new bike help please

francol
francol Posts: 9
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
need your help...which bike for 10 mile commute plus 60 mile weekend rides?

specialized allez sport 2010
trek 1.5 2010
giant defy 2
boardman road comp

cheers

Comments

• bourney
    bourney Posts: 12
    trek or the boardman
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Trek gets my vote.

I'd say Boardman, but there are plenty of horror stories on here about Halfords so tread carefully.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    The Boardman is the better bike IMHO, but I would take it elsewhere for any servicing.
    Cycling weakly
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Giant Defy 2, more relaxed geometry so better for commuting while still fast for weekend rides :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Boardman user here, but my friend rides a trek 1.5 so both get the thumbs up!
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    I've got the Defy 2.5 and i've recently started commuting 25miles each way (a couple of times a week) and just completed my first 60 mile weekend outing with a group.

I find it a really comfy ride
    us0.png
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Boardman is the most racey of those bikes......are you sure you want to commute on such a bike ?
  • Grazy81
    Grazy81 Posts: 196
    I have an allez 2010 for exactly the same needs as you and it has done me proud so far, it doesn't take normal mud guards though so depends if that bothers you or not.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    topdude wrote:
    Giant Defy 2, more relaxed geometry so better for commuting while still fast for weekend rides :D

+1

I'm happy with my Defy 2, I commute 20/25 miles a day and do 30 - 50 miles on a Sunday - the Defy 2 is great, but wish I'd gone for a full carbon frame now, at the time I couldn't justify spending the extra £££.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    ... what about a Spesh Secteur ?
  • Jimbo.
    Jimbo. Posts: 124
    Try them all. Whichever fits the best, and whichever is available, buy. No point opting for a Specialized by default if you can't get it to work for you fit-wise without changing all manner of parts and/or running things at the extremes of their adjustment! Ditto if they're unavailable which, currently, seemingly everything is!
  • speedo
    speedo Posts: 115
    go for the TREK
  • I tried a number of bikes and settled on the Trek 1.7 2009. Very glad I did, brilliant bike