Your local haunts?

cgarossi
cgarossi Posts: 729
edited August 2009 in Routes
Looked around these boards and couldnt find a thread where everyone said where they ride most regularly. It would be cool to see where people frequent the trails.

For me, I live in Herefordshire so im quite lucky in the fact that I have The Malverns on my doorstep for short outings and south Wales and Brecon a mere hour or so away.

Mostly you can find me and a couple of mates taking in the beacons over looking worcestershire.

I've started putting together a website for local riders too.

So where do you ride most often?

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I live in newport so..

Afan pretty much most weeknds
    Cwm Carn in the week nights when i get to go

normaly about 2-3 rides a week.
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Just moved to Manchester so I'm making Edale & Hope valleys my home, Mam Tor, Chapel Gate, Rushup Edge, Cave Dale, Cut Gate so far...

Lakes are an easy two hour drive away (well worth it for a good ride, eh WayLander :wink:).

Not explored the Dales yet, but it's coming soon...
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • Thewaylander
    Meh, i will drive where ever if its gives me a good trail 2 hours is spot on :p not sure if i'd bother with 3 though ;p
  • south downs

but then i'm new, and it's all i know

bloody love it though :D
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • elPedro666
    We might've hit on a new grading system here - I'd give Cwm Carn an easy two hour drive rating, Afan 2 1/2 or maybe even three on a long Summer's day. Hour & a half for Llandegla. Twenty minutes for Cannock... :lol:

Sorry, I'll stop now :oops:

Three and a half hours drive for a big day in the Lakes would be worth it, I reckon...
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • Thewaylander
    Have to plan that properly though as i don't think there are many marked routes are there?
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Can't get much more local than the Chase. Turn right out of my front door, down the road for a mile or so, right again and I'm there.

But I like to get over to Mid Wales when I can. I remember when Coed-y-Brenin was all just trees and we only had 18 gears if we were lucky. In fact yawn...zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • elPedro666
    Have to plan that properly though as i don't think there are many marked routes are there?

Only Grizedale that I know to, which is maybe an hour and a quarter rating...

A lot of good natural riding though, of all sizes - girlfriend-friendly to utter terror. There are a few well known 'classics' and plenty of routes if you have a search around:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/routes/?bpath= ... 392/page/2

This is a beaut, over Garburn pass:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/routes/?bpath= ... Black-ride
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • g3n1u5
    g3n1u5 Posts: 21
    im in northumberland so i tend to ride copwell and thrunton during the week and then a mix of hamsterly. keilder, glentress, newcastleton (really good for improving skill and sessioning bits) and occationally winlatter and grizdale
  • andy3372
    andy3372 Posts: 1
    looking for good trials around the rochester area in kent, relatively new to this so want some challenging treks to test my performance
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    Southern Peak District mainly. Get up to the Dales quite often as I have friends who live there and who are willing to put up with me for the odd weekend.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    elPedro666 wrote:
    Three and a half hours drive for a big day in the Lakes would be worth it, I reckon...

If you're in Manc you're no more than 2 hours away from the Lakes (1.5 if you stick to the Southern Fells - M60/M61/M6 or A57/M6 depending on where you are). Best riding in the world, you'll never run out of options.

Or get on the M66 and head to Rawtenstall. Up the valley to Bacup (call in at Lee Quarry on your way past if you want) then carry on over the top into Calderdale for another natural trail-fest.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • deadsetgav
    deadsetgav Posts: 39
    South East corner of the Mary Townley loop.

I just ride backwards and forwards on it because I'm too lazy / short of time to drive anywhere else to ride.

Besides its on my doorstep...
  • GTi-R23
    GTi-R23 Posts: 175
    I live 10mins from Llandegla, so literally ALWAYS up there at the weekends and sometimes mid week.
    Good riding at the moment, and they're opening up a few new sections on the Red, so it's all good, want to broaden my horizons a little bit soon though.
  • elPedro666
    dave_hill

Dave, an hour & a half to hit the good stuff from here - I was just saying it would still be well worth it if it were more than double that! 8)

Calderdale's on the to-do list...

M606, M60, M61, M6, A590 if I remember right, you geek! Best not start this game though - I'm on eighteen wheels if I'm not on two and we'll be banned for extreme tedium...

And you're right - it's bloody brilliant riding! :twisted:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • elchenuk
    elchenuk Posts: 24
    dave_hill wrote:
    elPedro666 wrote:

Or get on the M66 and head to Rawtenstall. Up the valley to Bacup (call in at Lee Quarry on your way past if you want) then carry on over the top into Calderdale for another natural trail-fest.

I'm moving to the Calderdale area next week so will have all those lovely trails to explore, I cant wait, I don't think my wife and kids will see me again!
  • elPedro666
    elchenuk wrote:
    dave_hill wrote:
    elPedro666 wrote:

I'm moving to the Calderdale area next week so will have all those lovely trails to explore, I cant wait, I don't think my wife and kids will see me again!

Lovely - I'll see you there!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • podgeorge
    podgeorge Posts: 188
    Malvern Hills......i only live 10 mins away from them :twisted: Although from time to time i go down to the Forest of Dean, although must do that more often :idea:
  • keeko
    keeko Posts: 129
    I live on the seven stanes doorstep and as bad as it sounds, you get used to the manmade trails, so I`m back onto the surrounding area for the hills , natural trails, wildnerness and freedom of being totally isolated.

A change is as good a rest.

I can`t imagine what its like for someone in the middle of Birmingham with a long travel all mountain bike.
    ...the system......you can`t beat it.
  • angrymeerkat
    angrymeerkat Posts: 134
    Hmm... local is, unfortunately, limited to canals, country roads and stuff I can find a few miles out; Kegworth, Gotham sort of way. I live and work slap in the middle of Nottingham city centre so don't have anything green within a fair radius.

I try and get to Sherwood at least once a month, not got around to Cannock yet (it's about 1.5 hours drive I'd guess). I could possibly get to Bestwood Country Park, I've heard that's slightly more interesting than my usual. Anyone rode it? Made it out without being stabbed in the face?
  • emzz
    emzz Posts: 3
    I live in Mid Wales, on the border of Herefordshire and Shropshire.
    I've got Hopton, Bringewood, Radnor......all on my doorstep, I can ride straight out of my front door and be on the Mid-Wales hills in minutes! Bliss.
  • I could possibly get to Bestwood Country Park, I've heard that's slightly more interesting than my usual. Anyone rode it? Made it out without being stabbed in the face?

Angry Meerkat, sorry for the late reply but I've only just read this thread.

I ride in Bestwood Country Park 2-3 times a week because I live so close to it I can see it from my bedroom window.

There's plently of short climbs and short fast downhills. There's also small sections of singletrack and a dirt jump area. None of these are in any way signposted so you've got to find your own way round.

I can easily go out for a quick 20 minute blast for a bit of an adrenaline rush (regularly do) or an hour or so of circular routes taking in the whole park.

I'd offer to show you around but being a local I might just stab you in the face! :wink:
  • Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    Living just outside Oldham theres a few cheeky routes local, nothing to extreme for us mere n00bs but got a 10 mile or so loop that includes tackling the naughtiness of Tandle Hill's.
  • elchenuk
    elchenuk Posts: 24
    Graham, you could jump on a train and head over to west yorkshire only a short ride from where you are.
  • alisdairh wrote:
    I'd offer to show you around but being a local I might just stab you in the face! :wink:
    Haha, nothing personal, I grew up around there, and have heard many stories of friends who stayed put getting mugged and so on lately. Just so long as it's worth the risk!!
  • I've never had a problem in the park. But I'm always wary of the fact that I'm on an expensive bike because you're never to old to be mugged!
  • Live just outside Dumfries so can ride to Mabie & Ae in 45mins.
    Dalbeattie is 1/2hr by car
    Kirroughtree is 1hr.
    GT/Inners is 1.5hrs

I am off down to Ambleside on Wed which is 2hrs.

Keswick/Whinlatter=1.5hrs

Howgills=2hrs

Keilder/Newcastleton =2hrs

Manchester/Buxton/Hope etc 3-4hrs in October

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • ACDCwmb
    ACDCwmb Posts: 225
    Long rides around the Lincolnshire Wolds.
    [url]uttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2453/3644058624_66a72402ee.jpg/]Hardtail[/url]
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    i'm very lucky, Live in the Kentmere valley so Garburn pass is out the front door and turn left or if I want turn right I have the rest of the lake district which is quite good! And my daily cycle to work is pretty fantastic too. Quite an improvement over Staines where I lived this time last year.
  • I live at J40 On the M4, Port Talbot, some will know if used for Afan.
    Roughly 8 miles from the Afan Centre, and just a few more from glyncorrwg.