Trek v Specialized

jmorgan032
jmorgan032 Posts: 2
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
Hi everyone

The Mrs. and I are just making the switch from mountain bikes to Road bikes and are trying to decide what to buy.

Anyone have an opinion on the Specialized Allez Elite v. Trek 2.3
and the Specialized Allez Sport v. Trek 2.1?

Cheers!

Comments

• sirlylos
    sirlylos Posts: 234
    Are you not even considering the Giant defy 3? A great bike and one not to be overlooked.
    1993 - Ridgeback 301 G3
    1995 - Ridgeback 601 GS
    1997 - Specialized Hardrock
    2003 - Specialized FSR XC
    2008 - Specialized Epic FSR Comp
    2009 - Giant Defy 3
    2010 - Voodoo Wanga
    2012 - Cannondale Supersix 105
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    jmorgan032 wrote:
    Hi everyone

The Mrs. and I are just making the switch from mountain bikes to Road bikes and are trying to decide what to buy.

Anyone have an opinion on the Specialized Allez Elite v. Trek 2.3
    and the Specialized Allez Sport v. Trek 2.1?

Cheers!

I've just got the 2010 Elite yesterday and so far am happy as the proverbial pig.
    Bear in mind if you are going for the 2010 model the spec is mainly Tiagra whilst the Trek 2.3 you are comparing it with is 105 or Ultegra groupset, which is apparantly better spec.

Think I am right in saying The Trek would be considerably dearer than the £799 for the elite...... :?:
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    The equivalent Trek would be the 1.5 at £775 with Tiagra shifters/rear mech and Sora front mech. Let down by having the same frame as the 1.2, when the 2009 1.5 had a better frame but lower grade gearing. I'd wait til the Giant Defy 2.5 or 2 are released personally.
  • chain reaction have got a cube Ariel for £650 now that is a bargain
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=862
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Phixion
    Phixion Posts: 81
    Damn, If I had the cash right now I'd snap up that CUBE Aerial. I love their bikes...
  • Grazy81
    Grazy81 Posts: 196
    I had an allez sport and exchanged for the elite which i would def recommend for the tiagra shifters plus it looks much better too :twisted:

I am very happy with this bike so can recommend this but i have no experience with the trek so i wouldn't like to try and sway you one way or the other. maybe try and get a test ride on them both.
  • sirlylos

RTFQ
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Both of you really should try a number of bikes. Pick the one you like best (even if it comes down to the colour, that's OK). It may not be the obvious contender - what a bike is like to ride is much more than what's on the spec sheet.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.