52.4 miler...

desperate73
desperate73 Posts: 135
edited September 2009 in Road beginners
6th time on the bike in 20years and i wanted to do a 20miler. So i get off from ng32 to ng12.

Did it in 1hr 55min avg speed 14mph and 26.5 miles inclusive of the 2 rests.

Had a cup of tea and a little lucazade and rested for half an hour.

I was going to leave the bike there and get the wife to pick me up en-route home. But felt ok so decided to bike back too.. not the bestest of moves it has murdered me.

Final journey home was 2hrs 20mins avg speed 11.1 same 26.5 miles. Inclusive of all rests about 6 or 7.. it killed me especially grantham hill on the a52.

Thanks for reading and please comment...

:P :D:D
Account requested to be deleted

Comments

• zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Good effort mate. I'd like to say it will only get easier - but it won't!
    What's with all the stopping? Just slow down a bit til you get your breathe back? Am only guessing, but with stopping all the time - won't it effect your rhythm and alike?

Don't worry abput your ave to much. If you keep the fitness up, and keep hitting the road, it will improve.
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Well done. Next time will be easier :D

Wind can make a massive difference b.t.w. It's possible it was on your back on the way out, in your face on the way back. That can make life very difficult, and it's well worth bearing in mind if you're planning a trip.
  • thanks mate the stops were out of necessity!! On return journey I was just hitting brick walls with leg strength and muscle pain.about 2/3rds through the return journey and my legs were done.. i'd just lost the power in them but had to keep on pushing as clever cloggs here had left phone and money at my mums :?
  • rhext wrote:

Wind can make a massive difference b.t.w. It's possible it was on your back on the way out, in your face on the way back. That can make life very difficult, and it's well worth bearing in mind if you're planning a trip.

Yes there was a slight tail wind heading out.. i didn't think there was but on return discovering the head wind was not a nice feeling.. knowing how bad it was going to be :evil:
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Extra Hard-Man points to you desperate73. 6th ride after a 20 year layoff, most people half your age wouldn't consider even attempting 52 miles with that little bit of conditioning.
  • ^^^ thanks Cranky.. although some would debate the hardman vs stupidfool thing somewhat :P :P
  • ^^^ thanks Cranky.. although some would debate the hardman vs stupidfool thing somewhat :P :P
  • Nice one buddy, I have only done two 20 milers so far and the numbness in my backside was killing me !

I used to live in Notts and know that route and the hill you mean, good effort fella.
  • Nice one buddy, I have only done two 20 milers so far and the numbness in my backside was killing me !

I used to live in Notts and know that route and the hill you mean, good effort fella.

• Thanks Hopper.. i hate that hill ! After 1/2 to 2/3rds climb i had to stop. tried again but ended up pushing the bike to the top :oops: :oops:

• mba007
    mba007 Posts: 95
    Good going. It should only get easier (or so people tell me).

My current strategy for impossible (cos I is fat) hills is to peddle a set number of revolutions and then stop to catch my breath thus breaking the hill up into smaller segments that allows your body to catch-up. Over the weeks I've been gradually increasing the number of revolutions between pauses and am finding that long rides are still possible.

I did 85km yesterday through the Chilterns and feel great for it. Yes I ache, yes I did push myself, but I didn't kill myself trying. Long journeys require a different strategy to shorter journeys.

I feel I'm rambling now so I'll stop!
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    rhext wrote:
    It never gets easier, you just get faster. :wink:
  • ian_s
    ian_s Posts: 183
    I know what you mean about pains in the legs. On my first long run c 50 miles, I was in agony from my lower calves on the last 5 miles or so. Its improved a lot now though.

What does this mean btw
    'So i get off from ng32 to ng12.'
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    There I was quite pleased with my 20 miler.... Oh well!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Well done, great effort at your level. Next time it will be a bit easier(try a bit more food and liquids next time, that will help get you back) Used to live in Grantham so I know the hill you mean(I assume you mean the Nottingham side of Grantham) The hill the other side of the town, Somerby Hill, is good grind as well.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Tis one of my commute days tomorrow - 30 miles each way :D

My third outing on the bike (Sunday before last) was to see if the commute was possible - 60 miles in one go - hurt a bit at the end :lol: This is Essex though so no real hills. Highest on my route rises from 0 to about 400 ft in (approx) 0.5 mile.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • desperate73
    edited August 2009
    Thanks all. I've finished early today and am abit sore on the neck, thighs and calves.

Got to say though i did really enjoy it. The last 6 or 7 miles though were a killer with 2 not steap but long climbs.. At least 2 old fella's in Barkstone cheered me on going through the village.. even suggesting there was a row of tic tacs other side the hill for me to follow ;)

Seat bones bruised slightly but the dhb under shorts are only slightly padded. the bikesters i have now were a god send.. cool and dry unlike my t-shirt (Decathlon today).

="ian_s"]What does this mean btw
    'So i get off from ng32 to ng12.'[/quote]

It's the postcodes mate.. ng32 being Ancaster and NG12 being Radcliffe.. I did the main road routes as if i had a problem the mrs would easily find me :oops:
  • Surf-Matt
    cjw wrote:

My third outing on the bike (Sunday before last) was to see if the commute was possible - 60 miles in one go - hurt a bit at the end :lol: This is Essex though so no real hills. Highest on my route rises from 0 to about 400 ft in (approx) 0.5 mile.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
  • ^^^^ Yes!

1 1/2 hrs to work.. Mind you. On a nasty traffic day i bet timewise it's on a par with car.. only healthier, fitter, happier, greener and cheaper too.

win win
  • Surf-Matt
    Explain this word "traffic" to me (I live in deepest darkest Cornwall)...
  • rhext
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Explain this word "traffic" to me (I live in deepest darkest Cornwall)...

'Traffic' is the smallish colourful shiny metal boxes which alternate with the huge white shiny metal boxes along all of your single-carriageway roads!
  • desperate73
    edited August 2009
    Damnit wrong person again. I must learn to differentiate between Surf-mat = good. A someone else = not good
  • Hornetto
    Hornetto Posts: 141
    cjw wrote:
    Good stuff, my commute is 25 miles each way which I have been doing once a week over the summer (just about 1&1/2 hrs e/w on average - going home is slower as it is more uphill). Really loving being able to get out on the bike during the week (with a 10 week old baby daughter at home I don't get much other opportunity!).
    Never argue with an idiot - they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience
  • lastwords
    lastwords Posts: 304
    well done you did well to do that much after 6 times on a bike in 20yrs i think it does get easier with time unless you always try to ride quicker of course.

I sometimes wish i had a longer commute mine is only about a mile, I did 46miles on saturday took me 3hrs, 7minutes with ave speed of 14.8 this included 3000+ ft of climbing.
  • ^^ thanks mate
  • rhext
    lastwords wrote:
    well done you did well to do that much after 6 times on a bike in 20yrs i think it does get easier with time unless you always try to ride quicker of course.

I sometimes wish i had a longer commute mine is only about a mile, I did 46miles on saturday took me 3hrs, 7minutes with ave speed of 14.8 this included 3000+ ft of climbing.

Only if you take the most direct route ;-)
  • jamestux
    jamestux Posts: 47
    Hi Desperate73,

I did the same kind of thing, I'd never ridden long - haven't really been on my mountain bike for 7 or 8 years, bought a road bike did a 6 mile ride to check seat position etc the Monday after I got it then did a cheeky little 23 miler each way the weekend after.

And yes it was the and back that killed me too!
  • Dunkeldog
    Dunkeldog Posts: 138
    As others have said - next time will be much easier. Having a month off the bike I decided to 'find my limit' on Sunday. 51 miles and those last five were torture! Like most things if you build up you'll be amazed at what your body will cope with!