Hooligans

spencer_uk
spencer_uk Posts: 26
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
So - nice ride to work today. New building, great facilities.... Having a nice ride home and five minutes from home I was passing a group of hooligans who were abusing eachother at the roadside. Minding my own business I cycled past them and they started lobbing bottles at me. Got hit by one in the back but wasn't going to stop for fear of having my head kicked in.

Nice.... anyone else got some stories of roadside hooligans to help me vent my anger?

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    spencer_uk wrote:
    So - nice ride to work today. New building, great facilities.... Having a nice ride home and five minutes from home I was passing a group of hooligans who were abusing eachother at the roadside. Minding my own business I cycled past them and they started lobbing bottles at me. Got hit by one in the back but wasn't going to stop for fear of having my head kicked in.

Nice.... anyone else got some stories of roadside hooligans to help me vent my anger?
    Egg sandwich from a car once.

Sausage another time.

Been missed on several occasions.

Watched someone have a bucket of canal water tipped on them from a bridge.

Had rocks hurled at me from a bridge whilst rowing.

Been peppered by stones from a catarpult whilst rowing.

Had half full beer can lobbed in my general direction for using the same canal as someone fishing.... whilst rowing.

Feel any better? :D
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    edited August 2009
    Got pushed off from a guy leaning out of a car window. He seemed to think it was hilarious. I didn't, and ended up in hospital.

Could have been worse for you i imagine!

Edit: I ended up in hospital as a result of the fall. Couldn't walk, pelvis/hip was all damaged etc. Just noticed that's not very clear...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    spencer_uk wrote:

Sausage another time.

Had half full beer can lobbed in my general direction for using the same canal as someone fishing.... whilst rowing.

Ever considered moving? (assuming this all happened where you are now.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • always_tyred
    cjcp wrote:
    spencer_uk wrote:

Sausage another time.

Ever considered moving? (assuming this all happened where you are now.)
    Yes.
    A couple in Stirling. Pretty, but a bit chav. One in the Kelvin Valley. Pretty but scarily chav.
    One in Stanley Park in Vancouver. I think abouut moving back all the time.
    One on False Creek in Vancouver. I threatened to open up a can of whoop ass and got an apology.
    A couple in Edinburgh. I forgive it.
  • always_tyred
    Did that add up, or am I making up stories with every post?
  • cjcp
    Maybe give south of the border a shot.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • always_tyred
    cjcp wrote:
    I've applied, but apparently its full up.

If anything, I'll get a lifetime supply of midge repellant and head further north.
  • cjcp
    :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    cjcp wrote:
    I've applied, but apparently its full up.

If anything, I'll get a lifetime supply of midge repellant and head further north.

Skin so Soft :wink:
  • thanks - that does make me feel a bit better.... Sounds like other places are as dangerous / chav / hooliganistic as Woolwich too.

There really are some pillocks out there.
  • Had someone throw a stick (presumably at my spokes but went through the frame off my legs) in Hackney once. Like you they were in a group so no point turning around and having a go - esp as I was new to wearing cleats and still at the Bambi on Ice stage
    Pain is only weakness leaving the body
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I was 'attacked' by a number of 5-7 year olds a couple of years ago. One of them was stood in the middle of an off-road cycle lane crying and acting in a generally distressed state. When I stopped four or five other kids jumped up from behind a concrete bollard and started throwing stones and sticks at me as well as hurling abuse.

Bob
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Coffee thrown from van - few times
    Tea thrown from van - few times
    Coffee thrown from car on motorway onto windscreen of my car

Whilst rowing: Various bottles full of either lucozade or wee (probably wee as it tends to be tramps throwing them)

Cassette tape thrown from car

Abuse from teens - few times - tend to ask them if they are gonna hang out near a local gents toilet with their little mates.

Punch thrown from van driver.....ugh not again!
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    I had some chips thrown at me once but i gather thats actually a friendly greeting in East london.
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    I was out of the saddle cycling up a hill last Monday evening and a car full of girls (early 20s) went past with one of them telling me I had a nice arse and could she has a squeeze :shock:

Obviously this is not on the same par as having rocks hurled at me but to date its the only thing that has happened. Perhaps I should move further North to get some real abuse :wink:
  • Just about to pass a bunch of chav's who had managed to find a wheel off a car, as I was going past the wheel holder tries throwing it at me, I shouted "tw@t" fortunatley he missed due to lack of strength.
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    One guy threw his girlfriend at me once. Pushed her off the pavement in to my path and laughed as me and her did our best to avoid each other. No doubt she's still with the knob.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I read the list of incidents some on here have had- numerous incidents, I can't recall anything like this happening to me

I ask myself is it: -
    1) the poster is somehow bringing these incidents on themselves
    2) they live/ cycle in dodgy areas
    3) I'm so unobservant I don't notice these things happening to me
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    We seem to have the basis for a pretty substantial meal here - sausage, egg and chips, bread & butter, with a nice cup of tea or coffee or a soft drink. That'd be over a fiver at my local caf.

I once had a cuddly bunny thrown at me by a small child (well maybe not at me - I suspect he was just lobbing anything he could get his hands on out the window). I picked up the offending item and handed it over to a very harrassed looking mum a few 100 metres down the road.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I had a stone thrown at me a while back, bounced of my helmet but would've smashed into my temple if I hadn't been wearing it. Little b@stards ran off. Some other little chavs tried to push a large cardboard box into my path as I whizzed along the Old Kent Rd once, but it was pretty easy to swerve out of the way. Other than that I can't think of any other problems of that ilk.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    cjcp wrote:

Mitcham. I need say no more.
    spen666 wrote:
    I read the list of incidents some on here have had- numerous incidents, I can't recall anything like this happening to me

I ask myself is it: -
    1) the poster is somehow bringing these incidents on themselves
    2) they live/ cycle in dodgy areas
    3) I'm so unobservant I don't notice these things happening to me

1. Probably not
    2. Possibly
    3. Dead cert
    My best one ever:

Yoofs in car stop alongside me at a red light and squirt me with the windscreen washer, probably deliberately misaligned for this purpose. Soapy water across the glasses (would have been in my eye if I hadn't been wearing them) just as the lights change.

Lights change, yoofs continue while I spot two police sergeants, complete with proper PC Plod helmets, walking along the road.

Quick discussion with sergeants and the yoofs are stopped by a police car further down the road.

Result: Yoofs fined, £75 victim compensation for me. I made sure I wore my senior civil servant outfit (striped suit, crisp shirt, old school tie) for the court hearing.
    Twice, both in Catford:

One young man threw a handful of change at me as he left a shop and I passed. He and I hadn't even exchanged glances. If I hadn't been wearing sunglasses he'd have blinded me without doubt.

Group of kids tried to create a distraction by fighting in the road while one of them threw a rock at me. Bounced off the road and pinged the wheel. Second incident was literally 200 yards from Catford old bill shop.
  • MattFT
    MattFT Posts: 178
    Summer holidays in Islington tend to be fun. Cycling home along Thornhill Road in posh Barnsbury. There's a school and zebra crossing with 30 to 50 kids pissing about on both sides of the road ambusing cyclists. A couple of them have meter plus lengths of 2x4 that they're throwing into people's rear wheels. They go for me and thankfully my rear pannier seems to knock the 2x4 out. Still resulted in broken pannier leg, 4 broken spokes and a very angry me. Had they of succeeded it probably would have stripped most of the spokes from my wheel or locked up the rear.

Little fooking scroats.
    FCN: 4

My Condor R.I.P.

Enigma Echo - everything outside the city
    Genesis Day One Disc - commuter
  • Headhuunter
    Oh I forgot. Guy in a white van tried to spit on me as he passed on Old Kent Rd but missed.... Stupid runt, I always end up travelling faster than the traffic on the OKR in rush hour and I'd soon caught up. I didn't say or do anything coz he completely missed and I pretended I hadn't noticed. If he had hit me I would have prepared a lovely greeny to flob through his window as I'd reached him....
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Had a full can of Coke thrown at me from a speeding car. I wasn't wearing a helmet at the time (just popping down the road) and the edge of it caught me in the back of my head. That hurt.

Had a stone catapulted at me form a Transit van (God knows why they had a catapult!). Hit me in the thigh and left a nice bruise but could've been worse.

Foodstuffs from some delightful kids living in an entirely legal caravan site.

Had an egg thrown at me whilst rowing.

Maggots thrown by an irate fisherman whilst rowing.

I also knew someone who had a mattress dropped on them off a bridge whilst rowing - they ended up in hospital.

Always Tyred... do you row in Edinburgh?
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    jesus... i've never experienced any nastiness to these levels, but can believe them... and also know myself well enough to know that i would go completely postal if anything like this happened to me. How on earth do you keep your cool (assuming you're not seriously injured, of course...)
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Headhuunter
    Has anyone had "Buy a car, you {insert insult here}" or derivative of shouted at them? Had that a couple of times, last time was as I whizzed past as part of a club ride, 2 grubby looking gypo kids from a caravan site.