Thread To Tell Everyone What Fettling You've Just Done

Comments

• Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    biondino wrote:
    It turns out however that the leakage rate of CO2 is huge, and the reason is that it is actually soluble in butyl rubber

So, basically, your tyres have gone fizzy.
    :lol:
  • Underscore wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    It turns out however that the leakage rate of CO2 is huge, and the reason is that it is actually soluble in butyl rubber

So, basically, your tyres have gone fizzy.

:lol::lol:

I did actually, genuinely, laugh out loud at that. A very undignified snort followed by some giggling.
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    Does cleaning your bike count? ;) Given the MTB and hybrid a good cleaning (long over due). Problem is I need to lube my gear cables now. I found that out on the way to work this morning.

Gave the brakes on the Hybrid a tune up too :)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Jamey wrote:
    Mmm... Adjusting girls to be horizontal...

Anyway, I was meant to be fettling my mate's rear ...... lunchtime ......... we're doing it tomorrow now. I'm not holding .......as I think his ....is a bit bent .....

NEVER EVER EVER speed read some posts!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Whipped a mech hanger off a scrapped Speccy Sirrus along with the seat collar, not fettling of my bike but did envolve the use of tools :D
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I ate a 1kg steak but seeing as i have no idea what a kg is I guess that's not relevant, OT me never :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Washed the Jetstream, and degreased & relubed both that and the Viner (which may have the odd bit of dirt on it, who cares?...shouldn't have got a white bike, lol).

Is it me or do some chains and cassettes never seem to really come clean?
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    My chain *needs* a clean but last time I used the bath, my flat mate didn't speak to me for a week...

Hang on :lol:
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I'm not going to be taking the fixie to Wales! Are you mad?

In other news, my pannier rack fell off on the way to rowing last night, so I fixed it with the shoulder strap from my pannier. Yep, I am queen of cr@ppy makeshift repairs. The sad thing is that it'll be like that for weeks...
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Just finished fixing a pile of tubes that have been gathering dust and causing maritial friction.
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    Woke up 5.30 this morning, cleaned drivetrain, brakes and pedals, fitted new chain.

Obviously knocked front derailer in process as said chain snapped 4 miles in to commute after some nasty unexpected derailer/chainring contact. Adjusted derailer. Fixed chain (without powerlink). Now to LBS at lunchtime...
  • redvee

In other news, my pannier rack fell off on the way to rowing last night

You rode your bike to a pre-arranged argument last night :? Must be an Essex based girl thing.

Not on my own bike but I had to turn a tyre around on a colleagues MTB as the direction arrows pointed the other way. Took longer to get the wheel out of the frame than it did to turn the tyre around as I didn't want to get my hands oily :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    redvee wrote:

In other news, my pannier rack fell off on the way to rowing last night

You rode your bike to a pre-arranged argument last night :? Must be an Essex based girl thing.

Not on my own bike but I had to turn a tyre around on a colleagues MTB as the direction arrows pointed the other way. Took longer to get the wheel out of the frame than it did to turn the tyre around as I didn't want to get my hands oily :lol:

Why didn't you just turn the whole wheel around????? :?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • I've washed my bottles inside and out. Hell yeah!
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Saddle moved back - it's now stopped creaking and I've not got back ache.
    Put the original clipless pedals back on CX after swapping them for flats

This weekend:

Fit new rear wheel to MTB and put on the new chain
    Fit cross top levers to CX
    Swap current CX pedals to MTB and put new pedals on CX
    Usual weekly cleaning and oiling

I thought cycling was suppoed to save me money
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    pastryboy wrote:
    I thought cycling was suppoed to save me money

What a foolish notion! :lol:
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Only been commuting 3 1/2 months already spent more than the cost of an annual travelcard :oops:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Relaced a wheel onto a new rim, and did truing stage 1 (tm).

Truing stage 2 (tm) will probably wait until tomorrow.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    pastryboy wrote:
    Only been commuting 3 1/2 months already spent more than the cost of an annual travelcard :oops:

Move further away!
  • redvee

Rear wheel with disc :!:
  • Kieran_Burns
    redvee wrote:

Rear wheel with disc :!:

don't you get logical with me 8)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I realised on my way home that my brake pads had worn so that the levers hit the bars before full power :shock:

Fettled and sorted last night with a squirt of chain lube again this mornin. Finish line dry lube is ghey.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Toe'd in my Tricross brake pads to try and ease juddering - never even heard of the expresion till yesterday!! Pi**ing down today, so took train (no mudguards yet) so will only find out if it works this evening. Also changed pump attachment to bottle cage to correct way round..... after foot kept clipping it....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • I've fitted the bar ends on my commuter (an old steek rigid Kona Cinder Cone) inboard of the brake and gear levers, looks strange but feels more comfortable.
  • prawny wrote:
    I realised on my way home that my brake pads had worn so that the levers hit the bars before full power :shock:

Fettled and sorted last night with a squirt of chain lube again this mornin. Finish line dry lube is ghey.
    Erm, Prawny, don't know how to break this to you, but I'm not sure a squirt of chain lube is the best solution for worn brakepads :shock:

:wink:
  • prawny
    duncedunce wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Erm, Prawny, don't know how to break this to you, but I'm not sure a squirt of chain lube is the best solution for worn brakepads :shock:

Ahh crap! That explains why I was so fast in today though :D
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Kieran_Burns
    prawny wrote:
    duncedunce wrote:
    prawny wrote:

Ahh crap! That explains why I was so fast in today though :D

and your sudden conversion to Christianity :wink:

JEEEEEEESSSSSUUUUUUSSSSSS!!!!!

OOOOOOOHHHHHHH GGGGGGGGOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!

2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    I just cleaned my girlfriends bike on the weekend (trying to encourage her to use it more) and found two new gears! Halfords had apparently decided she didn't need them so left them out when they indexed it.

Bloody Halfords.
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    My last fettling was unintended... A P*ncture on the way to work this morning.

But explain this to me...
    • Cycling to work, brakes are completely silent
    • Get puncture
    • Pull over
    • Release brakes
    • Remove wheel
    • Fix puncture
    • Replace wheel
    • Hook brakes back up
    • Continue riding to work
    • Brakes now squealing (well, more like groaning) incredibly loudly.
    • After about five miles brakes stop groaning again of their own accord.
    Anyone got any ideas what happened? The fact that it began after replacing the wheel and then disappeared of its own accord would tend to suggest it was something that wore off with use, as you'd expect from something on the braking surface but I'm pretty sure I didn't contaminate the rim with any muck while I was changing the tube.
  • prawny
    Jamey wrote:
    My last fettling was unintended... A P*ncture on the way to work this morning.

But explain this to me...
    • Cycling to work, brakes are completely silent
    • Get puncture
    • Pull over
    • Release brakes
    • Remove wheel
    • Fix puncture
    • Replace wheel
    • Hook brakes back up
    • Continue riding to work
    • Brakes now squealing (well, more like groaning) incredibly loudly.
    • After about five miles brakes stop groaning again of their own accord.
    Anyone got any ideas what happened? The fact that it began after replacing the wheel and then disappeared of its own accord would tend to suggest it was something that wore off with use, as you'd expect from something on the braking surface but I'm pretty sure I didn't contaminate the rim with any muck while I was changing the tube.

Bogeys? Transfer from finger to rim when you took the wheel out? Check your levers too. Bogeys mke a racket, you're lucky it wasn't warmer, snot is an excellet lubricator.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017