Cycle Fridays.

artaxerxes
artaxerxes Posts: 612
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
I came across this mass of slow moving cyclists on the A200 on the way into town this morning. Turns out its some sort of guided commute for inexperienced cyclist which I think is a great idea. Is anyone here a guide on that route from Greenwich to St Pauls?

Comments

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Agreed, it is a good idea.

We all know the roads can be used safely if you know what you are doing, this starts to show the uninitiated that fact without harping on about the alleged need to provide seperate cycling facilities.

I like it.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    There doesn't seem to be a route from Greenwich to St Pauls listed. In fact there is nothing listed in SE London at all.... Not that I'm looking to join or lead a route.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Stuey01
    Start and end points here:
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/12293.aspx

Greenwich to city is a route.
    Next closest to south east would be the brixton one.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    I cycled pass them too. I thought it was brilliant. Might chip in and help next week.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Just wait til they get really popular and start clogging up the roads, motorists'll start whingeing. If the weather's good on my club ride, there are sometimes 70+ cyclists. We split into 3 groups a short way into the ride, but I understand there are still regular complaints to the club about "too many cyclists together"
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    It's an excellent idea and I hope the groups increase in size. Wish it had been about when I first started.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Just wait til they get really popular and start clogging up the roads, motorists'll start whingeing. If the weather's good on my club ride, there are sometimes 70+ cyclists. We split into 3 groups a short way into the ride, but I understand there are still regular complaints to the club about "too many cyclists together"

I concur - I'm going to start making similar complaints re too many cars on the road each rush hour
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Stuey01
    Way to be positive...

Once people have learned the ropes they'll come in on their own at their own pace anyway, these are only to get people started. Attrition rate will be high, doubt they will ever get too big.
    Also they're only one day a week and only for an eight week period.