I've only gone and done it.

BoboGib
BoboGib Posts: 73
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Well, bought my first road bike yesterday. Got an old Claud Butler Criterium (think its a 2007) Got it from ebay for under 200 quid.

Just been out for the first ride which was enjoyable. Only 9 miles as the rear hub is making a bit of noise and a few of the spokes are loose. (my own fault for buying on ebay i guess)

did it in 40 mins which I don't think is too bad. I know I shouldn't be timing myself just yet but I can't help it.

EDIT: this is the route that I rode

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-kingdom/lyneham/543124999193949416
exercise.png

Comments

• AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    A big welcome to you and your Claud Butler - I'm sure it's gone to a good home where it will be appreciated :D .

With regards to your hub and spokes you'll find helpful advice on the 'workshop' forum if you need it :lol: .
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    what kind of noise is the hub making? some road hubs are very noisy - notably Campagnolo (they also make fulcrum wheels)
  • BoboGib
    @AMcD

Thanks for the welcome. Hoping its found a good home. The aim is to get ft enought to do the London to Brighton next year so hopefully be using it almost everyday.

@Deal

Its making a horrible grate/crunch type rubbing sound. Its not constant which is why I think it may be the bearing on the way out. I hate trying to describe sounds, always come out wrong.

I've got a good LBS in Swindon so will take the bike in there to get them to look at it.
    exercise.png
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    Bought my first road bike on eBay too - a Claud Butler San Remo. The start of great things and having upgraded since, I still ride the CB now and again
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    BoboGib wrote:
    @AMcD

Thanks for the welcome. Hoping its found a good home. The aim is to get ft enought to do the London to Brighton next year so hopefully be using it almost everyday.

You're welcome. I was in the same position as you back in April. Decided to get back on the bike and do the Edin to St Andrew's in July and did too. It's amazing how quickly a 9 miler turns into 4hr runs on your own (or with a friend if you're luckier than me :wink: ). This time next year London to Brighton will be a doddle.
  • Hi fellow Claud Butler rider. I thought nobody else had one... not the most popular compared to other mass produced bikes :)

I've bought the Milano 09 and like you am very pleased with it.
    Account requested to be deleted
  • desperate73
    desperate73 Posts: 135
    edited August 2009
    repeat post.. don't press back button then f5 :P
    Account requested to be deleted
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Echo? :o
  • BoboGib
    Well went out again today as the LBS fixed my bike. Another 13 miles under the belt. Felt a little bit more comfortable this time. did it in 51:30 with an average of 15.1mph. Not bad.
    exercise.png
  • 211dave112
    211dave112 Posts: 125
    so do you live in lyneham then? I'm from Swindon but usually cycle out towards Hungerford/Wantage and generally out going east. What are the roads like out your way? Much in the way of good hills?
  • BoboGib
    Yeah, live in Lyneham. There are a few good hills, most of them are short steep ones although I find spirthill a bit hard going.
    exercise.png
  • 211dave112
    may have to venture out that way sometime this week.
  • BoboGib
    if you do, give me a shout and iff i'm not working then i'll join you for a few miles. If you don't mind someone who's a little unfit joining you.
    exercise.png
  • 211dave112
    nah, a bit of company is always good on a ride. will let you know mate.