Modified Cube - Thoughts?

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited August 2009 in Your mountain bikes
So here's my 2009 Cube LTD Pro with some upgrades (forks, bars, tyres and pedals):

Frame is a 16" - I tried the bigger frame but just found this size was easier to control.

Current spec:

Frame: Alu RFR Race Lite frame white/candy red
Forks: Rock shox Recon 351 U Turn set at 100mm (replaced the stock Tora SL)
Wheels: Alex RFR ZX24
Hubs: Shimano Deore
Brakes: Hayes Stroker Trail 180mm/160mm Rotors
Tyres: Conti Double Fighter 2 semi slick used for commute ( Nobby Nics for Weekend)
Front Mech: SLX Shadow
Rear Mech: XT Shadow
Chainset: Shimano M575
Seatpost: Easton EA30
Stem: Easton EA30
Bars: Truvativ Husstlefelt White
Saddle: San Marco Race 012100
Pedals: DMR V8 Red

Main.jpg

Main2.jpg

Forks.jpg

Bars.jpg

Seat.jpg

Comments

• xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Damn that red, it just makes you bite the frame.
    I like the pedals a lot. :D
    Red seatclamp needed.

Btw, edit you post and put the links in the IMG Code box on the left of the window in Share this image
    That way will work.
  • mr_eddy
    Cheers. Yep took me a while to sor the pics out.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    what size is the frame?looks awefully small. anyway looks really nice in white and red
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Hussefelt bar looks nice and white, but do you not think it is a bit OTT for the riding the bike was intended for?

Looks great though :D
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • mr_eddy
    No I don't think so. The ugrades I have made have made a real improvement to my riding, both on road and especially off road. The original Tora SL fork was not up to the job only have 80mm travel they would bottom out all the time regardless of how I tweaked them. Frame wise its a small which although probably an inch shorter than the ideal I much prefer the eager handling of the smaller frame. My local XC loops are very tight and technical and the smaller frame really copes well. On the road the raised seatpost makes the commute very comfortable and controllable.

Overall I am verry happy. The white handlebars were just a bit of fun really, I have a gift voucher which came with the purchase of the bike so needed to buy something! In terms of weight it has gone up by 1lb from the original weight but considering I have a more heavy duty fork I think this is acceptable. Also I find coil forks to be lower maintanence and generally a bit plusher on the trails.

The most noticeable difference is the tyres, the semi slicks are great on the road - really fast and have enough grip for simple off road duties. My nobby nics are brilliant at the rough stuff but were very slow on tarmac.

Cheers for all the comments.
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    mr_eddy

Fair enough...

Know what you mean about a smaller bike being faster out on the trails.
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • mr_eddy
    Cheers
  • mr_eddy
    Next thing for me is to stop being a scardy cat and take the plunge for SPD's. I have been putting them off for ages. I tried them a few years ago on my old Giant Yukon and it did not end well. I kept falling off for no apparent reason. I.e slowing down for traffic lights etc!!

Got loads of laughs but a few bruises too. However I think SPD's would make a big difference. The only trouble is finding some shoes that you can also wallk in, Last pair I tried on were like clogs!
  • mr_eddy
    I also have a second bike:

This is my 'nippin to the shops / going for a cheeky pint' bike. I actually really like it, so comfy but tips the scales at a cool 48lbs. Good job there are no hills to the pub!

[/img]activator.jpg
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Nice but that saddle is pants, I had one on for a summer & the 'San Marco' bit at the back wore holes into my riding trousers! It's like sandpaper.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    LOL at your second bike. :lol:
    The fork angle looks like it's made for supersonic speeds, so as the chain rings. :shock: