First Post ,2nd Ride ,Worn Out ,Encouragement Required !

rockhopper353
rockhopper353 Posts: 64
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
A warm hello to everyone on the forum, I have been looking through the threads for the last few days and the information on here and the advice given is top notch, hopefully I can be of help sometime in the future.

I purchased a used Focus Variado Expert which I really am impressed with and got my first set of clipless peddles and road shoes, still getting used to them after 2 rides and im not finding it easy clipping in im having a nightmare at junctions etc, they are Look Classics, any advice appreciated.

I used to get plenty of excersice football, etc but not done much for the last couple of years and have put on a bit of pork around the middle, im 6' 2" and just over 14 stone and would like to shed a few pounds.

Well I got back home about an hour ago after my 2nd outing on the bike and im pretty knackered, I have done about 23 miles each time on undulating roads with a couple of steady inclines but no big hills and averaged 16 mph, really struggled on the final mile home today which is a steady rise all the way, is it normal to feel like this when starting out, I need some encouragement to keep me going !!!

Comments

• Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    The best advise I can provide is start small and build up. I started out with 30-45 minute rides and am building that up slowly. Don't break yourself early on. Plus if you've not excercised for a while you've probably given your lungs and heart a bit of a kick up the proverbial, so they need to be reminded on how to work hard.
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.
  • I'd say 16mph is a good avg for now. Mines about 15 at present. With your pedal i'd just lean up against a wall and practice getting in and out of them continuosly for 5 mins or so. Then if you live on a quiet street practice setting off and then stopping and clipping out as if you were at lights for a few mins. The knack is to stay calm and not panic. It could be that your cleats need adjusting a wee bit as they might not be in a "natural " position to just clip in automatically.
    With the tiredness are you drinking throughout your ride ? if not then you need to keep your fluid levels up. Have you had something to eat befoe going out on your ride? Also your unfit so you should expect some degree of tiredness. Just make sure that you have some form of recovery food or drink within half an hour of finishing your ride. It will help you recover properly and help with your muscles following their workout.

Keep at it mate you'll be fine just keep at it and it will get easier. We all have to start somewhere.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    Average mileage always an unreliable indicator, I tend to average less than 16 mph, but then it is always windy (I live on the coast) & terrain & roads (traffic lights etc.) have a major effect.
    But overall pretty good, you're probably going too far, and too fast - plan some shorter rides to build cycling muscle memory, plan some hard, short sessions to build strength, "recovery" rides day after if feeling knackered (REALLY SLOW) and build up to long rides for stamina.
    Another tip - if I'm aiming for a 50 mile + ride, I start off just spinning & rolling along for the first half hour or so & try & restrain the "go for it" urge - danger is you blow & the 2nd half of the ride becomes torture.
    My knees hurt !
  • REF123
    REF123 Posts: 13
    Actually, 16 mph is a good average, especially for someone just starting out, but my advice to you is to not pay so much attention to that for a bit.
    Just build up slowly and try your best to remain hydrated and nourished which are the two most important things in all of this.
    As far as clipping in and out are concerned, expect to fall a few times, mostly when forgetting you are clipped in at an intersection.
    We have all done this and we all have our embarrassing stories.
    At first, maybe, unclip well in advance of an intersection and try to keep from accidentally clipping back in before you stop.
    After awhile, clipping in and out will become second nature and you won’t have to take that precaution.
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    Takis61 wrote:
    Another tip - if I'm aiming for a 50 mile + ride, I start off just spinning & rolling along for the first half hour or so & try & restrain the "go for it" urge - danger is you blow & the 2nd half of the ride becomes torture.

Even after a few years I'm still applying the torture method to myself....
  • Thanks for the encouragement, I probably am going out a bit to fast and flagging towards the end of the ride, I will have to restrain myself in the early stages until I get my body used to things a bit more.

Up to now I am remembering the clipping out part ok, it's rolling the Look pedals over and then trying to clip in im finding a pig, I feel a proper dork messing about with cars sat next to me, more practice I guess.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    To me thats sounds to much to soon. that average is one i would be happy with - and I cycle daily and have done for 20 years !

Just get out and take it easy, focus on enjoyment, and the relaxation benefit - rather than the speed. there is a school of thought that slower cycling burns more fat - and improves yoour cardio more than all out effort. at least at first.

Almost any training regime, will talk of building base fitness - before extreme efforts...

just enjoy it !
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Pfft, just get some good sleep and go out when you fancy.

If you're too tired you won't fancy it so it's all good.

Enjoy it!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Unfortunately, fitness achieved in other sports does not often translate into good cycling legs. However, you will find that you improve dramatically quite quickly as your legs become used to cycling.

Your average speed is pretty respectable, so I'm sure you will be able to go further and faster soon.

For rides of more than 2 hours, you should probably take some energy food with you to keep you going.