Girls shorts questions. Also, pants or no pants?

Gettingthere
Gettingthere Posts: 11
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
I am new to this cycling malarky. I have some shorts but they don't have padded bums. I figured that mine wouldn't need additional padding!! What I have are fine for me at the moment, (don;t go out for more than an hour) but I am assured that I will need extra padding sooner or later.

I really don't want to spend a fortune, but will spend more if its necessary. Any recommendations? I am a size 12 if that makes any difference.

Also, I have read on other threads that no pants is the way to go. REALLY??? Is that for boys and girls? Or are there special pants that I need too? SDo;t get me wrong I'm not averse to no pants :lol: but it sseems wrong somehow when sitting on a bike.........

Thanks

Comments

• daveclow
    daveclow Posts: 164
    :shock:
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    :shock:

Any pics?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • You shouldn't wear pants if the shorts have a chamois. Everyone is different when it comes to shorts, so have a look around and see what you think fits you best.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pants cause chafing and do not wick sweat away which can result in saddle sores. (Saddle sores are a mare!!)

Best combo is some good padded shorts and some chamois cream.

You tend to get what you pay for with shorts and a good pair is a very good cycling investment!
  • Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Pants cause chafing and do not wick sweat away which can result in saddle sores.

Best combo is some good padded shorts and some chamois cream.
    Chamois cream optional, shorts very much recommended (especially if you've got a white saddle).
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    edited August 2009
    No pants please, Charlotte :wink:

Seriously, NapoleonD is spot on - a decent pair of shorts (this is one area not to scrimp on) and some chamois creme, and away you go. Pants will move around when you're cycling and cause chafing and possibly saddle sores, which are really unpleasant and may stop you riding for a bit while they heal. :cry:

It's only you that is going to know that you've gone commando anyway.
  • Ok so my next question - chamois/chamois cream?

I presume some shorts have chamois inside them?

And no, no pics, strangely!
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    edited August 2009
    A chamois is just the name of the padding that is stitched into the shorts (a.k.a. an insert or even a nappy :shock: )

See here: T_SMS_TwistGel_Intech.jpg

Chamois cream / creme is a lotion that is applied either to the chamois itself, or directly to your "parts" before riding. Assos do a great creme at £10 per tub, but other people use Sudocrem, etc.
  • Anonymous
    Shorts these days have a synthetic pad as opposed to real chamois but the name has stuck. Other than the benefits of padding the pad draws sweat away from the seat area maintaining comfort.

Chamois cream (or you can use sudocrem or vaseline although I don't find it as effective for chafe prevention) helps reduce chafing further and helps prevent saddle sores.
  • crabstix
    crabstix Posts: 61
    Chamois usually today indicates a padded synthetic insert in the crotch/bottom area. Most cycling shorts/bibs/knicks come fitted with one. The best are said to be by Assos but I like Kiss pads in my Castelli bibs. Female specific pads are fitted in female specific shorts.

Chamois cream such as Assos's' own is a blend of moisteriser, astringents and antiseptics that keep the area fresh and, um, lubricated. Just follow the instructions on the jar.
  • thanks, that clears things up a little.
  • lowe
    lowe Posts: 61
    Definitely no pants for girls too (I am a girl).

Sizes and fit vary quite a bit so it is worth going to your local bike shop and trying on some pairs. I find them more comfortable if they are a little lower at the front and the pad is well fitted. Also, as with saddles, thicker padding doesn't necessarily mean more comfort. I now have addidas and club (Kalas) bib shorts which I find even better but standard shorts are a good starting point.

Plus, I am not sure chamois cream is that good an idea for girls, though I could be wrong...
  • Anonymous
    lowe wrote:

Sizes and fit vary quite a bit so it is worth going to your local bike shop and trying on some pairs. I find them more comfortable if they are a little lower at the front and the pad is well fitted. Also, as with saddles, thicker padding doesn't necessarily mean more comfort. I now have addidas and club (Kalas) bib shorts which I find even better but standard shorts are a good starting point.

Plus, I am not sure chamois cream is that good an idea for girls, though I could be wrong...

There is nowt saying don't on the packaging of the stuff I use, it should work just as well for ladies.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    lowe wrote:

As I understand it, girls have bottoms too? :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    I think what the lady means is that they have an extra area to irritate that we don't hence not using cream.
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    lowe wrote:

I'd tend towards more importnat for us girls than it is for boys (we have more nooks and cranies down there)

Having said that, all it really is doing is reducing the friction between your skin and either other bits of skin or your shorts. Sweat can increase the friction, as can repeated contact like you might get on longer rides. But If you don't get any friction (and you would know if you were) then i wouldn't feel the need to use it.

P.s in reply to the original post - try here for a nice range of shorts for women (and of course check out the sale bin too: Minx Girl
  • lowe
    lowe Posts: 61
    Thank you Roscobob that was what I was trying to imply. I haven't personly tried it, but I have heard of others finding it 'irritating'.
  • Thanks, there is just such a lot of stuff available that its a bit of a minefield when you are a beginner. I don't mind spending a bit more if need be, but also don;t want to be ripped off becuase I don't know what I'm doing!

I think I'm way off needing cream but will check out the site and makes metioned, its good to have a starting point. I tried a cheaper pair on recently, and while they were generally ok, the legs had elestic round the bottom which was very tight and looked awful.
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    lowe wrote:
    Thank you Roscobob that was what I was trying to imply. I haven't personly tried it, but I have heard of others finding it 'irritating'.

Had to clear it up so I could stop blushing :oops:
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    Hi

You can also get female specific saddles. Not sure if that would help along with the shorts.

Your backside will get used to sitting on the saddle after a wee bit.
  • I am new to this cycling malarky. I have some shorts but they don't have padded bums. I figured that mine wouldn't need additional padding!! What I have are fine for me at the moment, (don;t go out for more than an hour) but I am assured that I will need extra padding sooner or later.

I really don't want to spend a fortune, but will spend more if its necessary. Any recommendations? I am a size 12 if that makes any difference.

Also, I have read on other threads that no pants is the way to go. REALLY??? Is that for boys and girls? Or are there special pants that I need too? SDo;t get me wrong I'm not averse to no pants :lol: but it sseems wrong somehow when sitting on a bike.........

Thanks

No pants is always the way to go on a bike (unless you're wearing a skirt without shorts underneath, although that would pretty much guarantee that everybody would let you go...)

Be prepared to feel like a massive heifer for being a size 12, cyclists are all apparently extremely skinny.

Of course it depends on what kind of a size 12 you are (I'm a short and carrying some extra pounds size 12, rather than a tall but fairly slim size 12) - the most comfy shorts I have are by Briko in a medium, but they're hard to find these days.

Definitely shop around and try stuff on if you can, as always clothing sizes are a bit hit and miss.
  • Anonymous
    I am new to this cycling malarky. I have some shorts but they don't have padded bums. I figured that mine wouldn't need additional padding!! What I have are fine for me at the moment, (don;t go out for more than an hour) but I am assured that I will need extra padding sooner or later.

Thanks

No pants is always the way to go on a bike (unless you're wearing a skirt without shorts underneath, although that would pretty much guarantee that everybody would let you go...)

Be prepared to feel like a massive heifer for being a size 12, cyclists are all apparently extremely skinny.

Of course it depends on what kind of a size 12 you are (I'm a short and carrying some extra pounds size 12, rather than a tall but fairly slim size 12) - the most comfy shorts I have are by Briko in a medium, but they're hard to find these days.

Definitely shop around and try stuff on if you can, as always clothing sizes are a bit hit and miss.

Definitely...

Clothing sizes vary by manufacturer.

Plus, when trying on, remember to lean forward as though you are in a riding position if trying bibshorts and jerseys etc on as they may feel uncomfortable whilst stood up and put you off, yet are dreamy-comfy in a cycling position.
  • Chamois cream is a must, but I find Assos cream gives me (ahem) thrush. :oops: Could just be me though. I find DZNuts is fine for me, but mostly just put it on the chamois rather than too much on my skin. I find the crease between top of leg and undercarriage is a useful place for it...

As for shorts, I find Nike very comfortable (I'm a size 14). I got mine from evans, but I'm not sure if they still carry them
    Not lost, just exploring...
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Roscobob wrote:
    I think what the lady means is that they have an extra area to irritate that we don't hence not using cream.

Well, I hardly use the little fella to stir the pot before using it myself... ...it may be fun, but it would delay the ride somewhat. :wink:
    Cycling weakly
  • hells
    hells Posts: 175
    I'm a girl and I find nike and pearl izumi to be the most comfortable. I also have a selle italia lady saddle which has transformed my riding experience. I havent used chamois creme yet but I have ordered some to try now that I am doing longer riders. pantless is the way to go.
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Trek 1.7 compact 2009
    Tank race elite 2007
    Marin Alpine trail 2007
    Specalized Langster 2010
    Kona Jake the Snake
  • NapoleonD wrote:

Definitely...

Clothing sizes vary by manufacturer.

Plus, when trying on, remember to lean forward as though you are in a riding position if trying bibshorts and jerseys etc on as they may feel uncomfortable whilst stood up and put you off, yet are dreamy-comfy in a cycling position.

Also remember that the no pants rule does not apply until you've purchased your spandy new cycling kit!
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    I find the crease between top of leg and undercarriage is a useful place for it...

Definately me too Janet :lol: didn't realise for a long time that men put it on their bums - I never have a problem with my cheeks (apart from the sheer size of 'em :oops: ) just that irritating crease at the top of the leg.......also just bought that Udderley Smooth (think this is the name) chamois cream - it is bliss..........and comes in a cute pot.
  • Anonymous
    I put mine in that 'crease' too...

Not my bum.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I wonder whether we'd have this conversation with a load of strangers sat round in a pub? :lol:

Just for the record, I've done a fair amount of cycling in my time and never used any type of chamois cream. So as far as I'm concerned it's completely unnecessary.

Ruth
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    SDo;t get me wrong I'm not averse to no pants :lol: but it sseems wrong somehow when sitting on a bike.........
    No one will notice.