A sticky proposition

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,931
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
I propose 2 stickys be added to the forum, lets keep these debates in one place

"Red Light Jumping - Is it wrong?"

"Helmets - Good or Bad?"

(Mods could perhaps just rename and make sticky the two most recent threads)

This threads to be accomodated by removing Helmet Cam Footage and Newbies Look Here

Who agrees?
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Can we have a "which lights?" sticky as well - last winter every other thread was a variation on the theme and while their usefulness is without question, they were so, so dull :shock:
  • biondino wrote:
    Can we have a "which lights?" sticky as well - last winter every other thread was a variation on the theme and while their usefulness is without question, they were so, so dull :shock:

But wait, that's already happened!
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    We should have a sticky entitled "Yes, no or maybe - what do you think?"

It would come in useful all the time.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    No.
  • biondino wrote:
    Dull maybe but at least those asking want to be seen in the dark, something we are all keen to encourage.

There could equally be "which tyre" stickys but the danger is you end up with a front page of pure stickys. Perhaps there could be a separate forum category under Commuting on cycle clothing, lights, tyres and other common questions....

The risk of course is that you end up with a forum with no new posts :D
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • tailwindhome
    whyamihere wrote:
    No.

Why?

Aside from the clearly expressed democratic will of the people
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    1. The clearly expressed democratic will of the people, as you mentioned.
    2. I don't want to.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    why not just have sticky threads and ban all other types of thread, then the OP can control what people are allowed to discuss

Why bother with a sticky, if it is important, poeople post on a thread and it stays near the top. If its not important it drops down the list.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Because people don't do a saerch when they should, and the mods get tired of answering the same questions three times a day.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    There should have been a 'This commuting forum is too London-centric - WTF is so special about the Morpeth Arms anyway?!' option.

I never RLJ whilst commuting. There isn't a single set of traffic lights on my entire 15-mile commute!

What's the difference between 'whilst' and 'while' anyway? Expecting LiT to speak up here...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Why don't you just start "The definitive RLJ thread" and "The Definitive Helmet thread" If people are interested enough it will stay at the top, otherwise, like so often is the case, they will fall off the end into oblivion, and someone else will start another Definitive helmet or RLJ thread.

Or maybe after the first 5 pages you can just copy and paste everything in those 5 pages and repeat those 5 pages again and again and again....oh hang on, that's what usually happens ;)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    DesWeller wrote:
    There should have been a 'This commuting forum is too London-centric - WTF is so special about the Morpeth Arms anyway?!' option
    Yeah ;) - there are many other very good pubs in London :P.

ps. What is so special about the Morpeth? It is on SCR central, duh!
  • tailwindhome
    spen666 wrote:
    why not just have sticky threads and ban all other types of thread, then the OP can control what people are allowed to discuss

Patience.

It's not time yet :twisted:
  • tailwindhome
    snooks wrote:
    Why don't you just start "The definitive RLJ thread" and "The Definitive Helmet thread" If people are interested enough it will stay at the top, otherwise, like so often is the case, they will fall off the end into oblivion, and someone else will start another Definitive helmet or RLJ thread.

Or maybe after the first 5 pages you can just copy and paste everything in those 5 pages and repeat those 5 pages again and again and again....oh hang on, that's what usually happens ;)

I had thought that a sticky thread might put posters off starting new RLJ and Helmet threads, which only end up in the same bad place.

Other topics reoccur but don't descend to the same level of hostility and spite.

At least not until those hybrid freaks get involved