New Turbo - Wheel appears to Be Slipping Advice Please

rockhopper353
rockhopper353 Posts: 64
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Just purchased a Tacx Sirius, never used a turbo before so not totally sure about the adjustments, when im pedalling the rear wheel seems to be slipping/skidding on the turbo roller and not running smoothly.

I have set it up so that the the bike tyre when pressing against the roller is being pressed in slightly, would tightening the roller further against the tyre or easing it off normally solve this or is the slipping normal, then again perhaps the sirius is not very good ?

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    Tighten the resistance a bit and see if that works, usually solves it for me.
  • Are you using a normal road tyre? I used to suffer the same issue until I bought a proper Turbo tyre.
  • Are you using a normal road tyre? I used to suffer the same issue until I bought a proper Turbo tyre.

I am using a normal road tyre, its a vittoria diamante pro, so the dedicated tyres make a big difference then, that being the case what's the cheapest option for a spare wheel as obviously I'm not going to be changing tyres all the time.
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    I keep a turbo rear wheel.
  • I have a spare wheel from when I upgraded, but i appreciate not everyone has. Maybe have a look at Ebay for something cheap? It doesnt have to be a good wheel. I've got one of the Continental tubo tyres that cost me approx £20
  • Thanks for the replys, looks like some ebay shopping for a spare wheel, might try my lbs as well, see if they have any second hand ones knocking about.
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    I have found that the dedicated turbo tyres give the least slippage on the roller, but I've also had some very odd puncture problems with them. I've gone back to using worn-out road tyres on the turbo (Michelin pro-races and Krylions) and they are working better for me.

I'd definately recommend the 2nd wheel set up for turbo use though.

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."