RLJer gets nicked

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
Dodging traffic down the Euston Road, overtake a copper on a motorbike

Next lights are red, copper pulls up next to me. In next lane, woman on an old clunker takes a good look down the junction and merrily trundles across. Copper and I look at each other in a "is she having a laugh?!" kind of way and as the lights change, he fires up the blues and nips off after her, nabbing her at the next lights.

Excellent :twisted: .

Anyone know what the fine is for a bike jumping a red would be? For a car I assume it's the usual 3 points and £60.

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Think it's a FPN £30. Great move by the PC, big thumbs up. :D
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    LOL, completely oblivious to the copper... :roll:

Very much got what she deserved.

I can imagine the look you shared with the copper, kinda a hybrid of :shock: , :? and :roll:
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Stuey01 wrote:

Very much got what she deserved.

I can imagine the look you shared with the copper, kinda a hybrid of :shock: , :? and :roll:

Something like that!

I've a lot of time for motorbike cops, stopped off at a McDonalds in the Midlands recently and there were a couple in there, my kids (4 y.o. twins) wanted a look at their bikes, and not only did they get to sit on them, but the coppers also started up the engines and switched on the blue lights for them...how chuffed were my two? :D:D

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Stuey01 wrote:

Simply contributing to the evolution of the human by attempting to remove herself from the gene pool? I'm amazed at how little attention some commuters give to what they and everyone else are doing.
    If she doesn't notice a police bike stopped at a red light, it makes you wonder what else she's completely oblivious to. Daft tart.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    I might send my manager to this thread. I congratulated him on riding in this morning when I hadn't (crap night's sleep, so didn't feel properly awake). We had a chat about our routes in and I mentioned that wanted to change mine as there were too many traffic lights. "Oh, I don't stop for them. Am I supposed too?"

Oh dear.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    lardboy wrote:
    I might send my manager to this thread. I congratulated him on riding in this morning when I hadn't (crap night's sleep, so didn't feel properly awake). We had a chat about our routes in and I mentioned that wanted to change mine as there were too many traffic lights. "Oh, I don't stop for them. Am I supposed too?"

Oh dear.

And he's a manager??????
    Dudu wrote:
    lardboy wrote:

Oh dear.

And he's a manager??????

And a bad one at that. Full of management speak (KPIs, performance objectives and briefing standards), but empty of skills. Perfect middle manager.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    maybe best if you don't send him to the thread after all now lardboy?
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    To be honest, I'll let him continue RJLing, and hope that Darwin acts soon. I could do with a few day off from his blather.
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    My sister constantly asks me dopey questions about cycle commuting.

"must be handy not having to stop at lights, but thats dangerous isnt it? Oh you do have to stop at lights. right. Doesnt seem fair as its not like you are a vehicle or anything"

"A bicycle is a vehicle? like a car then? but thats just stupid its just a bike"

"Why dont you just use the footpath? theres never anyone on that footpath (the one on the road that leads to my street) and then I wouldnt have to keep overtaking people on bikes?"

"Cyclists should move out of the way when a car is behind them - its really dangerous trying to squeeze past when theres cars coming the other way!"

I swear if I ever see her car when im on the bike ill hide in a hedge or something. Bloody lethal.
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Interesting that she trusted her vision to get the all clear to jump the lights, but didn't see the Police Motorcycle.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    lardboy wrote:
    Dudu wrote:
    lardboy wrote:

Oh dear.

And he's a manager??????

And a bad one at that. Full of management speak (KPIs, performance objectives and briefing standards), but empty of skills. Perfect middle manager.

btw - can you tell me what KPI stands for? I've been too afraid to ask at work - everyone else seems to know :oops:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Porgy wrote:
    btw - can you tell me what KPI stands for? I've been too afraid to ask at work - everyone else seems to know :oops:

Key Performance Indicator, I know, that doesn't make it any clearer :)
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    edited August 2009
    Key Performance Indicator :roll:
    It means the target which has been arbitrarily decided will get a manager a bonus if it is achieved by the people who actually do the work.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Key Performance Indicators

Edited for Doh!
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    aah! i knew what they did, i didn't know what the letters stood for.

they're a bit less arbitrary in my job - based on how many trains we run, how long equipment is out of service and staff injuries (target = 0), etc.
  • Mike400
    Aidy wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

I heard a new one in here the other week - "critical friend". I know it doesn't refer to a mate in intensive care, but apart from that I haven't a baldy notion....
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Mike400
    Aidy wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

I heard a new one in here the other week - "critical friend". I know it doesn't refer to a mate in intensive care, but apart from that I haven't a baldy notion....
    twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Mike400
    Aidy wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

twitter @fat_cyclist
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    The best politically correct one I have heard is "Thought Shower" it is the new Brain Storming, changed because Brain Storming might be offensive to people of slightly lower iq... i.e. BMW drivers.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ellieb wrote:
    Key Performance Indicator :roll:
    It means the target which has been arbitrarily decided will get a manager a bonus if it is achieved by the people who actually do the work.

I tend to think of them as things that management think indicate the job is being done but which actually are the very things that prevent the job from getting done.

Basically, achievement of a KPI indicates to management that the staff and business are working well. If we didn't have KPIs, the only way of ensuring that the business worked efficiently and smoothly would be to sack the managers so they are pretty important :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    The best politically correct one I have heard is "Thought Shower" it is the new Brain Storming, changed because Brain Storming might be offensive to people of slightly lower iq... i.e. BMW drivers.

+1 :D:D:D
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    lardboy wrote:

Oh dear.

My missis, car nut, doesn't really like the bike ride thing but I make her do it, constantly complaining about cyclists going through red lights, bike ride the other day, straight through a ped xing on red.

"Well there was nobody anywhere near it".
  • SecretSam wrote:
    Dodging traffic down the Euston Road, overtake a copper on a motorbike

Next lights are red, copper pulls up next to me. In next lane, woman on an old clunker takes a good look down the junction and merrily trundles across. Copper and I look at each other in a "is she having a laugh?!" kind of way and as the lights change, he fires up the blues and nips off after her, nabbing her at the next lights.

Excellent :twisted: .

Anyone know what the fine is for a bike jumping a red would be? For a car I assume it's the usual 3 points and £60.

lovely, not the same but a while back saw some one get fed up and over take a car in a 20 zone, okay wasn't marked but fairly clearly a police pursuit car, the under dash blues came on....
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    ...not the same but a while back saw some one get fed up and over take a car in a 20 zone, okay wasn't marked but fairly clearly a police pursuit car, the under dash blues came on....

On a bike?
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    ...not the same but a while back saw some one get fed up and over take a car in a 20 zone, okay wasn't marked but fairly clearly a police pursuit car, the under dash blues came on....

On a bike?

ah woops no car.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Re Op - That's fantastic. Every time I see RLJer I hope to then see a cop pulling them over. If you do the crime you should be prepared to do the time.

One of the best things I ever saw was a horse mounted cop stop a RLJer.

I was stopped at a red light when another cyclist sails past and through the intersection. Immediately on the other side, a cop on one of those huge police horses pulls the RLJer over to the curb. From his mounted position the cop is towering over the RLJer, his horse's hind-quaters at RLJer head height. While the cop calmly explains to the RLJer the error of his ways, he is very subtly but continuously manouvering the horse's rear into the RLJer's air space.

The look on the RLJer's face was priceless! He seemed to be trying very very hard to concentrate on what the cop was saying while trying even harder to ignore the horse rump that kept coming within inches of his face.

I have never been so entertained while waiting for a red light! I must have laughed myself all the way home! :lol:
  • weadmire
    weadmire Posts: 165
    You all seem rather vindictive. It is not likely that we will ever find out whether said RLJer was indeed find but it is most likely that she was not.

Had said copper knicked me or tried to I would have pointed out that it is much safer for all cyclists to jump lights than it is to trust them with your safety.

In that regard all the posters to this thread who want to denigrate this woman for jumping lights by inferring she is likely to be killed or otherwise damage her chances of reproduction through jumping lights are completely wrong.

Female cyclists are hugely over represented in the numbers killed at light controlled junctions in London. They form about 35% of the cycling population and about 70% of those killed. The cause of this extraordinary out performance was explained informally by some NGO transport group invited to consider the consequences of the installation of lights at just about every junction in London by Ken Livigstone's administration. Their conclusion was that women are more law abiding than men and therefore more likely to obey traffic lights. You can well imagine that said transport NGO would not have been keen to formally confirm this. Had they done so the implications would have been clear even to the one eyed pedants who so obviously enjoy being sanctimonious and raised their here here's to the OP of this thread.
    WeAdmire.net
    13-15 Great Eastern Street
    London EC2A 3EJ
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    So in the circumstances of a large vehicle waiting at lights to turn left (indicating or otherwise) and leaving an inviting 1m gap down the inside, which is the safest of the following options:

a) ride down the inside and wait at the lights under the drivers nearside mirror

b) ride down the inside and cross the white line, not crossing the junction but being far enough forward to be visible to the driver

c) ride down the inside and jump the lights

d) wait behind it