The cute girl I keep passing in the corridor

sylvestermorgan
sylvestermorgan Posts: 35
edited August 2009 in The bottom bracket
Slightly off bike topics (I normally do talk about bikes), but today I need wise words from the forum on what to do. I'm a PhD student and I keep passing a pretty cute Masters student in the corridor we. We frequently lock eyes and smile at each other in passing. I don't know she is, her name, or anything. Any bright ideas how I strike up a conversation with her?

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Grab your crotch, start gyrating your hips and making deep grunting noises. If she's up for it you're in, if she looks horrified, well it saved you wasting your time.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you are a Phd student you should be clever enough to figure out something to say. :wink:

Or, just start stalking her, thats what I tended to do.
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    rohypnol.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    These problems will become easier when you get into your teens. :roll:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Try "Hi, I'm [insert name here]" and go to shake her hand. She'll respond with her name. Then say "So, you're doing a Masters here, is that right?" and the conversation goes from there. Hopefully you'll find things in common. Simple, really. Don't over think things, or feel you have to come up with something really witty. Be yourself and if that doesn't work it was never gonna happen anyway.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Anonymous
    Or just say, I like your lumpy jumper.

Alternatively, offer her some gummi bears.
  • Anonymous
    Make her a mix tape.
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    AidanR wrote:
    Try "Hi, I'm [insert name here]" and go to shake her hand. She'll respond with her name. Then say "So, you're doing a Masters here, is that right?" and the conversation goes from there. Hopefully you'll find things in common. Simple, really. Don't over think things, or feel you have to come up with something really witty. Be yourself and if that doesn't work it was never gonna happen anyway.

Then ask her what she's studying blah blah blah... next thing you know, you're having lunch together. Good Luck.

Appropriate phrase: "never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams".

Now man up and initiate a conversation. :twisted:
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    Or you could try the classic northern chat up line: -

"Eh up love, doest shag?"

Possibly won't work, and this could be bad advice, actually it probably is bad advice, how about hello....
  • Cheers guys, esp AidanR and Synchronicity, especially the appropriate phase. After so many years with the ex I'm totally out of practice on this sort of thing so, as you, I'll just go talk to her and see where the conversation goes...

Much appreciated!
  • Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Cheers guys, esp AidanR and Synchronicity, especially the appropriate phase. After so many years with the ex I'm totally out of practice on this sort of thing so, as you, I'll just go talk to her and see where the conversation goes...

Much appreciated!
    Ah, now you see if you haven't been in the dating game for some years you will not be aware of how the rules have changed. Long term wooing is just so old hat now, if you don't suggest a shag after exchanging names she will assume you're gay and lose interest.
  • drewfromrisca
    drewfromrisca Posts: 1,165
    Ask her if she's in the Britney Spears fan club. It worked for me with a student...once :twisted:
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!
  • Corporate Camper
    Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?

I just laughed so much I woke the children up.
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Man, I'm so hungry. Fancy coming to lunch with me? 8)
  • dbmnk
    dbmnk Posts: 217
    Does this rag smell of chloroform to you?
    Funny!
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Don't be obvious. Cheesy "lines" don't work and women get them all the time. Use one and she'll immediately think you're boring.

Say something she wont expect like "You're always following me, you're not another stalker, are you?", or "I noticed that you keep walking down this corridoor when i'm around - there are easier ways to pick up guys you know... :roll:" but make it sound funny, or she'll think you're weird. Stuff like that implies that you think she's actually hitting on you, and puts her under pressure. For some reason, women love it when you take the pi55 out of them (if you're funny).

Get her laughing, that's the key.
  • I'm sure there's scope there on the PhD = Pretty huge dick genre.
  • Avoid naff chat up lines like the plague, especially with these brainy types. A simple "Good morning" can be far more effectve at prompting a conversation.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Meh, don't cholorform her, i chloroformed myself once, really unpleasant to wake up after...

Anyway women are far too much bother.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    Bhima wrote:
    Don't be obvious. Cheesy "lines" don't work and women get them all the time. Use one and she'll immediately think you're boring.

Say something she wont expect like "You're always following me, you're not another stalker, are you?", or "I noticed that you keep walking down this corridoor when i'm around - there are easier ways to pick up guys you know... :roll:" but make it sound funny, or she'll think you're weird. Stuff like that implies that you think she's actually hitting on you, and puts her under pressure. For some reason, women love it when you take the pi55 out of them (if you're funny).

Get her laughing, that's the key.

Those lines are terribly cheesy too and I can't think of a way in which they'd be said that would make them funny. I guess at least she'd not think you're boring, she'll just think you're a creep. Alluding to her being a tart that's trying to pick you up, or bringing up the subject of stalkers is a very good way of NOT getting a date.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Try:

"Drop your drawers, my knob is yours"

"I think you must be wearing mirrored panties, cos I can see myself in them"

"You must be Jamaican, because Jamaican me crazy."

""Do you know a good neurosurgeon? Because I want to fuck your brains out."
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Sir, I'm afraid we're going to need you to relinquish your testicles. It seems that you're a little girl after all.
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    Ask her for help with your homework
    Justice for the 96
  • You, PhD
    Her, Masters

You actually think that's ever going to work? Find yourself a nice PhDer who's aim in life is only to excel in her chosen field of interest, so you can both discover poverty at broadly the same stage in your lives. Otherwise, the Masters girl will have at least two years' head-start on you in the jobmarket, and you'll have to deal with the fact that she's the breadwinner while you're still writing up. And she'll resent that, even if you don't.

My goodness, will she resent that.

Why not just continue stalking her? The fantasy will almost certainly be better than the reality.
    Making a cup of coffee is like making love to a beautiful woman. It's got to be hot. You've got to take your time. You've got to stir... gently and firmly. You've got to grind your beans until they squeak.
    And then you put in the milk.
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    'kin 'ell

this confirms my long held suspicion that men don't ever really grow up
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Are there any doors along this corridor you and the girl share? Grab her and pull her into said door. The rest is upto you.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mrforgetful
    mrforgetful Posts: 24
    edited August 2009
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Ask her if she's got a bike. If not walk away.
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Just talk to her. All I ever think is needed is to remember the quote below (it came to me after two crashes in so many weeks).

"Bone heals, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever"

Yeah, more suitable for cycling then talking to a lady, but the general gist is the worst that can happen is only a temporary thing, best could last a lifetime.
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)