Is this a record?

Dudu
Dudu Posts: 4,637
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
SW London. Last night, at the junction of the Clapham Common cycle lane/Cedars Rd/CC North Side.

I wait at the cycle lights going north from the common, to turn right into North Side. My light turns green, so all the others are red. I am the only one out of about 10 cyclists coming from all four directions who is riding legally. It's me who has to brake and swerve.

RLJers are tossers.

I swear I'm going to ram one one day.

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    A record is a (usually) black round piece of vinyl with a hole in the middle and was commonly used to play popular music
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Dudu
    spen666 wrote:
    A record is a (usually) black round piece of vinyl with a hole in the middle and was commonly used to play popular music

No, no, it's one item of data in a set.
    I would be inclined to purchase a 120 decibel Airzound, and clear them out of the way :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Dudu
    Daniel B wrote:
    I would be inclined to purchase a 120 decibel Airzound, and clear them out of the way :D

My stentorian vocal efforts are regularly employed, but to no avail. It's quite difficult to shout "red means stop, pr@t" in three directions at once. I might try making an emergency stop in front of one of them to test their reactions.
    Dudu wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

My stentorian vocal efforts are regularly employed, but to no avail. It's quite difficult to shout "red means stop, pr@t" in three directions at once. I might try making an emergency stop in front of one of them to test their reactions.

...and then say "I'm sorry mate I didn't see you" :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Dudu
    Dudu wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

...and then say "I'm sorry mate I didn't see you" :D

Sadly, no. They don't even acknowledge they've got it wrong.
    And I also agree, it can seem dangerous if a cyclist is hurtling if they pass through a red light and it is therefore very difficult for any amendment in the law pertinent to cyclists.
    I would however suggest that on some occasions if it were possible, that it should be left to the judgement of the cyclist. I realise this would have no standing legally, so is unlikely to ever become fact, but for example, a pedestrian crossing where there is clearly nobody using it (cos the person already crossed) and assuming the cyclist can fully see the junction should be allowed to cross.
    The difference with cyclists is legally they could stop, get off, walk across the red light, get back on. If it could be like race tracks, where we are all speed restricted as when passing through the pit lane, then the cyclists whom have put in the effort to get up to speed (limited to 5mph for red lights) could maintain it and the car drivers/pedstrians/disgruntled law-abiding fellow cyclists wouldnt stereotype every cyclist in London as being bad riders.
    I am sure you all know all of these points, but I do think you've raised an issue that really divides alot of opinion in the capital, mainly between those that think it's acceptable (providing its safe) and the majority i expect that dont.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Is this a record - four RLJ threads all running at once?

C'mon - let's give it a rest, eh?
  • hey porgy!! apols big guy/girl. As I said, I only signed up to this forum this am off the back of your ldn bridge accident post, so apols if I'm duplicating.....i realise this is frustrating. :oops:
    Maybe chop dudu's link on your thread or it could get worse!!
    I am actually surprised there are only 4 on the go....... bet the others are alot longer.....it must bore the p@nts off forum vets....
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Dudu, I see this every sodding day, but there's little point in drawing attention to it as:
    1: we've done it to death
    2: Those who RLJ don't give anyway.

I cycled over to Brixton last night via from London Bridge via Oval and Stockwell and was amazed at the number of numpties RLJ'ng all over the place, far more than I ever see on Embankment. It's actually quite something to watch a herd of the morons pootle through successive reds. Mind you, I can almost see their point, some are so slow that if they didn't RLJ then they'd be quicker using the tube/bus.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    hey porgy!! apols big guy/girl. As I said, I only signed up to this forum this am off the back of your ldn bridge accident post, so apols if I'm duplicating.....i realise this is frustrating. :oops:
    Maybe chop dudu's link on your thread or it could get worse!!
    I am actually surprised there are only 4 on the go....... bet the others are alot longer.....it must bore the p@nts off forum vets....

nothing personal dude - you weren;t to know.

May I wish you a big hearty welcome to the forum. Be careful about mentioning the following though :D 8)

1. helmets
    2. RLJing
    3. tube strikes

btw - I'm a guy - can't you see my beard and manly chest? 8)
  • :lol:
    thanks for the welcome, and must say have been impressed with the debate created by your original posting (editing as just seen you were actually second to post, hence your work/post balance remark!!) :) .

As for your other topics for avoidance I am all for helmets, having had 5 collisions in 3 years of riding (the one where a pedestrian stepped out without looking was the only one the helmet was needed and it stopped me going over the handlebars and both of us from probably cracking our heads open). Although I confess in warmer weather to occasionally leaving it behind and taking it a little more gently.

Tube strikes - always happen when you leave your bike at home. End of.

Ultimately I think we're all united in the probable fact that no-one was fatally hurt today.
    Right, time to go jump on me bike.... do i wear me helmet.....
  • Dudu
    Having just registered with the forum today as a result of passing the ldn bridge accident this am, i have been re-directed here courtesy of you dudu.
    Now firstly I would agree that factually, it is illegal for vehicles to jump ride lights. And in a binary view, that should be the end of it.
    And I also agree, it can seem dangerous if a cyclist is hurtling if they pass through a red light and it is therefore very difficult for any amendment in the law pertinent to cyclists.
    I would however suggest that on some occasions if it were possible, that it should be left to the judgement of the cyclist. I realise this would have no standing legally, so is unlikely to ever become fact, but for example, a pedestrian crossing where there is clearly nobody using it (cos the person already crossed) and assuming the cyclist can fully see the junction should be allowed to cross.
    The difference with cyclists is legally they could stop, get off, walk across the red light, get back on. If it could be like race tracks, where we are all speed restricted as when passing through the pit lane, then the cyclists whom have put in the effort to get up to speed (limited to 5mph for red lights) could maintain it and the car drivers/pedstrians/disgruntled law-abiding fellow cyclists wouldnt stereotype every cyclist in London as being bad riders.
    I am sure you all know all of these points, but I do think you've raised an issue that really divides alot of opinion in the capital, mainly between those that think it's acceptable (providing its safe) and the majority i expect that dont.

Oh dear. This could start another war. Someone justifying RLJing. It's stupid, illegal and bad PR for the rest of us.

I'm talking about people who can see each entry to the junction, see me about to launch into my exit from the stop line to turn right, and are in danger of being slpatted (and splatting me in the process) as I make my Cavendish-like sprint away from the lights when they change to green.

At this junction, when the lights at the cycle lane are green, all the rets are red, so that cyclists can exit the cycle lane safely. Other cyclists ought to bloody well know this and not endanger me.
    Dudu, I see this every sodding day, but there's little point in drawing attention to it as:

I cycled over to Brixton last night via from London Bridge via Oval and Stockwell and was amazed at the number of numpties RLJ'ng all over the place, far more than I ever see on Embankment. It's actually quite something to watch a herd of the morons pootle through successive reds. Mind you, I can almost see their point, some are so slow that if they didn't RLJ then they'd be quicker using the tube/bus.

i'd just like to do the last bit of my commute in one piece, thanks.

Or walking.
    :lol:
    thanks for the welcome, and must say have been impressed with the debate created by your original posting (editing as just seen you were actually second to post, hence your work/post balance remark!!) :) .

As for your other topics for avoidance I am all for helmets, having had 5 collisions in 3 years of riding (the one where a pedestrian stepped out without looking was the only one the helmet was needed and it stopped me going over the handlebars and both of us from probably cracking our heads open). Although I confess in warmer weather to occasionally leaving it behind and taking it a little more gently.

Tube strikes - always happen when you leave your bike at home. End of.

Ultimately I think we're all united in the probable fact that no-one was fatally hurt today.
    Right, time to go jump on me bike.... do i wear me helmet.....

Oh dear. Again.

A h•lm•t once saved my life. It was worn by the police sergeant who fixed the tailgating driver with a hard stare.
    Now firstly I would agree that factually, it is illegal for vehicles to jump ride lights. And in a binary view, that should be the end of it.

Oh dear. This could start another war. Someone justifying RLJing. It's stupid, illegal and bad PR for the rest of us.

I'm talking about people who can see each entry to the junction, see me about to launch into my exit from the stop line to turn right, and are in danger of being slpatted (and splatting me in the process) as I make my Cavendish-like sprint away from the lights when they change to green.

At this junction, when the lights at the cycle lane are green, all the rets are red, so that cyclists can exit the cycle lane safely. Other cyclists ought to bloody well know this and not endanger me.

I would always check over my shoulder before turning right. :wink: I'm sure you do, dont get angry.
    But as I mentioned originally, i do accept it is contrary to the law and would also agree it is bad pr for the rest of the cycling community.
    An will be wearing helmet. Decided it wasnt worth it a few weeks back when a van pulled out without seeing me in the wet and had i not shouted i would have been rolling over his bonnet.... reckon that accident today on the bridge tells all of us how you never know what can happen.
  • Dudu
    Dudu wrote:
    I would always check over my shoulder before turning right..

Errr... It's not people coming from behind that are the RLJers, otherwise I'd be doing it, too. And I'm talking about the light-controlled exit from a 3m-wide cycle lane, with me on the RHS here: http://tinyurl.com/n9sc7k

It's the ones coming from left, right and straight ahead that risk getting 95kg and me and my bike hitting them amidships..
    Porgy wrote:
    Is this a record - four RLJ threads all running at once?

C'mon - let's give it a rest, eh?

Shakes head in despair and wonders when they'll listen
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!