SRAM Powerlink dramas...

Ruari
Ruari Posts: 217
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Hi, I've recently had my Shimano chain replaced by a SRAM Powerlink one after a bike service.
Problem is, I can't seem to undo it. I've watched the videos on youtube and tried unsuccessfully several times to undo it, but no cigar.
Anyone else have any troubles with their Powerlink?
Any tips from those who've made it work?
Thanks
FCN 1

Comments

• topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Never had a problem undoing the link, just squeeze the side plates together and slide them in the direction that puts the pins in line with the larger inner holes.
    I find it helps to have a short length of stiff wire bent into a hook at both ends, hook this to the chain giving a loop of slack chain where the link is. :D
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Is it 10 speed? If it is 10 speed it is Powerlock not Powerlink and can't be undone.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • bing14
    bing14 Posts: 9
    I had exactly the same problem with my 10spd powerlink - pretty sure it wasn't the "powerlock" mentioned above.. Anyway after hours of frustration i bought myself one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7781

Slightly customised needle-nosed pliers (with the tips bent inwards) apparently work too!
  • gabriel959
    The thing is that there is only PowerLink for 8spd and 9spd chains. For 10 spds chains it is called Powelock and can't be undone and reused like 9spd and 8spd ones, you will also need a tool to undo it.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • bing14
    bing14 Posts: 9
    aha thats interesting.. I reused mine! Should I have done? Haven't had any problems in the 500miles or so I've done on it since..
  • gabriel959
    I had a look at the Sram website and apparently the PC-1070 and the PC-1090 use the Powerlock link but I can't seem to find a 10spd Powerlink anywhere to buy, only 8sp and 9sp equivalents.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • Ruari
    Had a look, and it's a PC 1030, 10spd, silver coloured chain with a black Powerlock/Powerlink.
    FCN 1
  • Ruari
    Thank you gabriel959 and bikeradar!
    Just had a look at the bikeradar news section and SRAM is doing a recall on 10spd Powerlock links made between Jan and July 2009 (see this for more info) ://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/sram-issues-powerlock-voluntary-recall-22750

So, mine needs replacing...
    Check yours if you have a black SRAM Powerlock link with the letter M or N on it, and get it swapped at your nearest SRAM dealer.
    FCN 1
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Think SRAM is causing some confusion with some unclear messaging....I was sold a 1070 (powerlock) chain being told the link was reusable, but I read the instructions when I was installing and seems it's a one use only item. To break the chain again, it looks like I need to use a chain tool, but I'm unsure if i:

1. Break it at the powerlock and then replace with a new powerlock link
    2. Break elsewhere and replace with that link with a powerlock one
    3. Break elsewhere but just reclose that link after

I'm assuming it's 2, but the instructions with the chain seem very vague to me.
  • chriskempton
    Ruari wrote:
    Thank you gabriel959 and bikeradar!
    Just had a look at the bikeradar news section and SRAM is doing a recall on 10spd Powerlock links made between Jan and July 2009 (see this for more info) ://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/sram-issues-powerlock-voluntary-recall-22750

So, mine needs replacing...
    Check yours if you have a black SRAM Powerlock link with the letter M or N on it, and get it swapped at your nearest SRAM dealer.

Thanks Ruari, but do you know what to do next time you want to split and rejopin your chain after changing the recalled Powerlink?
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    bing14 wrote:
    I had exactly the same problem with my 10spd powerlink - pretty sure it wasn't the "powerlock" mentioned above.. Anyway after hours of frustration i bought myself one of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7781

Slightly customised needle-nosed pliers (with the tips bent inwards) apparently work too!

I bought these instead, a bit cheaper and do the job - http://www.parker-international.co.uk/1 ... liers.html
  • Ruari
    Thanks Ruari, but do you know what to do next time you want to split and rejopin your chain after changing the recalled Powerlink?

I don't know what to do, but have just rung my LBS to ask if they've heard about the recall, and they said they hadn't, but to bring my bike in for a replacement.

If they only replace the link, then I'll ask them what I should do when I want to 'break' the chain for cleaning.

Before this post I assumed, wrongly, that the 10spd link was the PowerLink, not the PowerLock.
    FCN 1
  • dodgy
    When you ask them what you're supposed to do they will point you to the link pliers that I and another poster linked to.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Think SRAM is causing some confusion with some unclear messaging....I was sold a 1070 (powerlock) chain being told the link was reusable, but I read the instructions when I was installing and seems it's a one use only item. To break the chain again, it looks like I need to use a chain tool, but I'm unsure if i:

Isn't that the fault of the shop you bought the link from and not the fault of SRAM who seem to be very clear about the fact that the 10 speed powerlock is not reusable?
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you need a reusable link then get a KMC missing link.
    More problems but still living....
  • Ruari
    dodgy wrote:
    When you ask them what you're supposed to do they will point you to the link pliers that I and another poster linked to.

Aha, sorry, though that your suggestions were good, but that the LBS might have some other answer. :oops:

Thanks for your replies, I will wait and see what the LBS replaces the link with (they phoned back and might replace the complete chain) and take it from there.

If they only replace the PowerLock link then I shall endeavour to buy one of your thoughtful suggestions. :wink:
    FCN 1
  • dodgy
    amaferanga wrote:
    If you need a reusable link then get a KMC missing link.

Yep, they're much easier to join and take off than the SRAM alternatives, and they're endorsed as 're-usable' by KMC I believe, even for the 10 speed ones.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Yup, I have put a KMC misssing link in my 105 10 speed chain to make chain removal a doddle.

I'd assumed with the Powerlock ones you're meant to break the chain at the Powerlock linkthen throw it away and use a new one on reassembly?

Mind you, with the old Shimano joining pins you're meant to break the chain somewhere else, so who knows.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Yeah forget about using SRAM powerlocks and buy KMC missing links instead, reusable and work fine with Shimano and SRAM chains.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I would go KMC Missing Links every time. Dependable and easy to use again and again.

I put a 10 speed SRAM PowerLink on my Shimano 105 chain and it skipped like crazy.

Never had a problem with KMC...
  • chriskempton
    amaferanga wrote:

Isn't that the fault of the shop you bought the link from and not the fault of SRAM who seem to be very clear about the fact that the 10 speed powerlock is not reusable?

I don't think SRAM instructions are very clear at all, so I don't really blame the shop, but yeah they could have been more knowledgeable. I'll be letting them know when I'm getting a KMC link in exchange for the recalled PowerLock link.

Knew I should have just stuck with KMC in the first place :roll:
  • Ruari
    Got a replacement link today - KMC. Guys at the LBS hadn't been informed by SRAM, but when they phoned the supplier, they were told that the recall is indeed going forward.

Apologies to dodgy, the LBS guys used the exact tool he recommended to remove the Powerlock link!
    FCN 1
  • dodgy
    No need for apologies fella! Glad it worked out for you, but just to be clear, there is a recall now of all SRAM power links?
  • dodgy
    Lazy me, could have just googled it :wink:

http://cxmagazine.com/sram-issues-10-sp ... #more-4039