Is Campy 10 spd compatible with Shim 10 Spd?

GiantMike
GiantMike Posts: 3,139
edited August 2009 in Workshop
Hi

Quick question. I've been offered a cheap Campag 10 speed rear wheel with the cassette fitted. I have a 10 speed Shimano-based Giant and I'd like to know if it will work with my current set-up. I'm assuming I can't just change the cassette because they're a different hub?

Cheers

Mike

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Will it work - probably, after a little adjustment.
    You assumed right - different hub configuration.
    Ah, to be back in the "good old days" of freewheels and such. When pretty much everything fit everything else. Then again there were those down tube shifters. Never want to see them again.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I'd be surprised if it did properly, but I've not tried it.

Can you swap the freehub for a Shimano spec one, or is that defeating the 'cheapness' objective?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Simple answer - try it. You may need to adjust the barrel on the rear mech. Leonard Zinn may have some info on the tech pages of velonews or maybe something on the web. I have seen it done but at bit of fiddling may be neccessary
    M.Rushton
  • pedalrog
    pedalrog Posts: 633
    As long as the cassette matches the hub (Campag-Campag) it should work but you won't get the accuracy of using the same manufacturers bits for everything. Personally, I wouldn't do it but as you've been given the wheel, why not try it? There's nothing to lose, is there?
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    My LBS reckon they can get a Campag Ergo working perfectly with a Shimano wheel and cassette, but not the other way round. A cheap solution would be to buy a Jtec Shiftmate.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I don't have the wheel at the moment so I'll take a chance and get it delivered and have a go.

Thanks for the replies.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    You can always fit Shimano spacers if the cassette has loose sprockets.
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    My understanding is that the spacing between the cogs on the cassette is very slightly different, you set it up so that the indexing is correct mid cassette then if you are lucky the gear changes are still fairly smooth at either end. Won't be as good as it should be though.
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    Plus i think you may need a very thin shim to move the cassette over slightly, not sure about that one though.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    My LBS reckon they can get a Campag Ergo working perfectly with a Shimano wheel and cassette, but not the other way round.

Really? Could you find out how because its not perfect for me at the moment, hesitant and shifting 2 sprockets at a time :(
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.