Follow The Dog rockery

.blitz
.blitz Posts: 6,197
edited August 2009 in Routes
What do you think about the new rock sections on FtD? I must admit it gives the suspension a work out esp. with me on board and I can see someone ripping their mech off on the first bit but otherwise I think it's an entertaining addition. Note to self: keep it tight when riding on to the first boardwalk :twisted:

Nice work to all those involved 8)

Comments

• The Hogester
    The Hogester Posts: 101
    Scared the life out of myself while attempting it on Sunday. The turn at the bottom of the rocks on to the boards caught me out a bit. I am still getting used to riding again though :D
  • .blitz
    The turn at the bottom of the rocks on to the boards caught me out a bit.
    You and me both but we weren't the only ones judging by the number of tyre tracks that disappeared off the edge :lol:
  • BorisSpencer
    BorisSpencer Posts: 786
    Are any of these new bits officially open yet? No mention of them on ChaseTrails.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • The Hogester
    Are any of these new bits officially open yet? No mention of them on ChaseTrails.

Yeah its open, here it is on the blog.

http://chasetrails.blogspot.com/2009/07 ... seway.html
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    I was forewarned that there was new rockery, but I was still surprised - I was expecting one or two rock steps! Fluffed my first attempt slightly leading to the bridge, I still blame the man hiding in the bushes with a camera. Had to go back and do it again properly because one of the trail builder's 10 year old daughter was sailing down it repeatedly!
  • BorisSpencer
    Having now read the Trailbuilders' blog and Mrs Toast's blog is everything now open? but including some new rock and boardwalk features.

I was there a couple of weeks ago and the old boardwalk/skinny was shut, and there was a diversion from the end of section 2, through a ford, to the fireroad climb before section 8.
  • .blitz
    Having now read the Trailbuilders' blog and Mrs Toast's blog is everything now open?
    I went on Monday and wasn't entirely sure if section 7 was open. The 'closed' signs had been pulled down but the 'diversion' signs were still in place. The orange netting at the start of section 7 had been pulled to one side and there was some 'activity' in the forest :shock: but I turned round and followed the diversion anyway.

Take some mudguards if you go, it's like a swamp in places.
  • The Hogester
    .blitz wrote:
    Having now read the Trailbuilders' blog and Mrs Toast's blog is everything now open?
    I went on Monday and wasn't entirely sure if section 7 was open. The 'closed' signs had been pulled down but the 'diversion' signs were still in place. The orange netting at the start of section 7 had been pulled to one side and there was some 'activity' in the forest :shock: but I turned round and followed the diversion anyway.

Take some mudguards if you go, it's like a swamp in places.

It was really muddy on Sunday :shock:
  • BorisSpencer
    Looks like another trip will have to be arranged.
    I did FTD in a monsoon a few weeks ago and didn't find it very muddy, more wet sand and grit, very tough on drivetrain and brake pads.
  • Mrs Toast
    Section 7 is still closed, and will be for a while due to a combination of the weather and people riding the partly repaired/rebuilt trail. Obviously riding trails before they're ready is bad at the best of times, but is even worse when it's a bit damp...

Unfortunately people keep tearing the fencing down and riding it, because they're arseholes. This ends up encouraging more and more people to ride it, to the point where the signs and fencing informing of the closure get so damaged people aren't sure if it's open or not. :/

So again, I'd implore people not to ride closed trails - it just means that sections remain closed for longer, and time and resources are diverted away from installing awesome new features (like rocks!) and building the new trail. :(

Which reminds me, trailbuilding propaganda time - if people would like to help with the trails, there's trailbuilding/maintenance every Sunday from 10am, meeting at Swinnertons. Even the odd half an hour would be appreciated.

There are also Big Build Days which focus on the new trail (Phase II) that's being built, which normally has a BBQ and FABULOUS PRIZES! Next one is August 16th. It's a good chance to contribute to the trail, and see what's being planned - if you like the rockery on FtD, you'll like Phase II! :P
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    you got rocks on FTD now? intersting has that added any range to the loop?

and can someone stuff a couple pics up so i can see?
  • .blitz
    edited July 2009
    you got rocks on FTD now? intersting has that added any range to the loop?
    Allegedly the main reason for the rocks is to avoid MTB/pedestrian carnage where FtD crosses over the Heritage Trail, but they're still a welcome addition.
    and can someone stuff a couple pics up so i can see?
    Chase Trails blog
    &
    Mrs.Toast's blog
    The pictures don't do them justice. They are much bigger, gnarlier and burlier in real life :wink:
  • Thewaylander
    Ah i know the type, very much like the rock paths in CYB on MBR and ex Red bull.. won't worry to much for a visit for a while then till i see phase 2. :) cheers for the info Blitz
  • Mrs Toast
    Phase II should be more on par difficulty-wise with other reds, plus has black optional features and sections.

Moar rocks!

IMG_0102%2B(Small).jpg

The rocks on Follow the Dog only make up a very small part of the trail, but they’re very welcome!
  • Thewaylander
    true, my only worry to the further advancment is the lack of any true alltitude in the area of the trail. there is only so much technical you can chuck at it before it just becomes an effort to slog and pedal through.

My critism of the trail when i was there was it tried to pack in two many twists and turns to make the most of the hills it had, and this stopped the flow of the trail for for me.

Still i did think people were trying to make the best of what they had to work with, and respect to that but it did make me feel very lyucky to live where i do.
  • Fully
    Fully Posts: 257
    You are blessed to have those S.Wales hills on your doorstep.

The trailbuilders at Cannock have done a great job with the lack of elevation up there.

I think Cannock flows quite well, some of the sections are short, granted, but there is only 200m of elevation change at an absolute max over the Chase (And that is probably at opposite ends of the area).

Also, if you only rode FTD, then you were missing all of the best bits imo. FTD is an intro to the Chase at best. A lot of the other trails are located in much steeper terrain with bigger elevation changes, harder climbs and bigger rewards.

I'm just disappointed that phase 2 won't be finished for my only visit back to the UK this year :cry: .
    Forget your heart, it's your bank i wanna break, it's just yer money i'm after baby...

A Few Pics
  • mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    I did FTC yesterday for the first time. It's not bad, certainly better than anything Thetford or Sherwood has, but not sure I'd travel the 2 hrs that often. Having read this thread a few days ago, I was hoping to perhaps recreate a little bit of what I'd experienced at Coed y Brenin last year.

I think the rockery, albeit short, is a good start. Not too difficult, good to see some step ups; I agree that the wrong line could take out your rear mech if you are unlucky, but actually mine got bashed towards the end of the route on one of the badly eroded sections.
    Elsewhere, at the end of the switchback climb (section 26?) there's a little log-based drop that takes you unawares and has certainly grounded a few chainrings in the past - add mine to the list.

I spotted a photographer ready to pounce before the boardwalk on my way back - perhaps the boards are a little too wide to make it a challenge - feel free to ignore me.

All in all a nice challenge if you push the pace a bit and perfectly doable with a hardtail. A couple of the later sections need reinforcing but I'm sure thats in the plans. Well done to the trailbuilders, I'll certainly return to see the finished article.
  • mbrfan
    mbrfan Posts: 239
    Sorry for the typo - FTD
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Did FTD on saturday for the first time, had a good time. The rocks were fine the first time, but the second I took the entance too sharply and scratched the hell out of my new Deore mech :( Oh well had to happen sometime :P

I bombed quite badly at the end of the boardwalk after the rocks on my second run and bent my handlebars which was the end of my 'red route' cycling for the day. The bike is back in working order now with shiney new easton bars so will be building up to another trip soon.

I am contemplating putting suspension forks back on the bike as some of FTD was a little too harsh for my rigid bike. Was a brilliant workout for my upper body though :D What do you guys think? should I get suspension?

I was able to keep up with my brother and his mate on the downhills who both have suspension and go to the gym regularly, which I am very chuffed about :D though I was failing on the fireroad ascents badly.
  • .blitz
    Kiblams wrote:
    The rocks were fine the first time, but the second I took the entance too sharply and scratched the hell out of my new Deore mech
    Ah the 'Stegosaurus' claims another victim :twisted: Allegedly there are more rocks on the way and apart from segregating walkers and MTBrs, the rocks are there to let you know that FtD is gonna be a hardcore red make no mistake. We shall see...
    Kiblams wrote:
    I bombed quite badly at the end of the boardwalk after the rocks on my second run and bent my handlebars which was the end of my 'red route' cycling for the day.
    Not the first and I'm sure you won't be the last. At least the swamp is soft :) There have been some requests for chicken wire on the start of the boardwalk but allegedly 'it's not that slippy' although the tyre tracks going off the right-hand side would seem to indicate otherwise :wink:
    Kiblams wrote:
    I am contemplating putting suspension forks back on the bike as some of FTD was a little too harsh for my rigid bike. What do you guys think?
    I've been round a few times on my 50mm-travel Proflex and it takes my fillings out. The recent bad weather has really chewed it up and although FtD doesn't need a long-travel bike, a bit of suspension always helps.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    .blitz wrote:
    There have been some requests for chicken wire on the start of the boardwalk but allegedly 'it's not that slippy' although the tyre tracks going off the right-hand side would seem to indicate otherwise :wink :

It was drenched on Saturday and I had no issues with slippage either at the end of the rocks or the boardwalk, though there were skid marks on the exit of the rocks that others had made.

Was looking forward to the second boardwalk but it was closed off, though I am sure that I read on the forum that it was all open before going :(
  • .blitz
    Kiblams wrote:
    Was looking forward to the second boardwalk but it was closed off, though I am sure that I read on the forum that it was all open before going :(
    No mate section 7 is closed at the moment Lakes and Snakes
  • Fingers crossed i'll be going to the chase in the next few days. Cant wait for a blast during the week, should be quieter i hope.
  • .blitz
    Fingers crossed i'll be going to the chase in the next few days. Cant wait for a blast during the week, should be quieter i hope.
    The weather forecast :roll: is good for the end of the week. Forgot to say that the start of section 12 is also closed but it's only a short diversion.
  • .blitz wrote:
    Fingers crossed i'll be going to the chase in the next few days. Cant wait for a blast during the week, should be quieter i hope.
    The weather forecast :roll: is good for the end of the week. Forgot to say that the start of section 12 is also closed but it's only a short diversion.

I'll go even if the weathers crap, i'm not having a week off work without riding :D
  • Went up yesterday and the weather was great, although i still managed to get muddy. There was lots of filthy puddles everywhere. I took on the rocks and failed again, i still cant get the hang of the entrance to that section as well as the ending of the previous section.

Good fun though, and i got myself some nice new kit from the shop too :D
  • Mrs Toast
    Went up yesterday and the weather was great, although i still managed to get muddy. There was lots of filthy puddles everywhere. I took on the rocks and failed again, i still cant get the hang of the entrance to that section as well as the ending of the previous section.

Meh, had a really bad day today - no confidence at all. I managed to clip my handlebars on a tree and came off on the first section, it was all downhill from there! :P Tried to do the rock exit something like 15 times, but I bottled it everytime. I can do the entrance into the next section, and the rocks after that, it's just those first set of rocks. :s
  • Mrs Toast wrote:
    Went up yesterday and the weather was great, although i still managed to get muddy. There was lots of filthy puddles everywhere. I took on the rocks and failed again, i still cant get the hang of the entrance to that section as well as the ending of the previous section.

Meh, had a really bad day today - no confidence at all. I managed to clip my handlebars on a tree and came off on the first section, it was all downhill from there! :P Tried to do the rock exit something like 15 times, but I bottled it everytime. I can do the entrance into the next section, and the rocks after that, it's just those first set of rocks. :s

The rocks at the exit just look so narrow as im riding towards them, and i convince myself i cant make it. I'll have to keep trying them. I just don't have the confidence in my riding yet.
  • .blitz
    Did a bit of exploring over the SEA yesterday. Things are happening :D

I just wondered if there was a map or something showing where Phase II is going to go? Down the Monkey, along the bottom and back up the valley? Or have I got it completely wrong :oops:
  • Mrs Toast
    .blitz wrote:
    Did a bit of exploring over the SEA yesterday. Things are happening :D

I just wondered if there was a map or something showing where Phase II is going to go? Down the Monkey, along the bottom and back up the valley? Or have I got it completely wrong :oops:

HAW HAW! You have left yourself open for TRAIL BUILDING PROPAGANDA!

3785844865_877d8cf32d.jpg

Come along to the Big Build Day and have all of your Phase II queries answered! Get the latest scoop on trail development! Win fabulous prizes and snaffle a magnificent feast! See lizards!*

* Lizards not guaranteed, did see some little 'uns on Saturday though.