No lid sunny days

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Thats it.....my lid smells like old socks, I am there fore helmetless at the moment.....Not a great situation, but the wind in my hair and the sun beating on my face is magical!

Roll on panda eyes from my sunglasses....

Anyone else dropped the lid for summer?

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Used to not wear the lid for short, local off road (but on nice path's) rides. Until Sunday when I went down like a sack of spuds. Helmet would not have helped but it makes you think. Now will have on all the time.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I have - I sweat like a fool when wearing it during the summer... I've got a Specialized Propero helmet on order for my b'day next week. Hopefully this will cure the cooling issue and stop the SO from worrying.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    I lose mine when off roading but wear it for commuting. Its definately nicer to go lidless (and I'm totaly bald) :shock:
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    Not wanting to start up the helmet/no helmet war, but I tend to wear mine only when off roading, which isn't very often these days. Should I be wearing it on my 3 mile commute?
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • DevUK wrote:
    Not wanting to start up the helmet/no helmet war, but I tend to wear mine only when off roading, which isn't very often these days. Should I be wearing it on my 3 mile commute?

if you want to? if not don't. there is no should here.
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Thats it.....my lid smells like old socks, ...

I've heard (from my sister-in-law) that you can very successfully pull out the pads and put them through the washing machine to sort out this issue.

However, being a bloke, I've no first hand experience of doing so...

_
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I tend to wear mine all the time.

For very long (we're talking more than half an hour) climbs, I might take it off and hang it off the handlebars if it's a hot day.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    DevUK wrote:

Are you planning on falling off?
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Hey Jax
    Hey Jax Posts: 107
    when we had that really hot spell, i went lid-less and absolutely loved the breeze and sunshine on my hair. I have a LOT of hair and usually arrive at work with sweaty helmet-hair. when i didnt use my lid, i did feel vulnerable in a strange way, even tho i know they wouldnt protect in a serious collision, and a bit of a rebel!

:wink:
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Yep - smelly helmet pad inners can be put in the wash with the rest of your kit - solves the disgusting smell problem instantly. If you've got lots of small pads as opposed to a one piece - also anyone familiar with washing machines might know about the small mesh bags with a drawstring that can either be used with some washing products or some ladies use them to stop 'delicates' disappearing in the machine are useful to stop the smaller pads going missing.

I always wear a lid on road and off - same as someone above - may take the lid off on very long climbs if its a very hot day.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    The breeze in your hair is what cycling is all about.

Its very liberating :D
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I thought about it but I just feel weird. I've suffered through this year but next year i'm spending big bucks on a new lid for extra coolness. Shortlist is Bell Array/sweep, Spec 2D and Catlike whisper plus. I'm edging towards the catlike they are badass.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Hey Jax
    Hey Jax Posts: 107
    prawny wrote:
    I thought about it but I just feel weird. I've suffered through this year but next year i'm spending big bucks on a new lid for extra coolness. Shortlist is Bell Array/sweep, Spec 2D and Catlike whisper plus. I'm edging towards the catlike they are badass.

ive yet to see anyone looking cool in a hat!!... but will check these out!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I went lidless for a few days on the basis that roads were significantly down on traffic due to the holidays. Felt great and sweated less, but after reading about yesterday's incident on London Bridge I put the lid on this morning. Head temp increased even with the buff as a liner :roll:

Funnily enough I don't use it on the weekends, only when commuting (RP social excepted) .
  • Harrid
    Harrid Posts: 22
    I cracked my forehead in a non-cycling related accident

It was a 1.5 inch cut slap bang in the middle of my forehead... and the amount of blood that poured out of me was scary

Luckily my mum was at home to get me up to the hospital.

I used to go half and half with wearing a helmet, but I'd definately wear one now knowing that even a small head wound can produce such spectaculal results!

oh yeah, and wearing the helmet at the time prevented people from noticing that with a huge bump on my forehead I looked just like a Klingon