Anyone get to ride with Lance today?

screebs
screebs Posts: 178
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Was raging this mornng when I found out Lance Armstrong was looking for the company of local cyclists when in Paisley today?

Anyone go? News articles on BBC site sounded brilliant.

I was stuck 400 miles away in London with work when this was going on less than 6 miles from my house.

Screebs
Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/

Comments

• KevinMcC
    KevinMcC Posts: 95
    I was working in Glasgow and he cycled 5 mins from my house :(

Gutted
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    WHAT?! :shock: WHAT!

Damn! :evil: I wish I knew! I was working today, but I could easily have been feeling ill. Who cares if it's 20 miles away - just gives me some warming up for when I drop him on the hills. :P
  • mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    Yes, I was there. It was fantastic
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org
  • screebs
    mikeq wrote:

Did you keep up with him? for how long?

Must have been a great experience. I am jealous! :evil:
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Did any of those who say they hate him ride with him just so they can crow they rode with the cyclist they most hate :lol: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • mikeq
    screebs wrote:
    mikeq wrote:

I held on for about 8 miles, at my level that was flying. Couple of miles after howwood I decided to turn back as I had no idea where they were going, how long or what hills were ahead.

The pace kept up as we started to hit some smaller inclines, I would have been blowing out my arse pretty soon.

It's the first time I have been in a group that size and the sound of all those bikes flying along was amazing.

I'm still on a high, just an incredible experience. And can now say I've cycled in a peloton alongside armstrong and obree. :-)

www.velochallenge.org
  • screebs
    mikeq wrote:
    screebs wrote:
    mikeq wrote:

I held on for about 8 miles, at my level that was flying. Couple of miles after howwood I decided to turn back as I had no idea where they were going, how long or what hills were ahead.

The pace kept up as we started to hit some smaller inclines, I would have been blowing out my ars* pretty soon.

It's the first time I have been in a group that size and the sound of all those bikes flying along was amazing.

I'm still on a high, just an incredible experience. And can now say I've cycled in a peloton alongside armstrong and obree. :-)

Well done m8 - that's one to tell the grandchildren! :lol:

Can i just add? "You lucky sod!" 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just think, on September 13th, some lucky people will be able to say they have ridden with NapoleonD
  • KevinMcC
    KevinMcC Posts: 95
    mikeq what route did you lot take? Straight up past foxbar towards the braes or what? I stay 5 minutes form the lounsdale pub and if the route went past there I will be even more gutted!
  • mikeq
    KevinMcC wrote:
    mikeq what route did you lot take? Straight up past foxbar towards the braes or what? I stay 5 minutes form the lounsdale pub and if the route went past there I will be even more gutted!

Don't really know the area as from edinburgh but work in glasgow 2 days/week, how lucky was I.

Basically we headed west/south westish, through Johnstone, howwood (B776 according to google maps). Couple miles after howwood is where I turned around. But I'm guessing they did a loop maybe coming back in on B775 or A736.

www.velochallenge.org
  • stevenmh
    stevenmh Posts: 180
    I am surprised. He tweeted on Monday that he was going to do this on Tuesday and a top bike forum like this only had one (very new) member that rode in the possy? :roll:

I would have thought there would have been many more, bike cams, pictures, speeds the works.

Even the Beeb's journo was decked out in all the kit!!

What a great experience mikeq, and hats off to LA - pretty cool.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    dilemna wrote:
    Did any of those who say they hate him ride with him just so they can crow they rode with the cyclist they most hate :lol: .
    I didn't want to mention it for fear of waking the trolls, but the Lance-haters seem to have been a bit quiet for the last couple of days
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    LOL – I don’t think there are many people that hate (that is a strong word!) him mate but there are a few of us that don’t like him or his egocentric antics.

I think he is cunt personally though. 8)

If I had been there I would have been wearing my Alberto Contador top :D
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • stevenmh
    stevenmh Posts: 180
    blimey, how many Lance in Scotland threads does one forum need?!!!

Anyway for those that have not seen it, they should read Alan's report with pics on P3 of this thread.
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    It was a bit of a coincidence but we were in Glasgow that day checking my husband into Gartnavel Hospital for a final operation to rid him of his testicular cancer -we had read all about Lance's struggle only a few months before Steve's diagnosis so knew not to fear the worst - thanks for the insight Lance!.

I would never have been able to keep up with Lance's group but so wish I'd have known in time - would have nipped out of the hospital to get a photo for hubby, or more than likely got lost trying to find Paisley :lol: .
  • screebs
    AMcD wrote:
    It was a bit of a coincidence but we were in Glasgow that day checking my husband into Gartnavel Hospital for a final operation to rid him of his testicular cancer -we had read all about Lance's struggle only a few months before Steve's diagnosis so knew not to fear the worst - thanks for the insight Lance!.

I would never have been able to keep up with Lance's group but so wish I'd have known in time - would have nipped out of the hospital to get a photo for hubby, or more than likely got lost trying to find Paisley :lol: .

AMcD - It was nice to meet you and your hubby last Sunday at the Forfar audax. Hope everything went well on Tuesday with your husband, pass on my best wishes to him!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Forgive me but why were the Scots so privilged to get his presence? If he'd been in the South I would have been there. It sounded awesome to be able to ride with him. I wonder if the other pros have a remotely similar view of riding with him? Obviously Contador doesn't.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    dilemna wrote:
    Forgive me but why were the Scots so privilged to get his presence? If he'd been in the South I would have been there. It sounded awesome to be able to ride with him. I wonder if the other pros have a remotely similar view of riding with him? Obviously Contador doesn't.

Cos we're better than you :lol:

Seriously though, he was in Glasgow to watch U2 on Tuesday night.
  • MrHulot
    MrHulot Posts: 173
    I was really REALLY gutted. Had a work trip brought forward by a week at the last minute and was in the same Paisley hotel a week earlier than originally planned. If only I'd known....
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    when i read 'L Armstrong in Glasgow' I thought it was some sort of jazz tribute band......
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    screebs wrote:
    AMcD - It was nice to meet you and your hubby last Sunday at the Forfar audax. Hope everything went well on Tuesday with your husband, pass on my best wishes to him!

Thanks very much Screebs, everything went well and he might be home tomorrow. I haven't been out on my bike since my 'half audax' as spent some days in Glasgow but start today with a plan to do the Dalmeny one in November - and finish!
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Sorry to hijack the thread (well it's Screebs' anyway so I'm sure he won't mind) but best wishes to your hubby, AMCD!
  • screebs
    AMcD wrote:
    screebs wrote:

Thanks very much Screebs, everything went well and he might be home tomorrow. I haven't been out on my bike since my 'half audax' as spent some days in Glasgow but start today with a plan to do the Dalmeny one in November - and finish!

sounds better AMcD - hope Steve gets out of hospital tomorrow and you can try and get some normality back into your life. The cycling will take care of itself. Good luck.