Are you allowed to cycle down Piccadilly (westwards bus lane

hipshaker
hipshaker Posts: 21
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi
Just taken up commuting and am new to the forum :)

I work in London's Soho and live in Fulham. So I tend to cycle down Piccadilly westwards (from Piccadilly circus down towards Hyde park corner) in the bus lane. On two occassions has the very same irate bus driver shouted at me that cyclists aren't allowed in that bus lane.

As far as I knew, cyclists are allowed in all bus lanes but I could of course be wrong - does anyone know what applies to Piccadilly?

Hoping someone might have an answer... scary being mobbed by a big fat PMS'ing bus woman driving really close to my bike...
Kona Africabike 3 - 20kgs of love and steel

Comments

• I would guess not, looking at one of the signs on the route: clickable

It seems to be a local bus route, and these can be very restrictive (such as not allowing taxis, coaches, minibuses or cycles). The road paint should, IIRC, say "Bus Only" however, not just "Bus Lane".

That said, dangerous or intimidatory driving is surely not acceptable even if you were (unwittingly) in the wrong.
  • Of course, it doesn't help that TfL's website is, to the casual reader, misleading

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/finesandregulations/963.aspx
    Cyclists are also allowed to use bus lanes, and their usage has increased greatly.

I suppose the get out is that it doesn't say cyclists are allowed to use all bus lanes. :roll:
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Cyclists not permitted in the Piccadilly lane, so the bus drivers are entitled to shout at you if you are holding them up. There are a few bus-only lanes in London - they are always signed, as this one is. I occasionally use them at quiet times.

a serious case of small cogs
  • I suppose the alternative is Haymarket -> Jermyn St -> St James's Street back on to Piccadilly by the Patisserie Valerie?
  • Thanks all for your quick responses, what an active forum! Really helpful.

Ah I see, well sounds like I need to look for an alternative route!

What a shame as this is such a fast way westwards - would be great if they opened it up to cyclists.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Yep, you're definitely not allowed in it. You don't have to go far out of your way to get round it, though. I go to the north.
  • Thanks DunceDunce, just checked Google maps yeah that'll be a great alternative route :)
  • biondino
    St James Street is a 400 yard hill and it's great for interval training!
  • biondino wrote:
    St James Street is a 400 yard hill and it's great for interval training!
    And Pall Mall is much nicer at most times of day than Jermyn Street - wider and less traffic pulling in and out. As Mr White says, the slope back up to Piccadilly could up the pulse for a moment or two.

Alternatively, you could cut past St James's Palace down to the Mall and then up Constitution Hill or round Buckingham Palace the other way to Victoria, and down to the Kings Road that way. A bit busy at normal commute times, though, I think.
  • biondino
    duncedunce wrote:
    Alternatively, you could cut past St James's Palace down to the Mall and then up Constitution Hill or round Buckingham Palace the other way to Victoria, and down to the Kings Road that way. A bit busy at normal commute times, though, I think.

That's what I do. It's fine really.