A548 - N Wales - Safe to ride?

alex16zx
alex16zx Posts: 153
Might seem like a silly question if you ride it regularly, but I went on the first section on the A548 yesterday, through Deeside industrial estate and over the bridge and then back up to Connah's Quay (which was obviously fine). Next week I want to go down from Deeside to Prestatyn along it, and I just wanted to check it's not too dangerous for cycling?

Comments

• Not ridden along the section by Deeside Ind est but have ridden along the coast road many times from Flint to Rhyl. Never had any problems.
  • alex16zx
    Cheers, well I've covered the deeside-flint section and i know that's safe. That's my ride for next sunday planned then :)
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    It might be a safe road (arguably), but that a548 is one of the most depressing roads you could ever ride. From my side of the Dee, the North Wales coast looks just beautiful, what a disappointment when you get there, though :( There are lot of lorries on the A548 aswell.

I would always go inland a few miles and pick up the more picturesque lanes and head out to Prestatyn that way.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I rode to Prestatyn from the Chester area on Sunday, loads of lanes* out there so you can avoid the main roads.

*most seemed to be quite littered with gravel/mud/stones and were quite steep.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • alex16zx
    dodgy wrote:
    It might be a safe road (arguably), but that a548 is one of the most depressing roads you could ever ride. From my side of the Dee, the North Wales coast looks just beautiful, what a disappointment when you get there, though :( There are lot of lorries on the A548 aswell.

I would always go inland a few miles and pick up the more picturesque lanes and head out to Prestatyn that way.

I live over there as well, and it does look nice from Parkgate, doesn't it? :P

I know it's not the nicest road but I think it's just for ease of planning my route I was looking at that. I have looked into coming inland a bit but I don't like taking maps out with me (not that i even have a map!) so I want a route that's nice and easy to remember.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    That's where a Garmin Edge 705 comes in, I load the route into it in advance and it doesn't matter how complicated the route is or how many turns there are. Before I got the Edge I used to navigate by main roads, too. I now enjoy my cycling far more!

Good luck on the route, I have fairly good local knowledge so if you need any more help let me know!