Clothing Research - spare me a minute of your time

i heart mtb
i heart mtb Posts: 13
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Hey,
I'm currently studying Performance Sportswear Design at Falmouth University and am researching cycling clothing for my project.

It would be great if you could tell me what brands you all use and also if you wear a lightweight waterproof jacket which one do you own.

As keen commuter riders is there anything you'd like to see improved with the current selection of garments that are available?

Just some background info about myself:- i've been cycling for around 15yrs now, and have been racing for around 11 yrs nationally and internationally. I basically love bikes more than a good cuppa and a chocolate biscuit. I ride mtb xc and downhill, cyclo-cross, road, bmx freestyle and dirt jumping. I've competed in all kinds of events ranging from the NPS's, World Cups, 12hr and 24hr enduros, bmx freestyle events, DH races and cross races all over the places!

So as you can tell i'm a pretty keen rider, so would love to hear what riding clothing is good for you guys.

Thank you for your time, RIDE ON!

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I ride mtb xc and downhill, cyclo-cross, road, bmx freestyle and dirt jumping. I've competed in all kinds of events ranging from the NPS's, World Cups, 12hr and 24hr enduros, bmx freestyle events, DH races and cross races all over the places!

No SCR? :)

(More serious reply to follow...)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Hey,
    I'm currently studying Performance Sportswear Design at Falmouth University and am researching cycling clothing for my project.

It would be great if you could tell me what brands you all use and also if you wear a lightweight waterproof jacket which one do you own.

As keen commuter riders is there anything you'd like to see improved with the current selection of garments that are available?

Bib shorts - Nalini (club) and Castelli
    SS jersey - Nalini (club), MEC, a sportive top (dunno the make)
    Overshoes - Planet X
    Wind/water proof jacket - Altura Night Vision & Gore Phantom (detachable sleeves - the absolute business)
    Caps - Assos & Prologue
    Winter caps - Helly Hansen and Assos skull cap (awesome)
    Gloves - fingerless Specialized in warm weather; LewisKit base layer and outer glover system in winter/colder weaher
    Thermal running tights - Sugoi (under the bib shorts)
    Socks - club socks, LewisKit running socks; in winter, LewisKit merino socks
    Baselayers: LewisKit (yes, I'm a fan :) ) in winter/cool weather; in summer, I wear a Linebreak compression top.

I need a gilet and lightweight waterproof (like a Castelli or Montane).

This all keeps me warm. I tend to sweat like a madman, so, in winter, the Gore Phantom jacket stops me getting a chill.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Rapha
    Rapha
    Rapha
    Rapha and Rapha.

Self-confessed addict.

(and I use a montane featherlite velo)
  • Gilbie
    Gilbie Posts: 99

I've tried a fair range of specific cycling and cheaper sports clothes. Things that are important to me are the packing space (when carrying and not wearing), lightweight and easily washable, wicking and quick to dry. Oh, and cheap! :D
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I'd like to see a waterproof jacket that isn't a boil in the bag. When I'm cycling, I don't need to protect my armpits from rain, for example. Most solutions seem to aim for the gortex type solution - breathable fabric, which doesn't work all that well to either stop you sweating or in many cases to keep the rain out - but there doesn't seem to be much forethought into which parts of the body are actually exposed to the rain when riding.
  • Gill e-vent breathable waterproof for when its cold and really sheeting it down (Nov-March judging by last years weather).

Rapha Stowaway rest of the year - fantastic piece of kit, lightweight breathable and packs away to a tiny size (only buy at clearance sale prices though!).

Why can't cycling clothes manufacturers actually design stuff that works well and looks OK enough that you can wear it without looking like a complete twonk off the bike? Pet hate is in yer face branding on most cycling gear - whatever happened to subtle branding....

My ideal cycling gear would be comfortable, lightweight, fit for purpose, not cost a packet and look good. I don't ask for much eh :wink: