Carrying a Pump

Geordie Mick in Wigan
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
try and reduce the chances in first place, armadillo tyres :wink:

Those inflators are great if you only need to use them once and if you get another puncture you're stuffed.
Don't ride faster than your angels can fly........

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    You can get a combined pump and CO2 inflator, slightly larger, but will alow you to achieve "get you home" pressure should you use all the CO2.
    TOPXDFMP.jpg
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706

Those inflators are great if you only need to use them once and if you get another puncture you're stuffed.
    I carry three cartridges in my seatpack, they don't take up much room.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Crank Bros Power Pump - fits in my seat pack and will give you enough pressure to get you home....
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I use a Barbieri Carbone carbon mini pump.
    Works well, very light, looks good and pretty cheap.
    CO2 is OK but often needs a top up anyway.
    Why carry all those cartridges and adaptors when a pump will do it anyway and if its a winters day it will warm you up too.
    Also even if you carry 3 cartridges what happens if you get 3 punctures or if you need to repair the innertube thats punctured your screwed.It is unlikely to happen but its perfectly possible.
  • gtitim
    gtitim Posts: 225
    I agree, I always think about going the CO2 route but I just don't think it's worth it. I'm not going to say I hardly ever get a puncture - because then I will! But invest in some decent tyres. A normal pump will do.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    My combined mini-pump & CO2 works well, only ever had one puncture (well, tube split from improper fitting). I keep the cyclinder inside the axle of my Mega-Exo crank. The pump is there should I run out of CO2.

On my tourer and mtb I just take a big reliable pump, but on my road bike I like the minimalist approach. My tyres (Spesh all conditions pro's) have never punctured (many years and thousands of miles).
  • speedo
    speedo Posts: 115
    Just purchased a Bontrager Air Support ROAD mini pump complete with mounting

bracket fits underneath the bottle cage

EASY TO USE - hardly noticeable on the bike - excellent value for £18

mike vaughan cycles in kenilworth web site shows one
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I have a high pressure frame fit pump which you can't really see when I'm on the bike and holding the bars, as it fits underneath the top tube. Using a frame fit pump avoids bending double to pump up the tyre and takes only a minute or two to get the tyre up to a full 100-120 PSI, rather than the 5+ minutes and rather unsatisfactory results you get with most mini-pumps. The advantage of a frame fit pump over C02 inflators/cartridges is that you can take it on holiday (on a plane) and you can use it for multiple punctures, so you've no need to carry several cartridges/hope you only get one puncture/carry taxi fare...
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Blackburn Airstik in bottle cage mount on best bikes but a full frame fit pump for winter. Far more chance of a puncture then and too cold to be pumping for ever. I can not see it when riding so not worried what it looks like.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I use a Spez mini pump, it fits to the Bottle cage Mounting

I say use, it's hardly used, but there if I need it! :lol:
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Lezyne Road Drive attached to seat tube bottle mountings - it's sexier than my bike!
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989
    +1 for the Lezyne.

It looks the absolute nuts on the bike. The Assos of pumps.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    A mini-pump or frame fit pump looks fantastic on the bike when your in the middle of nowhere 70 miiles from home with a flat trye.Avoids that sinking feeling i always think :roll:
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    leyzne..comes with attachment to water bottle fixings, used once in 12 months and got me home ok
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The spending never stops. Mini pump in back pocket. In my opinion I wouldnt put a pump on a frame, cos think it looks naff, if not used for a while all sorts of crud from the road can get in it and damage it. Road bikes aren't made for clutter, the lines are for beauty and aerodynamics not for cheap plastic brackets which mount off centre.
    Sorry, rant over, just do not mention thumb rings to me either..... :P :P
  • Surf-Matt
    So you rather be stuck out in the sticks with a flat that carry a pump?!

Quick reality check - bikes are not pretty, cycling is not cool. It's a lot of fun but not cool. Doing anything daft like not carrying a pump, not wearing a helmet, etc for the sake of looks is about as sensible as buying a semi in Gaza.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Smokin Joe wrote:

+1
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Smokin Joe wrote:

+1
    I bet you have a carefree ride home after the second puncture. Proper pump, 2 tubes and some patches then relax. Proper pump is a frame pump in winter and a good mini one in summer.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Gotta ask. Who DOESN"T carry something to put air in a tire while out riding????? Just because it doesn't look good??? :roll: :roll: :roll:
    It's sort of like not putting a chain on the bike because it might be greasy.
  • Surf-Matt
    dennisn wrote:
    Gotta ask. Who DOESN"T carry something to put air in a tire while out riding????? Just because it doesn't look good??? :roll: :roll: :roll:
    It's sort of like not putting a chain on the bike because it might be greasy.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Surf Matt, please read and alter.....

Mini pump in back pocket

easy peasy, innit ?
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    For me it`s large lezyne road drive attached to winter bike, it goes nicely with the raceblades, co 2 in saddlebag on summer bike and lezyne pressure drive attached to mountain bike. Sometimes I put that in my pocket when I`m on my road bike but to tempt fate haven`t had a puncture all year on the road.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    I might be a bit wierd but i think the Lezyne's actually look pretty good. especially the road drive (shame I bought the presure drive, though if you put it behind your bottle cage its so tiny it almost disapears
  • Silly question but I bought a pump that attaches to the bottle cage for my first road bike in 15 years, should it go on the bottle cage below the seat or the one on the diagnol bar?

sorry real noob question, but don't want to look naff on first club ride.
  • Takis61
    Takis61 Posts: 239
    Diagonal downtube.
    Disagree with the back pocket idea, tends to be same folks that say don't use a saddle bag, stick it all in the pocket.
    Sure, I don't like the cluttered look, but (a.) who wants to carry 3 tons of gear in your rear pockets (b.) wouldn't like to crash & roll on pumps, tools, levers all in my back pocket.
    My knees hurt !
  • Grazy81
    Grazy81 Posts: 196
    Does anyone have a hand pump that actually reaches the required PSI?
  • morxy
    morxy Posts: 114
    16g Co2 cartridge with Air Chuck SL adapter (ultimate lightweight inflater). Sometimes also carry a Topeak Micro Rocket Carbon pump for emergencies.

Cartridge is 58g. Air Chuck adapter is 21.4g. Micro Pump is 55g and 16cm long.

The pump inflates tyres to 60psi quite easily. Anything above that is very hard work on the arms!
  • Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    Silly question but I bought a pump that attaches to the bottle cage for my first road bike in 15 years, should it go on the bottle cage below the seat or the one on the diagnol bar?

sorry real noob question, but don't want to look naff on first club ride.
    Personal preference. Mine's on the Seat Tube, others have it on the downtube.

Might be from my MTB roots when it was more in the way on the down tube due to being out the saddle more. Or I could be a freak (probably the latter).
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    Grazy81 wrote:
    Does anyone have a hand pump that actually reaches the required PSI?

There are two that a lot use ( well 3 but 2 from the same company ) and they are the Lezyne pressure drive which I have and it got me home after training tonight or the Road drive if you just have a road bike and the Topeak morph's seem to come up a lot.

I have just checked with PSI I did get and it was just under 80psi
  • Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    My mini pump (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=2907) can get to 80 PSI. Makes you sweat from about 60 PSI though.
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.