Sneezing after morning commute

Mike400
Mike400 Posts: 226
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
This is driving me crazy. Every morning when I get into work, after getting cleaned up / changed, I sit down at my desk and start sneezing. Like properly sneezing.

Now I dont mean to disgust but its proper "snotty" sneezes......the "snot" is clear which I guess is a good thing but its driving me insane as it lasts a good 15 - 20 minutes every morning.

It doesnt seem to matter what the weather is like - cold/hot rain/dry it always happens.

So im the weirdo in the office that cycles in and has a toilet roll in his desk!

I have got hayfever, and mild asthma, but this sneezing doesnt seem to be consistant with either - I have no other symptoms, I feel great otherwise.

Am I just allergic to work???
twitter @fat_cyclist

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Do a search on exercise-induced rhinitis and you'll see you're not alone. I snot like buggery when cycling but it soons clears up when I get to each end.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    +1 KB. Running does it for me. Guaranteed to be the only runner with a hanky :)
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    I get this too! I just assumed I was allergic to work as well!

I get the normal exercise-induced rhinitis which stops when I stop cycling no worries, but then when I sit down at teh desk, bosh, its starts. I wondered whether is was a dusty workplace or some strange pollen on the way in!
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    @ Gert. Dusty workplace I reckon. I've been told we have cleaners where I work but the growing dust levels on my monitor/phone/pedestal makes me wonder.
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    Im fine when im on the bike, and at home as well so it must be something in here (work)

But if I come in on the train / by car im fine? Does excercise make you more prone to dust etc?
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yeah I get quite snotty on the bike. Less so when I run and never at the gym. As I cycle I'm forever blowing crap out of my nostrils and spitting. It's one way of getting rid of rear wheel drafter leeches...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Used to happen to me in the office, 5 mins after sitting down, it would start and then after about mins it would calm down, doesn't happen when on the bike though. At the moment my sinuses are quite clear for once, narrow but clear, end up breathing through my mouth anyway.