Swinley Forest / The Lookout

merlie
merlie Posts: 276
edited September 2011 in MTB rides
Just thought I'd mention, had a 1st proper guided ride round Swinley forest and can't stop smiling ... although I wish I was fitter. 2hrs of it was plenty for me. Leg muscles were starting to seize up.

Comments

• it is a truly wonderful and magical place isn't it!!! Havent been for a month , itching to get back!
  • stev68
    stev68 Posts: 109
    Was over there sat,love swinley only half an hour away,mind you it took nearly an hour to get back to wycombe,knobbers shut the A404 and half of maidenhead :evil:
    Be over there in a couple of weeks no doubt,exploring the army bit hopefully wont get a hollowpoint through me noggin lol :D
    Told ya itll hurt!
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Another fan here !

Going again on Thursday !
  • tuxpoo
    tuxpoo Posts: 138
    Shhh!!!! ..(dont tell anyone about swinley!)

Nothing to see here! ... keep on moving!

Tux
  • how lucky are you to go in the week!! Can only make weekends

the nearest I get to mtb in the week is twisting the red knob to the right (no funny comments) in the spinning class
  • matt748
    matt748 Posts: 194
    another regular here, though never at weekends (it's too busy), always during the week.
    Nearly always get lost at some point, and never really sure if I've ridden the 'best' bits, although the route I do still v good.

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • J55TTC
    J55TTC Posts: 224
    I go as often as possible, will be there earl saturday morning and again on sunday at some point :D
  • Foxglove
    Foxglove Posts: 32
    tuxpoo wrote:
    Shhh!!!! ..(dont tell anyone about swinley!)

Nothing to see here! ... keep on moving!

Tux

LOL :lol::lol::lol::lol:

over there myself on my odd off days, been last saturday but was to busy so yeah lets keep it quiet ha ha :wink:
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Why not join the local club http://www.bobmbc.com/ (they're the guys who build the trails) and see what else the area has to offer??
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • matt748
    was up there today. Never seen it so busy in the car park / kids park. Still only saw a handful of mtb's, which goes to show how vast the place is.
    Pretty dry up there at the moment too :D

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • apparently there are 30 miles of single track?? rumour or true?? Recommend Bob on bikes - joined in March and no haven't been on that many rides with them but the ones I have been on have been excellent!!
  • matt748
    30 miles? Not sure, but you can ride in there for hours (ie getting lost!) without doing the same bit twice.

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • Foxglove
    apparently there are 30 miles of single track?? rumour or true?? Recommend Bob on bikes - joined in March and no haven't been on that many rides with them but the ones I have been on have been excellent!!

I was thinking of looking at Bob on bikes but not sure how fit they all are and if there are any ladies? Good to hear good things about them, that gives me confidence. Guess i should give them a call? lol :D
  • well I went for a saturday ride with them and there was a lady in the group. Before you join they invite you to a ride on a saturday morning at swinley and you get to know them, there were plenty of ladies on my taster ride if that helps.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Most of the crowd seem to be walkers and families, although I haven't been over for a while. Brilliant fun when the weather is lousy, and there is something for everyone.

Foxglove - Usually see a bunch of the Berks on Bikes guys/girls (esp at weekends), who are always friendly and happy to give tips and info. Just look out for the red/yellow jerseys.

Just head away from The Lookout and within 5mins rides the crowds all but disappear.
  • Foxglove
    well I went for a saturday ride with them and there was a lady in the group. Before you join they invite you to a ride on a saturday morning at swinley and you get to know them, there were plenty of ladies on my taster ride if that helps.

hey thanks yes that helps. :D:D
  • matt748
    Foxglove, I take it you've been to Mountain Trax bike shop in Barkham?
    Good shop with loads of stock. (I live in Arborfield)
    Have you found any decent local routes around our area?
    Matt

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    matt748 wrote:
    was up there today. Never seen it so busy in the car park / kids park. Still only saw a handful of mtb's, which goes to show how vast the place is.
    Pretty dry up there at the moment too :D

I was up there yesterday too, even at 7pm it was still quite busy.

How often do you ride there Matt? I was just out exploring by myself yesterday, new to the area so have no one to ride with yet.
  • matt748
    [/quote]
    How often do you ride there Matt? I was just out exploring by myself yesterday, new to the area so have no one to ride with yet.[/quote]

Not as often as I'd like, but work permitting every couple of weeks. Mostly ride up there with a couple of work mates. V welcome to join me / us. We are there for the enjoyment, not so much the out and out speed if you know what I mean.....

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • billysan
    edited August 2009
    matt748 wrote:
    We are there for the enjoyment, not so much the out and out speed if you know what I mean.....

Thats fine by me!
  • Foxglove
    matt748 wrote:
    Foxglove, I take it you've been to Mountain Trax bike shop in Barkham?
    Good shop with loads of stock. (I live in Arborfield)
    Have you found any decent local routes around our area?
    Matt

Hi Matt,

Yes been in Mountain Trax many times lately lol, just bought new shoes - as girls do, and tyres.
    As to routes, well dont know the area that well myself just yet so been doing my riding in Swinley Forest. Let me know if you find anything ineresting to explore and i will do the same if i happen to stumble over anything good. :D
    Foxglove
  • matt748
    Hi Foxglove,
    I tend to just use the bridal paths etc around barkham and arborfield if I'm just out for a quick blast. They're nothing special, but that's what the Lookouts for, and it's not a million miles away is it?!
    If you do find owt though, or want a joint ride up the Lookout, PM me. Thanks.

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Swinley Forset claimed my front wheel on Thursday !

Just down past Wickham Bushes, where it looks like there is a newish trial being built. I went up round a left hander on a bank, something happened not sure what, but I came away with a u/s rim !

You live and learn :roll:

Will attempt again :twisted:

Thanks to the guys who stopped to look for a spoke key.
  • Foxglove
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Swinley Forset claimed my front wheel on Thursday !

Poor you! Hope you ok :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Swinley's great. I'm over there almost every week (got an annual pass now), been doing it for a couple of years and still keep finding bits I've never done.

The downside is there are no directions to the singletrack so you may run into oncoming traffic. Or worse some dog walkers on it!

But there's something for everyone really and it's big enough that despite the car park being packed, you can end up seeing no one for miles once you get deep enough in (and that's even at a weekend).

Would be good to get on a ride with some other folk, though I'm no fitness freak and I'm not into jumps.

Would like to get over to Leith Hill at some point too, though I think I need a guide to find the singletrack.
  • J55TTC
    Hey deadkenny, Im in Woking too.

Let me know when you plan on going next and Ill see if I can join you.

Im planning a sat or sun soonish with a bunch of friends - the more the merrier!
  • reluctant
    reluctant Posts: 600
    I'm doing a sneaky ride today, on me own as my usual ride buddy has to work.
    Contact number in my profile, if anyone fancies hooking up. I know the area well, happy to lead - couple of hours of xc type riding.
  • billysan
    Would love to, bit short notice though sadly, not sure I can get away with knocking it on the head early now.

Cheers though.
  • J55TTC
    Unfortunately cant make it today but will more than likely be there on thursday
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    we went there last week, followed the signs to the 'expert mtb area'. It was quite late and wasn't really sure when we'd arrived *at* THE AREA, IYSWIM, I gather in retrospect, you are just supposed to head off the main path at random. But it was getting dark so we headed back.We therefore didn't see any of it What features did we miss? Tempt me back!