My Singlespeed Inbred

boogercj
boogercj Posts: 316
edited October 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Before you ask, no, I don't have a beard :lol:

This is my first ever self build, and I've enjoyed mostly ever minute of it. It's is a little overbuilt, but I like to ride hard and weigh 15 stone! Spec:

Frame: 2009 On-One Inbred Not Sliding Dropout
Forks: Surly Instigator
Headset: FSA The Pig
Stem: Funn Serial Rippa
Bars: DMR Wingbar Cro-mo
Seatpost: Easton EA30
Saddle: SDG Freestyle
Cranks/BB: Deore Hollowtech II
Pedals: Gusset Slimjim
Chainring: Surly 32T (steel)
Cog: Gusset Double Six 16T
Chain: KMC 610HX 3/32"
Chain tensioner: Surly Singleator
Wheels: Mavic D521 on Deore LX Hubs
Tyres: Kenda Small Block 8, 2.1" Rear, 2.35" front
Brakes: XT and LX V-brakes with Avid SD5 levers, XT cables.

inbred.jpg

First ride was on Saturday - 25miles from Portsmouth down to the bottom of Hayling Island and back just to make sure everything's good and tight. Runs really smoothly and the riding position is great. Only 2 slight niggles - the seat is pretty uncomfortable for long rides and the bars are as stiff as hell, so I might change them for alloy ones soon.

Props to Charliethebikemonger, Parktools, Sheldon Brown, CRC, Wiggle and Bikeradar (especially Nicklouse,supersonic,sheepsteeth and blitz.)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    thats good looking, shame the bars dont suit, they look pretty good on there.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Cant decide if I like those bars or not on that bike. Looks interesting, though.
    boogercj wrote:
    Frame: 2009 On-One Inbred Not Sliding Dropout
    Chain tensioner: Surly Singleator

What happened there? :shock:

You don't ever do the Tuesday night rides from Wallington do you..?
  • boogercj
    Ah yes - what happened there was I'd basically bought V-brakes, which is what I'd always specced the bike out to have and then realised the sliding dropout frame doesn't have V-brake mounts. Can't really understand why On-One have done that, but hey-ho!

The Surly Singleator works really well though, and despite what I've read, hardly makes any noise.

Bars are likely to be replaced with ally ones as the front end bloody stiff at the moment with those cro-mo forks and bars :roll:

Oh, I'm in Portsmouth, so I don't get up to Surrey very often ;)
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Yeah, and I've got a Surly Singleator as well, never had any problems with it. Hardly know its there, it just works.

And Wallington isn't in Surrey, its part of Fareham, on the Portchester side. Although I guess that's a no, anyway. Know a few guys from Portsmouth, and one or two ride inbreds and ride with us.
  • Anonymous
    boogercj wrote:
    then realised the sliding dropout frame doesn't have V-brake mounts. Can't really understand why On-One have done that, but hey-ho!
    You're joking, right?

Sliding dropout, meant that the wheel moves to tension the chain, throwing the brake boss position out of whack :roll:
  • richara3
    richara3 Posts: 153
    inbred.jpg
  • boogercj
    boogercj wrote:
    then realised the sliding dropout frame doesn't have V-brake mounts. Can't really understand why On-One have done that, but hey-ho!
    You're joking, right?

Sliding dropout, meant that the wheel moves to tension the chain, throwing the brake boss position out of whack :roll:

:oops: :oops: :oops:

You got me! I is being well fick, innit :wink:
  • Anonymous
    :lol:

no offence meant. Easy to overlook things sometimes! :lol:
  • boogercj
    Hehe, none taken chap :wink:

Deffo easy to overlook the simplest things. I e-mailed On-One saying "I think you've sent me the wrong V brake bosses" and then realised the 2 "aluminium bits" included in the box were in fact mounts for the bosses that had to be screwed to the frame! I had to send a very embarrased e-mail back asking them to igonre it!
    :roll:
  • So I've got a few changed in store for the Autumn now I've racked up a few hundered miles on the Inbred.

Front end is gong to completely change, with a set of Tora U-Turn 302's replacing the rigid forks. Bars will be changed to these 6061 Risersfrom Exotic, with matching 60mm stem.

Then I'm gonna stick on some Kenda Nevegal 2.35/2.1's for the Autumn/winter.

I've had a few thoughts along the lines of going for a 9spd cassette to make the climbs easier and downhills faster, but I'm going to persevere with the singlespeeding for the moment (it's frustrating at times!)
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    Tora's and Exotic bars/stem eh - have you been talking to 'Sonic by any chance??? :wink:
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Are you sure you don't have a beard? :lol:

Not my cup of tea in terms of SS and rigid, but it's nice looking. Interested to see what you do with it.
  • RealMan wrote:
    Yeah, and I've got a Surly Singleator as well, never had any problems with it. Hardly know its there, it just works.

And Wallington isn't in Surrey, its part of Fareham, on the Portchester side. Although I guess that's a no, anyway. Know a few guys from Portsmouth, and one or two ride inbreds and ride with us.

Actually, Wallington IS in Surrey, I should know I lived there for two years ;) There's more than one Wallington in the UK.... :)

Nice irg buy the way, the bars look a bit odd, defo look nicer with alloy risers!
  • Hehe, I completely missed Realman's post before. You're right I don't go on those rides, but would be good to hear where you guys go, as I've pretty much just ridden round Stansted forest and up QE park for teh last few weeks and am in need of some inspration!

Cheers Cheesey; I think the bike coudl do with a bit more "focus" as it's a bit of a mish-mash at the mo'. It definitely wants to be an XC/Singltrack bike, so gone will be the rigid forks and the ridiculous DJ style forks and bars. Who knows, may even get some gears at some point!
  • boogercj
    Right, so I've replaced a few parts and believe I've turned this heavy, weird looking ugly duckling into a beautiful swan :lol:

Uprades:

RS Tora 302 U-turn
    Exotic Cycles 6061 riser bars 620mm
    Exotic Cycles Meta 6061 Stem 60mm (+6 degrees)
    SDG Bel Air RL Saddle
    Maxxis Advantage 2.1 tyres

IMAGE_009.jpg

Much, much better methinks.
  • boogercj wrote:
    You're joking, right?

But the wheel position wouldn't move that much in that the V-Brake's can be adjusted to suit the wheel position (can move the pads up and down the brake arms).... Isn't thats how BMX's work??
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    it does work. how do you think people used sliding drop outs before disc brakes! In fact I have an on one sliding drop out frame with v-bosses and no disc mounts. Heres a little picture of that:
    P1010045.jpg
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • Anonymous
    eh?
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    boogercj wrote:
    inbred.jpg

aww, bless. ickle spastic bicycle.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'm welding slot-disc mounts onto my white inbred.

It's going to be all white, must do some pics of the parts on it currently and the bits it will have on....

My rather trick build will be:

Sids (or lefty for racing)
    White DT XR4.2D laced onto white (painted) hope hubs with sapim cx-ray spokes
    Raceface deus xc cranks in white
    Fireeye singles speed kit with sprocket guides in white
    white chain
    white mg1
    white spank bars and stem
    white grips
    white avid elixir CR carbon
    white on one saddle
    white FSA orbit mx headset

all other small bits done in white as well

8)
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    eh?

can you be a little more specific?
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • Anonymous
    erm. No, I don;t think I can. :?
  • boogercj
    aww, bless. ickle spastic bicycle.

Yeah, yeah, hehehehehe :roll: . IIt's a much better bike now; nonetheless spasticated though :lol:

I am mightily impressed by the Toras BTW; yes they are heavy but they work well and feel plush. Being 15 stone I'm using all the of the 130mm travel to get the right amount of sag.