New road bike sizing

whereisthurso
whereisthurso Posts: 187
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Post Deleted

Comments

• Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    I'm 6'2" and ride a 19" Commencal Meta 4.2. Got a 58cm Scott Speedster and it feels just about right. I wouldn't get a 55cm as it'll feel very cramped when you're on the drops (probably keep kneeing your elbows).

Best advice though is to borrow one and go for a test ride. It's the only way you'll know how it feels.
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.
  • I could just remedy that by specifying a longer stem couldn't i? Say a 120mm rather than 100mm? Could be wrong
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    I have the new ribble sportive carbon frame in a 52cm (medium) but am only 5' 8''. The 52cm is ok for me, but I reckon I could ride the next size up - a 55cm :shock:

At first I thought that it was a bit cramped, but I dropped down the headset a bit and after a couple of weeks of tinkering around I was more than happy with the 52cm. The riding posistion is quite upright in geometry, and not as racey as you might expect. In fact one of my work mates joked that I had brought a childs bike, as for some reason the frame does look small compared to my 54cm bianchi.

Not much help I know - but if your torn between sizes I would say go up? I don't know if this is good advice or not, but only suggest this on my experience of the new ribble sportive frame. I take it you have looked at the sizing guide on the website - what did that recommend??
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I'm 6'3" and I need at least a 58cm if not 60cm or more frame and I still have a fair chunk of seatpost showing, but then I have a long torso so need the length in the top tube
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Funnily enough i have also been looking at the bianchi via nerone alu/carbon for a similar price to the ribble . Any thoughts on which might be better. I get the feeling the ribble might be better value?
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    whereisthurso? Thurso is next to Dounreay (Reay) and west of Wick - far north of Scotland (lived in Reay for a few years).

No experience of Ribble, but recently I was tempted to order one but decided to avoid after reading horror stories of abysmal service and false delivery promises on this site. After the stories I wouldn't touch them.

Do a good search and decide yourself before ordering.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    With road bikes its the top tube length thats the really important thing.

One point tho, I was told its easier to make a smaller bike fit you correctly then a large one! Can vouch for that...spend years on a Time VXR till I got a small Look and the difference in incredible !

Best try before you buy.

Think Ribble literally just ran out of bikes (getting good reviews and their dam good value for money)...tho yeh have also heard their customer service isn't always great (only heard mind...grape vine and all !)
  • Downwardi
    Downwardi Posts: 132
    I can't answer but I know the answer to your username !

Nice rides up there.
    FCN 8 Hybrid
    FCN 4 Roadie