Ride 24 - 2010 version

biondino
biondino Posts: 5,990
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi guys,

I just got an email from the Ride 24 people who run the race I competed in last month. Entries are open for 2010, so if you want to get a SCR team together, now's the time to start thinking about it...

Link to info here.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Am tempted. No idea why though :o . Depends on holidays.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Could be persuaded. :D
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Marmotte, Chris. Stay focussed ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Marmotte, Chris. Stay focussed ;)

Yes, good point.

(Not mentioned that to The Good Lady yet.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Yeah that sounds like a good challenge, I'm in.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • biondino
    Right, that's SCR team 1 sorted - who's going to be part of SCR team 2? Seriously, there's a lot of hanging around at this thing and the more friends, the merrier.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,280
    I'd be up for that. Will it be July?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Possibly. It's a long way off mind.

Also, what's the deal with it? You have to raise cash for their charity to get a place?

It does seem a bit boring though, going round and round and round and round a track.

Was it boring?
  • biondino
    Hmm, was it boring. Well, I suppose it was boring, but it was more hard and punishing than it was boring. You're effectively time trialling for 6 hours, whether you break that up into 1-hour sections, half hour sections, even 1 lappers (though I wouldn't recommend it). The adrenaline is high, there's good opportunities for alliances and bonds to be made with fellow riders, and there are plenty of things to do off the bike (most of which involve food).

So in some objective sense it was boring, in reality it kind of wasn't because you're at the full extent of your capabilities whenever you're riding.

Also, free massages!
  • biondino
    You apply for a place and pledge to raise a certain amount - I think it's currently £1,500 per team. They're hoping to have 50 teams next year - this year there were only 23. More people on the track will mean way more collaboration - and way more scalping :)

It's June 19th-20th next year, I think.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    biondino wrote:
    Hmm, was it boring. Well, I suppose it was boring, but it was more hard and punishing than it was boring. You're effectively time trialling for 6 hours, whether you break that up into 1-hour sections, half hour sections, even 1 lappers (though I wouldn't recommend it). The adrenaline is high, there's good opportunities for alliances and bonds to be made with fellow riders, and there are plenty of things to do off the bike (most of which involve food).

So in some objective sense it was boring, in reality it kind of wasn't because you're at the full extent of your capabilities whenever you're riding.

Also, free massages!

Hmm what kind of massages? Oh hang on they're not from you are they? :?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Is there a sprint stage :twisted:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Hi - been lurking round hear ever since roadcyclingUK stopped working in the office (wonder if I managed to single-handedly get it on the blacklist!?)

Anyway - I too rode this race this year - was asked by a guy in my cycling club if anyone wanted to join a team from his wife's company.

Stupidly said yes, then realised that we were the company's "serious" team - one 2nd Cat racer, a guy who does marathons and enduro XC for fun, another guy who rides on and off-road plenty, and me - been taking the riding seriously since I joined RCC in January - shed over 2 stone, but still, ahem, fuller-figured...

So, as Biondino said - it was pretty tough in places, and essentially worked out as 1hr-ish chaingangs if you could hang on.

We were fortunate enough to get into a good rhythm of coming out and getting straight onto the wheels of the fast group, and managed to bring it home 2nd overall.

Was gob-smacked frankly - my only other race prior to that was a 10 lap hare&hounds at Palmer Park where all I managed to do was blow up and ride round high on the banking out of everyone's way, before plunging back down and into the back of a guy taking us both out!

But anyway - if I can't get a team together from Reading CC (or my work place) I'll happily tag onto a team from here!

And regards the forum - Thanks for having me. Mine's a bitter, ta!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...