Best tubs and tub tape/glue for track use??

bianchi_boy
bianchi_boy Posts: 54
edited August 2009 in Track
which tubs (cheaper the better :lol: ) and tub tape or tub cement would you recommend for track use on planet-x alloy rims mainly at calshot and the mountbatten centre in Portsmouth but maybe Newport and Manchester as well.

ta

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Cheap tubs are false economy.

Vittoria do two Pista tubs, either of those would be fine for both indoor and outdoor track use. I'd use Vittoria cement too.
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Just from previous discussions on this subject, if you’re looking for a good compromise tub the Vittoria Pista CS (not the EVO version) is the one for indoor and outdoor use. The EVOs are too light for outdoor use.

Glue these on using Vittoria Mastik One. Some folks will tell you that they ‘get away’ with using tub tape – I have seen riders pulled off the track at Newport in the past for not having glued tubs. Some of the tape is too light in its application to risk rolling a tub and if you use Tufo Extreme tape, it’s an absolute bugger to remove tubs and tape and to clean up each time. With a glue layer, you get to re-use that quite a few times before it needs cleaning.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The last edition of Rouleur mag had an excellent piece on tubular tyres and fitting. All the pros and cons and what the author recommended.
    M.Rushton
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    The track guys around here(not all that many) seem to prefer to glue their track tubulars
    on with some sort of 3M glue. Apparently because it holds like crazy(no tire movment
    at all). However, you will ruin the tire geting it off. Sort of a Catch 22. Tire is on and will not move. Tire is junk when you flat.
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    edited August 2009
    Continental ed: "Tempo " :oops: and continental glue...end of.

Ever tried removing one when it's been glued on for a few weeks, you'll see why track riders prefer to use glue. Also, with a well glued on tubular you've a fair chance of staying upright if you puncture on the track, ie it will not (shouldn't) roll off.
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    suze wrote:
    Continental pista and continental glue...end of.
    Conti doesn't make a tub called the Pista

Re Conti glue - each to their own but I find Conti glue horrible to work with in comparison to Mastik One.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    Eddy S wrote:
    suze wrote:
    Continental pista and continental glue...end of.
    Conti doesn't make a tub called the Pista

Re Conti glue - each to their own but I find Conti glue horrible to work with in comparison to Mastik One.

Ooops!!!!! meant tempo :oops: :lol:
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • alanf
    alanf Posts: 222
    Get Simon Burneys Cyclocross Book. It tells you how to glue on tubs using a combo of glue and Tufo tub tape. I glue mine on like this and you have to remove the tubs with a crowbar, so get them on straight, but they should never roll.
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!
    I like
    DOOOOOOOOOOOOUGHNUTS!!!