Trek 1.2 T 2010

paulwakefield
paulwakefield Posts: 72
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
Hello everyone!

After lurking on these forums for a few weeks, searching and reading as much info as I can possibly take, I've decided to take the plunge and register for an account, and here I am. I'm Paul and live in Yorkshire.

After growing up with mountain bikes and doing miles everyday, I passed my driving test and that was the end of that, at least for 6 years. I recently got a scott sportster p55 hybrid, great for the trails and road alike, but now I want a road bike (i've secretly wanted one for as long as I can remember), I don't want to spend mega £££ to begin with, so I'm plumping for the Trek 1.2 T 2010. Now i've searched on these forums for as much info on this model as I can, yet I can't find much, theirs a lot on the 1.5 and practically every other bike I can think of, or maybe I'm not searching properly. But anyway can anyone give me some advice... is this a decent entry level road bike? Will it fair me well, I will mainly use it for 40-80 mile excurtions on a weekend, and some short commuting.

Any advice will be greatly received...

Paul.
That's my 2 cents,

Paul
Wakefield

Hybrid - Scott Sportster P5 2009
Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
twitter

Comments

• bramstoker
    bramstoker Posts: 250
    Just got one myself although mines a 2009, they got a good review in cycling magazine sept/oct issue with 90%. They say buy the 1.2 or the decathlon b`twin sport 2. Im comming from a hybrid so im having a couple of problems with to much weight on my hands and the saddles uncomfortable for me. But it feels a good bike, light and a good way to start on the road side of cycling.
    A feather is kinky, a whole chicken is just perverse.
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Buy this months cycling active from wh smiths. Its reviewed in there against 3 other bikes at the same price point. Does well.

Err actually it is the 2009 version which is the same apart from the colour!
  • Got the 2009 Trek 1.2 in June, more than happy with it ,commuting and riding at weekend, get different bar tape though, the white soon looks scruffy.
  • Downwardi
    Downwardi Posts: 132
    brownbosh wrote:
    Buy this months cycling active from wh smiths. Its reviewed in there against 3 other bikes at the same price point. Does well.

Err actually it is the 2009 version which is the same apart from the colour!

What other bikes was it up against ?
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • Downwardi
    I wanted the 1.2 2010 but it was unsure how long it would be for stock to be available in my size so i went with the 1.5.
    I tried the Giant Defy 3 2010 model but the 1.5 felt much better and a bit lighter - oh and it has the carborn forks, seatpost and tiagra kit.
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • speedo
    speedo Posts: 115
    Got a trek 1.2 double compact in the spring in black. - good level entry bike.
    currently riding around 130 miles a week, including a 60 miler on Sundays
    Would recommend
  • Just bought Cycling Active as advised, must admit it gets a good write-up, this is looking to be the bike i'll get. Also can't fault the magazine, very good read :P
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    downwardi i have given the mag to a friend but there was a budget decathalon, a raleigh and im afraid being an old git i cant remember the other one!!

Oooooh ive just remmebered it was a halfrauds carrera.
  • Downwardi
    brownbosh wrote:
    downwardi i have given the mag to a friend but there was a budget decathalon, a raleigh and im afraid being an old git i cant remember the other one!!

Oooooh ive just remmebered it was a halfrauds carrera.

Ok cheers
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie
  • Papapete
    Papapete Posts: 133
    paulwakefield - I can vouch for the value for money of the entry level Treks. I have the 1.5 (2009), but only went for that over the 1.2 for the tiagra / Sora set up, oh and the dashing lime green colour. Plump for the 1.2 and you wont be disappointed, but I do recommed getting the triple :wink:

You aslo say you have a scott Sportster P55 hybrid - just been looking at this as a family alternative for trails (possible winter riding as well) - would you recommend?

Cheers
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    I got the 1.2 in April, and I've never enjoyed cycling more. Never had a problem with it- bar punctures, but they're par for the course- and it runs like a dream. Very comfortable once you've got it set up properly (there's tons of info the web about how to do this if you're not sure...) and a real looker of a bike.

I use mine for exactly what you're describing, and it is the perfect bike for me.

I'm chuffed to bits with mine- and wouldn't change it for anything in a similar price bracket. Plus I can't, cos I'm broke. But I wouldn't anyway!

The one thing I would say would be to get better tyres than the ones that are provided. Climbing on slick roads in the wet, sometimes you get a bit of wheelspin with the tyres- but that is the only problem I have had- and it's pretty minor!

I <3 Trek 1.2
  • papapete - I would recommend, although it's a hybrid and has the skinny tires, I've thrown it round some harsh trails in some pretty dysmal conditions and never had an issue, it's a real all rounder... good speed on the road too.

The only slight issue is the brake blocks, might want to change the ones supplied were absolutly abysmal, but aside from that it's spot on ! :D
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter
  • Papapete
    Papapete Posts: 133
    Cheers Paulwakefield, sounds like I go and take me a proper look at one. Evans giving £70 off the 09 model, might get them to chuck in some decent brake blocks as well!!

Good luck with purchasing your road bike, as other posters have said, the Trek scored very well in the reveiws. Do find yourself a good LBS and make sure it is set up right, I had problems with the front chain mech, kept catching the chain in certain gears.

Cheers
  • I've had the 2010 1.2 triple for a couple of months now and as my first road bike for 25 years it's been great. Now up to doing 70-80 miles a week on it and the only problem I've had is the chain coming off once. It's also coped well with my 20st bulk which is quite an achievement.
  • Well I went down to my LBS today and road tested the Trek 1.2, I like a lot so will probably buy in a week or two when I sort my finances !

Thanks for the advise guys :)
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter
  • I got my Trek 1.2 2010 (double) a few months ago. Been commuting 100+ miles a week for a few years now on a good MTB w slicks. Been shopping at my LBS for many years and they kitted the Trek out with Bonty Race wheels and kevlar tyres (zero punctures so far). Absolutely love the bike, super acceleration & speed. The big hills I've always had to grit my teeth over have become the highlight of a ride.

I would recommend doing some research about compact double chainsets vs triples - my dealer said don't bother with triple as theres a very small difference in range. Glad I took the advice. Bike looks fantastic too, as many riders I've met have told me.

As for comfort - roadie friends had warned me against alu frames, but I have yet to experience any problems at all, having ridden many 50+ mile rides. I suppose a lot can be said for good shorts!
  • Got a 2wk old 1.2 the other month from someone that could not handle the transfer from MTB to road. Fool !!!!

Already upgraded with Bontrager race-light tyres in yellow but i've since fitted two white bottle cages, TREK computer and LOOK easy pedals..... looks great even when not moving.

Absolutely love it and will not be tempted till carbon comes calling !!!!!!!

Leesy...
    I like shiny bikes - especially Italian ones.....!!
  • Thanks for resurecting this thread, I had forgotten to post that I'd finally bought the bike in question 3 weeks ago, love it very much. I've bought some shimano clipless pedels just need the shoes now (was gonna buy the aldi shoes but they were discontinued!)
    That's my 2 cents,

Paul
    Wakefield

Road - Trek 1.5 2010

strava
    twitter