Any decent routes near South-east London?

missmarple
missmarple Posts: 1,980
edited August 2009 in Routes
Are there any decent mountain biking routes near the South-east London preferably not beyond the M25?

Thanks!

Comments

• Not much in the way of replies eh, MissM? As a former SE London resident (Woolwich & Plumstead) I can only think of Joydens and Bostall woods in my old stamping ground, but I'm not too sure if they would be challenging enough for you. I really think you are going to have to cross the M25 for really good rides

www.londonmtb.com may be able to help
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    around Westerham, Biggin Hill, Keston isn't too bad although theres still not much around in se london.
  • Not much in the way of replies eh, MissM? As a former SE London resident (Woolwich & Plumstead) I can only think of Joydens and Bostall woods in my old stamping ground, but I'm not too sure if they would be challenging enough for you. I really think you are going to have to cross the M25 for really good rides

Tried this link - it's in Canada ! A bit far to go.

I'm an SE London rider and I usually do a loop round Bostall Woods to Erith then back along the river, but it's not what I would call challenging !

North Downs or Cliffe Woods might be a better bet, I'm afraid.
    Orange Sub 5 with lots of bits replaced over the years !

I'm an SE London rider and I usually do a loop round Bostall Woods to Erith then back along the river, but it's not what I would call challenging !

Sorry about that link, I did a google search and didn't open to see what was what......doh!

Blimey - Abbey Wood to Erith, that brings back memories - the ride up Knee Hill on my old Carlton roadie, then along the top of Belvedere, down into Erith and along the bottom road which was very busy and industrial at the time. I bet it's so different now to what I remember. Plumstead, where I'm from is now an awful place.
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • Have you tried Oxleys Woods? I think its far better than Joydens Woods

As Oxleys Woods are the side of Shooters Hill its got a reasionable bit of climbing etc you just have to be aware of all the dogs and the walkers!

Sorry about that link, I did a google search and didn't open to see what was what......doh!

Blimey - Abbey Wood to Erith, that brings back memories - the ride up Knee Hill on my old Carlton roadie, then along the top of Belvedere, down into Erith and along the bottom road which was very busy and industrial at the time. I bet it's so different now to what I remember. Plumstead, where I'm from is now an awful place.

Too many quotes now ! Yes I do a basic loop on Sundays here, but I have a mate down in Worthing (your way now ?) so the South Downs is preferable !

MissM - if you have transport, there are a few routes in Kent I used to do, around Wrotham, Sevenoaks (Near Knowle), and Ightham to name a few. Also if it's your thing, Bedgbury forest is a good blast on purpose - built singletrack, but costs to park there. :?
    Orange Sub 5 with lots of bits replaced over the years !