One leg longer than the other?!

sarajoy
sarajoy Posts: 1,675
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
At least I'm beginning to think so.

When I have trousers slightly too long for me, the bottom of the right leg is always more likely to drag than the left. And now, I'm getting a wee twingey pain in the right side of my groin during and after a period of cycling.

My saddle is straight and I've checked cleat positioning on my shoes. Thinking it may be time to lower my saddle, even though my left side is fine.

Anyone else had anything similar?
4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    My trousers always drag more on one side, I cant remeber which one though.

My legs hurt equally :(
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • sarajoy
    Well I used to think it was because I kept my keys on that side, but tbh it's always been that leg no matter what I've stuffed in my pockets. I wouldn't surprised if I'm actually just wonky.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    sarajoy wrote:
    At least I'm beginning to think so.

When I have trousers slightly too long for me, the bottom of the right leg is always more likely to drag than the left. And now, I'm getting a wee twingey pain in the right side of my groin during and after a period of cycling.

My saddle is straight and I've checked cleat positioning on my shoes. Thinking it may be time to lower my saddle, even though my left side is fine.

Anyone else had anything similar?

Yes. You need to either lower your saddle or get some shims fitted between your cleats and the sole. Best to have this done professionally. I rdoe 40 miles on sat with my saddle just a few mm too high and it murdered my left hip flexor. Amazing what a diff a few mm's can make.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I would think the difference would be very minor between legs if it isn't noticeable in day to day life, so a very small adjustment should be all it takes.

It may even be down to right / left side bias (are you right or left handed?) Have you checked the saddle is dead straight (I know, I know.. but check everything)

You might even find you have a pull tendon and the cycling is highlighting the issue.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • sarajoy
    Right handed, always put my left foot down and stand with my right on the pedal to get the bike going, so that leg probably sees more action anyway. Have checked the saddle for straightness many times!

I'll bring it down a few mm before riding home tonight. The twinge is making me rock my hips a bit on the right hand downstroke instead of stretching out my right leg, so it's probably a good idea anyway.

I noticed it most when I did the full week of cycle-commuting (that did allsorts to me, my body wasn't happy with me for some time after :? ).
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Sarah, are you related to any haggis? As you know, haggi have legs of different lengths so that they can stand up straight in the Highlands.

It sounds to me that you might have ancestors from the west coast.
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    and did you hear thus mentioned haggi originate from England, not scotland, rather amusing for a national dish...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8180791.stm
  • Do you find you walk in circles? If so this would suggest different length legs.

Hope that helps.
    I've forgotten my PIN for the pain barrier.
  • sarajoy
    My grampa used to tell the haggis story except it was about sheep that lived on the Devon hills, because we never holidayed in Scotland...

I do often go in circles but I'm inclined to think that's because I'm easily confused rather than anything to do with my legs.
  • toshmund
    toshmund Posts: 390
    After having tight hamstrings/lower back pain, and seeing the Occupational Health Physio I was measured up for a neoprene insert for my left heel. Think it is quite common, the way she was talking. The heel insert balances out the imbalance in my hips, I don't wear it nowadays in my work boots (more prevalent if you are on your feet for long periods...obviously), because the fitted inner soles are contoured and seem to remedy the problem anyway.

I was getting worried at the fitting, when she got a Thomson Directory out! Finished up at about 8 mm's.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    sarajoy wrote:
    My grampa used to tell the haggis story except it was about sheep that lived on the Devon hills, because we never holidayed in Scotland...

I do often go in circles but I'm inclined to think that's because I'm easily confused rather than anything to do with my legs.

Last time I heard this story it was to do with Yorkshire badgers - however most of us do have slight differences in leg length, foot size etc nothing to worry about but intense exercise if any form ,cycling, running, walking can make it more obvious
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Most people have one leg longer than the other, same with arms and ears at different heighs. A poditrist should be able to help, and can build you some orthotics or insoles to level up your hips.

The thing is, although the goverment like to think we come off a production line, we what is know as 'organic'
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    also have you noticed any difference after perhaps taking a fall??

It could be that your pelvis or hips are slightly out of alignment which could account for any shortening in one leg. worth getting checked even if it's just to rule anything out.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • sarajoy
    I did break a bone in my right foot once. Limped about for ages. Hrm.

Maybe have a look at it some day - have been riding with my saddle a little lower than usual (4-5mm, not much) for the last couple of days and not had the right-groin-pain, so assuming it's still not there after a couple of commutes, I may call "sorted!" on this one for the time being :)