Chainring

attica
attica Posts: 2,362
edited August 2009 in The workshop
It took me absolutely ages to source a black 44tooth chainring for my SS, and it's been something of a disappointment.

Initially I had to sit the back wheel right at the back of the dropout, taking a whole link out would have put the wheel way too far forward.
I thought this was the reason why I felt the occasional catch as chain met tooth before pinging into place, I couldn't get the chain tighter as it go too tight then at certain points of the pedal stroke.

So after much hunting, yesterday I sourced a single half link and put that in the chain, this solved the wheel positioning problem, but still didn't stop that occasional "near chain off" moment.

On closer examination I can see that the chainwheel itself (an unused Sughino BMX chainring as it goes) is pretty far from circular, this means that I can set the chain tension up to be too tight at some points of the pedal stroke and yet loose enough to nearly come off at other points.

Seems I'm back in the hunt for a 44 tooth (might even just say sod it and go 46 or 48, see what I can find).

Has anyone else experienced this sort of problem? Has anybody got a brand new chainring (preferably black 160mm BCD) that they don't want? Thanks in advance.
"Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"

Comments

• System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    Are you sure about the 160bcd? I didn't think they came bigger than 144mm.
  • attica
    TBH I can't remember exactly, it's been a while since I sourced the chainring.

I'll pootle off and double check...
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • attica
    You're right

It's a 110mm BCD (the 60 came from the 64.7mm centre to centre from Sheldon Brown)
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    You didn't say whether you needed 1/18th or 3/32 but the Thorn singlespeed chainrings are great quality for the price. I run the 130bcd version and it's nice and round, sorted my chain tension issues out instantly. I'll be replacing it with another when it finally wears out, which will probably be a long way off.
  • attica
    System, fantastic link, many thanks

I've ordered a new one straight away.

I'm running 3/32 chainrings with a 1/8th chain, I'm told this isn't a problem (I do have an old 3/32 chain kicking around which I've tried on the current set up too with no noticeable difference)
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"