Insurance Companies!!!!!

wayne65hen
wayne65hen Posts: 27
edited August 2009 in Campaign
I recently had 2 road bikes stolen from my garage. I have to say initally the insurance company ie COOP insurance services (CIS) where very good and processed my claim quickly, but there is a catch, I have to use Halfords for the replacements!

Now I wasn't overly concerned as one of the bikes was a Boardman Road team 2008 model, but there are no available Boardmans in the country (Carbon, which I was hoping to unpgrade to). When I discussed using other bikes shops, I was told that CIS had an agreement with Halfords whereby they get a discount, and as they do not have this agreement with other stores I would have a reduced settlement!!

Following a lot of discussion nothing was resolved, it appears if I don't use Halfords then everyones insurance premiums go up! So I apologise in advance.

I have also found out that Halfords will provide bikes form "selected" other manufacturers, Van Nicholas being one of them. I pursued this to be told that for the Chinook Ultegra equiped bike priced around £1680 in most stores ant by Van Nicholas, they would charge... £2100 !!!!!

Comments

• Sorry to go back to basics, but you don't have an agreement with Halfords, Coop Insurance does. You have an agreement with Coop to replace your bikes minus any excess applicable. You are not bound by their agreement with Halford which means you do not haveto accept a reduced settlement either.

If you upgrade, then that makes the direct replacement argument more difficult. It is unwise, however, to settle for whatever crap CIS offers.

If Van Nicholas offers £2100, you might be willing to sette for £2000?
  • Sorry to go back to basics, but you don't have an agreement with Halfords, Coop Insurance does. You have an agreement with Coop to replace your bikes minus any excess applicable. You are not bound by their agreement with Halford which means you do not haveto accept a reduced settlement either.

He is if the small print in the insurance documents say that he has to use halfords for a replacement, or recieve a reduced settlement.

It all depends on the piece of paper that was signed.