Tublar Tyre HELP!

211dave112
211dave112 Posts: 125
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Hi guys. Just looking at buying a new road bike, I've found a good second hand bike. The guy told me it has tubular tyres. Doing a bit of research this seems ok, although I'm wary of the "horror" stories of tyres rolling off the rims. :shock:

Anyone got any tips or advice?

Can only tubular tyres be used on tubular rims or can you get away with using clinchers?

Thanks for any help :D

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Tubular tyres can only be used with sprint rims, not clinchers. Provided they are stuck on properly with adhesive or tape there is very little danger of them rolling, but unless you are using them for racing they are more trouble than they are worth.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    As above - tubs can be a pain in the arse as fixing punctures is laborius (unless you pay the LBS to do that then its expensive) buying new tubs is expensive, nice tubs on good wheels offer a great ride but good clinchers on good clincher wheels are nearly as good but a lot less trouble YMMV
  • 211dave112
    211dave112 Posts: 125
    thanks for the help. i got the bike last night, picking it up today.

decided that i'll just work with the tubular's for a while then maybe splash out on some new rims if the frame and other components seem solid.

thanks for the help, great site this, spent a good portion of yesterday evening lurking around! 8)