RLJ Forum

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Probably been suggested before but.......

Could we have a separate forum where all the RLJ debaters can happily say 'yes you should' and 'oh no you shouldn't' followed by 'oh yes you should' responded to by 'oh but really you shouldn't' until the end of the world, hell freezes over, something good is shown on Channel 5 etc etc?

It is getting a bit silly here!
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    it's *always* silly in here! 8)

Did you not notice? :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rolf_f

Is it? Crikey - I never did. Mind you, I am the most sensible person on the planet so I don't really register silliness that much. :|
  • Rolf F wrote:

Is it? Crikey - I never did. Mind you, I am the most sensible person on the planet so I don't really register silliness that much. :|

holy moly. first you start yet another thread with RLJ in the title to discuss not discussing RLJ and then you come out with a deadpan gem like that. genius.
  • rolf_f
    holy moly. first you start yet another thread with RLJ in the title to discuss not discussing RLJ and then you come out with a deadpan gem like that. genius.

And that reminds me - why, having defrosted my fridge this weekend, is my milk now freezing? It didn't before. I'm sure I haven't reset anything. How am I supposed to pour milk in my tea if it is all in solid lumps? And what about my cereal tomorrow morning? Eh? Answer me that!
  • I can see you are a master in the art of irony and I dare not compete.

Maybe you should adjust the temperature setting on you fridge so your milk doesn't freeze?
  • rolf_f
    Maybe you should adjust the temperature setting on you fridge so your milk doesn't freeze?

That's pretty clever. I just might try that if all else fails.
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Rolf F wrote:

That's pretty clever. I just might try that if all else fails.

Ever tried to RLJ? You might get the cold shoulder from some people and that might just be enough to chill your milk/

-Spider-
  • Rolf F wrote:

And that reminds me - why, having defrosted my fridge this weekend, is my milk now freezing? It didn't before. I'm sure I haven't reset anything. How am I supposed to pour milk in my tea if it is all in solid lumps? And what about my cereal tomorrow morning? Eh? Answer me that!

It's made your fridge cool more efficiently due to the absence of ice.

Oh, sorry, I've completely missed the point. Why so serious?

In other news, one of my two remaining chilli plants has died. The one remaining one, soon to be known as Drax the (chilli plant) Destroyer, had better produce some damn chillies.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Rolf F wrote:

In other news, one of my two remaining chilli plants has died. The one remaining one, soon to be known as Drax the (chilli plant) Destroyer, had better produce some damn chillies.

IF this is a reference to whom I think it is, I'm in love with you.

Yes I'm that much of a comic book geek, nothing gets past me. How did you come up with the name?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • In other news, one of my two remaining chilli plants has died. The one remaining one, soon to be known as Drax the (chilli plant) Destroyer, had better produce some damn chillies.
    If it's not produced any fruit by now then the chances are looking slim. Is it still producing flowers or has it gone all flacid :wink: ?
    Plenty of water? Are you digitally pollinating the flowers as they appear?
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • choirboy
    choirboy Posts: 132
    Are you digitally pollinating the flowers as they appear?

No, still analogue here...

Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • So should helmets be compulsory?
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • DonDaddyD wrote:

Yes I'm that much of a comic book geek, nothing gets past me. How did you come up with the name?

And there was me thinking it was a reference to the Power Station I sail by every Friday on my way back to the big smoke, gutted.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155

And there was me thinking it was a reference to the Power Station I sail by every Friday

Ahoy there.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    DonDaddyD wrote:

And there was me thinking it was a reference to the Power Station I sail by every Friday on my way back to the big smoke, gutted.

That occured to me too, Drax being one of the major sources of greenhouse gases in the UK. So the name seems quite apt.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    I was going with Drax from Moonraker...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DonDaddyD
    Sewinman wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

That occured to me too, Drax being one of the major sources of greenhouse gases in the UK. So the name seems quite apt.

You are all leaf eating geeks.

Drax the Destroyer is this guy:

77225-172387-drax-the-destroyer_large.jpg
    250272912_86eddfc245.jpg?v=0
    731997-drax_the_destroyer_3_super.jpg

Guess I'm no longer in love with LiTs :cry: (I bet she is sighing with relief...) :lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

That one was for you, DDD, I thought you'd enjoy it. I looked it up on the wikipedia, I knew there was a green-ish dude called something the destroyer but couldn't remember his name.

Anyhow, you'll be pleased to hear that Drax the (chilli plant) Destroyer is gloating in his current position as the only chilli plant and is celebrating by growing a chilli. His rival has gone all flaccid and given up, just like the other two did.

I can't help thinking I'm somehow to blame.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    You're loving the word flaccid at the mo LiTs!
  • I'm growing chilli's too. I've got two, no names yet.

One of them is apparently "the hottest chilli in the world", approximately 4 times hotter than the scotch bonnet (I don't recall the name but it originates from Pakistan). The other is a standard jalapeno. Both are fruiting.

The guy who sold them to me was a class act. Proper hippy dippy gardening type. It was at a summer Fayre/Festival.

He actually told me that you have to "treat them mean". Don't over water. He said an eggcup full every fortnight. Also don't give them too much space, i.e. keep them in a small pot.

Mine are in a constant state of flaccidness (flaccidity?). This is occassionally enlivened for a very short period of time when they are given water.

Must think up some comic hero style names...
  • I'm growing chilli's too. I've got two, no names yet.

One of them is apparently "the hottest chilli in the world", approximately 4 times hotter than the scotch bonnet (I don't recall the name but it originates from Pakistan). The other is a standard jalapeno. Both are fruiting.

The guy who sold them to me was a class act. Proper hippy dippy gardening type. It was at a summer Fayre/Festival.

He actually told me that you have to "treat them mean". Don't over water. He said an eggcup full every fortnight. Also don't give them too much space, i.e. keep them in a small pot.

Mine are in a constant state of flaccidness (flaccidity?). This is occassionally enlivened for a very short period of time when they are given water.

Must think up some comic hero style names...

Hmmmmm interesting... I re-potted mine into bigger pots on the advice of a friend... maybe that's why they keep going flaccid and dying... or maybe the flaccid state is normal for a chilli plant. They just all looked so dead next to Drax, he looks very alive and well indeed.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    His rival has gone all flaccid and given up, just like the other two did.

Is this what usually happens to rivals for your affection?
  • His rival has gone all flaccid and given up, just like the other two did.

Is this what usually happens to rivals for your affection?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes. :shock:
  • DonDaddyD

That one was for you, DDD, I thought you'd enjoy it. I looked it up on the wikipedia, I knew there was a green-ish dude called something the destroyer but couldn't remember his name.
    :D :oops:
    Food Chain number = 4

• rolf_f

Me so serious? Naaah, not serious - just random.

And, on the subject of flaccid plants (see - I'm much less random today!), my Yucca keeps randomly (well, the Yucca is still random I suppose) going flaccid. All of a sudden, its two trunks start flopping over and I have to cane them up to keep it pointing in the right direction - and then, randomly again, it comes back to, ahem, stiffness. Doing OK now though. My wierd unidentifiable stalky plant almost pegged out this year too but rallied and is now looking a bit more healthy...... Might post a pic incase someone might recognise it.......
  • Rolf F wrote:

Me so serious? Naaah, not serious - just random.

And, on the subject of flaccid plants (see - I'm much less random today!), my Yucca keeps randomly (well, the Yucca is still random I suppose) going flaccid. All of a sudden, its two trunks start flopping over and I have to cane them up to keep it pointing in the right direction - and then, randomly again, it comes back to, ahem, stiffness. Doing OK now though. My wierd unidentifiable stalky plant almost pegged out this year too but rallied and is now looking a bit more healthy...... Might post a pic incase someone might recognise it.......

Ohhh no it was me who was being serious, you know, providing a serious answer to fridge-related queries...

Maybe I should stop throwing the chilli plants away when they go flaccid... perhaps there's a normal alternation between flaccid and turgid.
  • rolf_f
    Ohhh no it was me who was being serious, you know, providing a serious answer to fridge-related queries...

Maybe I should stop throwing the chilli plants away when they go flaccid... perhaps there's a normal alternation between flaccid and turgid.

Oh right - no worries about serious though. Even serious has its place in society!

Yep - stop binning the chillis. Flaccid and turgid alternations is part of normal life.......

My Ficus started moulting after I bought it. I kept moving it as I assumed it didn't like where it was but, in reality, it was the moving it didn't like. By the time I finished moving it, it had died on one trunk altogether and the rest looked very moth eaten. I stuck with it and 7 years later it looks alright from some angles! House plants are meant to be a continual battle between the forces of life and death :D
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Liv, when they go flaccid, water them.

• And there was me thinking it was a reference to the Power Station I sail by every Friday

Ahoy there.

More 'Choo Choo' or in the case of 'ull Trains, clunk clunk, stop.

On a point almost related to the OP (well more so than the flaccid associated comments), I've noted that trains stop at Red Lights and that if my memory serves me right, nasty things tend to happen if they don't. :?
  • biondino wrote:
    Liv, when they go flaccid, water them.

I do... It doesn't help.