One for LiT, Cori et al

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat

Comments

• jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    If the fella loves apostophes that much he ought to be painting "S't John's Close". Anyway, "St John's Close" can be read as "St John is Close", which is a bit weird, no? :)
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Great Boo's up, Edmund
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    And here too... with added reader comments of The Telegraph variety. Dontcha just love 'em?
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    JonGinge wrote:
    Great Boo's up, Edmund
    Your ear muffs have fallen down again.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    jamesco wrote:
    If the fella loves apostophes that much he ought to be painting "S't John's Close". Anyway, "St John's Close" can be read as "St John is Close", which is a bit weird, no? :)

? S't isn't the recognised abbreviation of Saint though, so writing S't would be a bit nuts. Your other point is also invalid.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    edited August 2009
    _Brun_ wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Great Boo's up, Edmund
    Your ear muffs have fallen down again.

Is that a turnip shaped like a thingy :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Bravo to him!

One of my local stations is St Johns; every time I text National Rail Enquiries and don't need the apostrophe a little bit of me dies.

I can't find it via Google, but I did read a month or so ago about a Council (around Birmngham, I think) that was phasing out all apostrophes in road signs.

Sad, very sad.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Coriander wrote:
    Bravo to him!

One of my local stations is St Johns; every time I text National Rail Enquiries and don't need the apostrophe a little bit of me dies.

I can't find it via Google, but I did read a month or so ago about a Council (around Birmngham, I think) that was phasing out all apostrophes in road signs.

Sad, very sad.

You must live near me then!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Yes, i think I'd worked out that I do. There seem to be quite a few of us in this part of the world.
  • Shirley it should be St. John's Close. :twisted: My last house was on King's Avenue. We had an apostrophe and everything. :D
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I got this in an order confirmation email a couple of days ago:
    we will email you to let you know that its on it's way

:( Two wrongs don't a right make.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Coriander wrote:
    Yes, i think I'd worked out that I do. There seem to be quite a few of us in this part of the world.

in the Ghetto?
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    I always thought St Johns (or is it St John's?) was so close to Lewisham it was hardly worth having a station there. Although St Johns does sound much classier than Lewisham or Deptford!
  • I also find it quite funny that he 'pulled rank' on the soldier that challenged him... I would have enjoyed being a fly on the wall during that conversation.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Shirley it should be St. John's Close. :twisted: My last house was on King's Avenue. We had an apostrophe and everything. :D

according to a comment from the first link, you don't need the full stop if the last letter is in the abbreviation eg Dr and Prof.
  • Agent57
    jairaj wrote:
    you don't

One doesn't, Shirley? :lol:
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Agent57 wrote:
    jairaj wrote:
    you don't

One doesn't, Shirley? :lol:

'Surely you can't be serious? '

'I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.'

I love that film. :lol:
  • Agent57
    I love that film. :lol:

My favourite exchange comes from Airplane II: The Sequel. Had to Google to get the precise quotation, to get the plays on words correct:

Witness: Striker was the squadron leader. He brought us in real low. But he couldn't handle it.
    Prosecutor: Buddy couldn't handle it? Was Buddy one of your crew?
    Witness: Right. Buddy was the bombardier. But it was Striker who couldn't handle it, and he went to pieces.
    Prosecutor: *Andy* went to pieces?
    Witness: No. Andy was the navigator. He was all right. Buddy went to pieces. It was awful how he came unglued.
    Prosecutor: *Howie* came unglued?
    Witness: Oh, no. Howie was a rock, the best tailgunner in the outfit. Buddy came unglued.
    Prosecutor: And he bailed out?
    Witness: No. Andy hung tough. Buddy bailed out. How he survived, it was a miracle.
    Prosecutor: Then Howie survived?
    Witness: No, 'fraid not. We lost Howie the next day.
    Prosecutor: Over Macho Grande?
    Witness: No. I don't think I'll ever get over Macho Grande.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Ar5ehole is what he is. I know more than a mere corporal albeit one that has served in Afghanistan not in the sixites shooting at poorly armed guerillas.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Hate people who do air quotes - especially when they usually do it in the wrong place
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    Our town centre has a fairly new shopping area, the maps for which say "Broardwalk".
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    George Bernard Shaw was famously considered the apostrophe to be redundant, making Pygmalion one of the most difficult things I ever read at school. That is pretty good company for town council civil servants et al to be in, is it not?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • apostrophes-for-sale.gif
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions