Silly Weight Loss Thread - The 10 week challenge.

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
edited December 2009 in Commuting chat
Since starting cycling in Sept 08 and with very limited mileage due to family commitments etc I have gone from 13stone8 to 12stone9. I notice several changes and I have stepped back from the brink of 36" waist trousers and the 34"s are now loose.

However I still wobble somewhat when brushing my teeth. (sorry if you were at your lunch)

So this is the challenge

Its now 10 week until the clocks go back (25th October). I'm giving my self 10 weeks to lose 10 lbs and get back under the 12 stone mark.

Fancy a challenge
START              TARGET               TARGET LOSS          

WheezyMcChubby          12st9lb            11st13lb                 10lb
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348

Rich158                 11st                 10st 5lb                  9lb

Oooohhh a challenge, how can I resist :roll: :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Sorry mate I'm out, I've gone from 15 stone to 13.5 since November and I've reached my natural weight - still overweight, but sod it. I have got up to 15.5 stone at my peak :oops:

I probably could lose a bit more (getting to 13 stone would be great), the problem is I'd have to go on a diet and stop the "occasional" drink.

How tall are you WheezyMcChubby? 12.9st sounds like a good weight to me - unless you're 3ft 2 :)

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Rich158 wrote:

Fight it rich fight it, this is one you can't win they'll be nothing left of you :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I was eating a double chocolate temptation Magnum as I read this thread.

What is it they say - never start a war you can't win??? :wink:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    You may lose the weight but not the wobbly belly. Losing weight does not mean you'll lose it in specific target areas unless you work on these areas very hard. I've tried for about 3 years and I still have wobbly bit there. Unfortunately for me that's my body shape.

Belly fat is very hard to shift once you have it and are over a certain age (30+). A non carb high protein diet may yield results but will do nothing for your bike riding.

But hey good luck I'm sure you'll easily lose the weight just maybe not the belly.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    itboffin wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

Fight it rich fight it, this is one you can't win they'll be nothing left of you :lol:

I've been trying to get down to the mid 140's all year, this may be just the incentive I need. I need to do a Wiggo for the assault on Ventoux next year :wink:

Now how many calories are there in a bottle of wine :roll:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    You may lose the weight but not the wobbly belly. Losing weight does not mean you'll lose it in specific target areas unless you work on these areas very hard. I've tried for about 3 years and I still have wobbly bit there. Unfortunately for me that's my body shape.

Belly fat is very hard to shift once you have it and are over a certain age (30+). A non carb high protein diet may yield results but will do nothing for your bike riding.

But hey good luck I'm sure you'll easily lose the weight just maybe not the belly.

Dude do not make me issue an internet kick in the nuts

"certain age" mumble mumble, wanders of to find his arse kicking boots :evil:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I'm in.

84.5 kg, 13st 3lbs.

target

78.3 kg, 12st, 3lbs.

Lose a stone in 10 weeks, at 1.4 lbs a week or 0.62 kilos.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • jojo90
    jojo90 Posts: 178
    I switched my diet to 6 meals based round protein and veg with protein and carb meal 1h before a workout and simple sugars and protein after workout.

Has done the trick for me... I'm eating much healthier and what feels like much more food than before.

Next shop in tescos just pick up loads of chicken breast, some vegetables, and some brown rice.. Chef it up a bit if you are that way inclined :)
  • itboffin
    jojo90 wrote:
    I switched my diet to 6 meals based round protein and veg with protein and carb meal 1h before a workout and simple sugars and protein after workout.

Has done the trick for me... I'm eating much healthier and what feels like much more food than before.

Next shop in tescos just pick up loads of chicken breast, some vegetables, and some brown rice.. Chef it up a bit if you are that way inclined :)

But are you happy? eh! eh?

*Gulps another swig of Friday beer and pats the now happy at rest two BBQ chilli burgers I had for lunch
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm up for this just after an indulgent holiday I'm tooled up to lose weight.. need to weigh myself sharpish :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • tailwindhome
    [Panic]

Curry tonight, Party tomorrow, Case of Peroni with my name on it

[/Panic]

We start Monday :lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    We start Monday :lol:

That's right WMC - we'll not start until Monday....

Friday weigh ins.....
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • I'm in too:

83.5 kg (now) (13st 1lb)
    77.5 kg (target) (12st 2lb)

6kg target loss (13lb)

Your imperial measures do my head in....
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm not in. Not 'til November, then I'm planning a sustained, long term effort in prep for next summer's alpine jaunt.

:shock:
  • tailwindhome
    Coriander wrote:
    I was eating a double chocolate temptation Magnum as I read this thread.

What is it they say - never start a war you can't win??? :wink:

I don't know

We'd be speaking German by now if we all thought like that

Eating sausage and drinking beer by the steiner.....

Hmmm....beer...sausages....
  • tailwindhome
    Gazzaputt wrote:

Also happy to go down a cup size
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    After losing 20k in three years I have stayed at 100k for the past 18 months but i have changed shape! i am also riding better and faster.

I would like to lose another 10k but I fear that a drastic regime change will be required :cry:

Unfortunately there are a lot of calories in a bottle of wine :cry:

Then then is the sherry, port, brandy and beer :oops:

This might be a bit tricky.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • tailwindhome
    [Panic]

Curry tonight, Party tomorrow, Case of Peroni with my name on it

[/Panic]

Curry - tick
    Party food - tick
    3 peroni left - you're my best fecking friends ever.. hic..
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    losing weight does not mean you'll lose it in specific target areas unless you work on these areas very hard. I've tried for about 3 years and I still have wobbly bit there

It is completely impossible to spot reduce fat via exercice - all you are doing is working the muscle underneath the fat.

Your body stores fat how and where it decides to - for males that's usually on the abdomen, for women hips and thighs. Generally the first place you gain fat will be the last place you lose it and other than surgery there's nothing you can do to make fat go from one area.
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    I'd be in if I dared get on scales at the moment. hehe
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Prince, there's not much of you at the minute. Why do you need to lose weight? :shock:

Anyway, I would have thought with winter coming, you guys should be carbo/fat loading to stay warm rather than take it off. You could start the reduction in February instead :)

Just a thought
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Yeah. Hell, why not! I'm in...

Diet starts tomorrow anyway.

Present 98kg aiming for 75kg!

I need to walk/run as well as cycle as I want to get back into walking and just cycling shortens the hamstrings..... Cross training... Ho hum!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I would be in, but I have a pregnant wife so we seem to be spending a lot of time eating what she fancies. Pizza express on saturday, Brewers Fayre last week and Mcdonalds for lunch tomorrow yummy 8)

Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I'm in.

Will weigh myself tomorrow as a start point. Will be somewhere around 100kg (15st10) and will aim for 90kg (14st2) in the 10 weeks (1kg / 2.2lb per week).

I won't make it, but anywhere close would be great.
    exercise.png
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    In.

Current:
    94kg

Target:
    85kgs
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Just finishing a bad week

Last Monday - Daughters birthday - much cake and ice cream and other nice things

Friday (past) My Birthday - out for a nice steak at a local hotel with wife and kids - a beer to start with and plenty of wine.

Saturday - Sons birthday. Carry out curry with all the bits (starters, peshwari nan, chapatis, rice, side dishes, kulfi).

Sunday - visit mother in hospital - she's allowed out for the day! Go for a drive and take her to a nice hotel for Sunday dinner (you know the story)

Today - Wedding anniv. More wine etc.

Ach - why the hell not - count me in

Current - 74kg
    Target - 68kg

.........................If I can start tomorrow.

-Spider-
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    However as a bloke, generally if you get to around 8% body fat then you'll have a 6-pack. It's more about working the excess body off than building muscle. Obviously building muscle helps because it increases your base metabolic rate though.

You'll find that muscles you use when training will stay unless you really restrict your calorie intake. However, if you do a lot of cv stuff, eat sensibly after training and the rest of the time any muscles you're not using will just melt away along with the fat.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    OK, I'm in too.

Current: 94.5kg
    Target: 89.5kg
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I would be in if I wasn't having a 12-day holiday in Italy in 2 weeks. I might join you after that - god knows I'll need to.