First run- great and disappointing

brh77
brh77 Posts: 242
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
All-

To those who helped me with 'online or LBS' and what to do when choosing I took my newly acquired Giant Defy (sourced from LBS) out for its first proper run last night- It was great ripping along- only disappointing thing was that I had only covered 11 miles- felt like a full tour stage to me! I am off to buy pedals and shoes this week and am even considering some tights / shorts......

Cheers for all the advice- much appreciated......

Ben

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nice one Ben, pedals do help as it can get tiring pushing yourself along with your feet on the floor, particularly, as you say, in bare feet, so shoes are good too ;)
  • flybike
    flybike Posts: 84
    Hahaha had me in stitches.... :lol:

although, along the same line, does that mean you were naked from the waist down :shock:
  • Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    Glad you're enjoying it. I look forward to you flying past me some day on one of Hertfordshire's mountains!
  • brh77
    brh77 Posts: 242
    I am glad that I did not talk about a saddle......

My wife now is laughing at me for being such a fool.

:oops:
  • As Napolean said, Padded shorts and proper cycling shoes will make a huge difference. As will a decent sports top to wick the sweat away and keep you cool.

Will no doubt see you on one of the many hills in and around Cambs/Herts/Beds/Essex :)
  • Tony666
    Tony666 Posts: 274
    Get the shirts and shorts first. Oh and when you get new pedals, practice first as we all fall off first time out!
  • Grazy81
    Grazy81 Posts: 196
    Hi guys i am from Herts too but over in Hemel Hempstead, i just read your posts and do you guys consider herts fairly hilly then, i generally only cycle round this kind of area so just wondered how it compares on the hill scales.
  • Essex Man
    Essex Man Posts: 283
    Grazy81 wrote:
    Hi guys i am from Herts too but over in Hemel Hempstead, i just read your posts and do you guys consider herts fairly hilly then, i generally only cycle round this kind of area so just wondered how it compares on the hill scales.

Around where I cycling in Herts/Essex, I'd say it was gently rolling rather than steep and peaky. I'm sure the Scotland/Wales/Yorkshire cyclists would consider it completely flat though...
  • Grazy81
    Grazy81 Posts: 196
    Yeah thats what i was suspecting it would be like, t5here are some challengingish hills but they do tend to be fairly short especially if you stand up and go for them :twisted: