Ultimate FCN modifier...

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Now then...

Linsen and I were out a-bicycling today, heading from Mersea island back to the mainland, when we spied a roadie off in the distance, and noted we were reeling him in...

We got within a hundred yards of him when we noticed something...

He only had one leg.

Scalp denied. Also, much respect to that guy! :shock: :D

He also saw us catching him and put the hammer down, then turned off. Damn it.

Comments

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,277
    I'm so confused. Is his FCN now really high or really low!?

Wow.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Now then...

Linsen and I were out a-bicycling today, heading from Mersea island back to the mainland, when we spied a roadie off in the distance, and noted we were reeling him in...

He only had one leg.

I've done that, there's mention in pages something of the fcn thread... Very impressed, thats a tough dude
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Seen a couple of SL guys when out on the bike, never feel I can claim a scalp in that case but have much respect for them!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Now then...

He only had one leg.

So... he saw you catching up and decided to leg it?

I'M SORRY! I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF! :oops: :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Seen a couple of SL guys when out on the bike, never feel I can claim a scalp in that case but have much respect for them!

there is big bloke i see time from time around RP and around Kingston, not slow on the bike, there is also a man mountain who uses one of the fast wheelchairs, around RP who certinly shifts along.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Your left leg, I like. I have nothing against your left leg. The trouble is, neither do you.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    There is a chap I've seen in Manchester on a hybrid, missing both lower limbs - he is seriously quick though.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    fossyant wrote:
    There is a chap I've seen in Manchester on a hybrid, missing both lower limbs - he is seriously quick though.

Ah, and don't annoy him, I imagine he could get your jaw bone round the back of your head in one go if he took a swipe.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Your left leg, I like. I have nothing against your left leg. The trouble is, neither do you.
    :lol:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I read about a one legged chap in europe that used to tag onto the back of the pro races in the early season and keep up with them, apparently he dropped Max Sciandri in flanders or roubaix one year when Max was having a bad day.

Watch the one leggers, they're like bromptonites - just waiting to pounce :shock:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    I see lower limb amputees regularly, none are very quick though.
    I work in a hospital.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • d.n.f
    d.n.f Posts: 61
    A mate of mine was driving through Richmond Park and got overtaken by a one legged cyclist.

Fair play.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    d.n.f wrote:
    A mate of mine was driving through Richmond Park and got overtaken by a one legged cyclist.

Fair play.

If it's the same chap I see, he's a regular. He seems to keep his upper body still going up the hills to save energy. Much better technique than those bobbing up and down.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Not been scalped by one, but would someone on a tricycle with a handcrank top that?

Seen a guy around the Surrey Hills riding one...
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Whilst I was commuting on my MTB, pre bianchi days, I once got annihilated by a dude with one leg.
    He was a black dude in all team kit on a yellow full carbon roadie (v nice bike), and he was absolutely spanking it up the A3, I gave chase caught him but couldn't hold it and he pulled away then turned off.
    His one remaining leg was fricken hyooge. V V fast. Not sure how he coped with the lights at rush hour, wish I'd been going the same route to find out.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I've seen the same bloke as Stuey01. My only defence (in later telling) after he sailed past with ease was that he was carrying less weight.

(Slightly poor taste when written in dry type, than the admiration I implied at the time)
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    I've also seen a guy. Around Wandsworth with one leg (lost the other about half way down the thigh). He was v nippy. I reckon my scalp would be his. Is this the same chap CJCP & others have seen ?(black, early thirties, lycra, roadie - he was a bit of a blur as he moved through the lights I was waiting at)
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The chap I see is white. I'd say in his forties, with a shaved head.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    cjcp wrote:
    The chap I see is white. I'd say in his forties, with a shaved head.

Must be a different bloke, wasn't that much of a blur - couldn't tell the hair - helmet covered it.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646

much respect to that guy! :.

too right - you saw him near Mersea, its very likely he's with 16 Air Assault Brigade