Groupset equivalence: Does Centaur = Shimano105?

Sparklehorse
Sparklehorse Posts: 126
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
I know there is a degree of subjectivity to this, but I wondered if someone could clarify the rough equivalence between the groupsets. I'm looking at a new bike and need a way of telling if one groupset matches another. E.g. is Campag Centaur roughly of the same standard as Shimano 105?

Comments

• whilst this threads getting started, i was going to ask where does Sram rival fall in the other two main competitors product line ups, as far as quality and performance go?
    “If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on.”

@mattbeedham
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I thought it was something like this...
    sora = xenon
    tiagra = mirage
    105 = veloce
    ultegra = centaur
    dura ace = chorus

record is the top of the top of the top.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    record is the top of the top of the top.

Unless it comes up against a super record :p
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    Hmmm,
    I think headhuunter has them compared on price, I think all of the top groupsets work about the same performance-wise, and you should choose based on , oh, colour....

(braces for flames)
    Cheers,
    S.
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    whilst this threads getting started, i was going to ask where does Sram rival fall in the other two main competitors product line ups, as far as quality and performance go?

Depends who you ask but Rival is lighter than Ultegra (and Ultegra SL I believe though that may depend on exactly which components you select) and many would say of similar quality.

Centaur is also lighter than Ultegra and IMO cooler looking. I haven't used current Ultegra (only 9 speed) but I confidently say that Centaur is pretty good and it looks very nice on my Ribble.

Matthew
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    Ditto that, I have Centaur on my Ribble, not had the pleasure of using equivalent Shimano, but headhunter's post echoes what I've seen elsewhere.
    General posts are that 105 & Veloce up are all pretty high-tech, it then comes down to feel & preference.
    Not everyone likes Campy thumblevers, while SRAM double push seems an excellent system
    My knees hurt !