Getting Back to Commuting After Holiday

Wallace1492
Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Just back from holiday in France, took the bikes on the back of the car and did a lot of day cycling, averaged about 20 miles per day which was not bad considering it was not really a "cycling" holiday. Some superb climbs in the Tarn Gorge area, and around all sorts of wine country.

The main disaster was that I put a bike lock through the bike carrier and bikes on the back of the car, then I think i left the keys on top of the car as we headed off on a long drive from Arromarche to Quiberon. Lost lock key, locker at work key and garage key. Stupidly did not have spare lock key and with much hilarity from my mates had to spend half an hour chopping through the cable with a Gerber tool. Expected the keys to turn up still though as a lot of things got "lost" in the back of the car.

Hopefully back to the commute from tomorrow, but as I cant remember what I have in my locker at work, and now have lost the key for it (though there is a spare somewhere...), may have to leave till Thursday.

Still, the good news is that I now want a better bike for bigger runs, considering a Kona Jake the Snake as I can get a good discount from Wheelies.com[/list][/url]
"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    A better bike with lots of spare lock keys in various places then :)
  • Wallace1492
    Got a new lock from a Decathalon shop - superb sports shops in France, and a few now in England, though none yet up here in Haggisland yet. Gave spare key to mate and made sure after that there was never a problem, the thought of hacking through another lock was quite an incentive!
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Hmm not bad but what happens if you lose yours and he's not available?
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I had a similar experience in Wales. Took the bikes off the car and locked them with a big cable lock, securely in the storage shed of the bunkhouse, only to immediately realise that I'd left the keys at home :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nearly an hour and two hacksaw blades later we had the bikes back :oops:

You only ever do it once.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Wallace1492
    Well, giving him it was just for the holiday, I have it back now and will plank in an accessable place, but was a valuable lesson, I am usually good with keys. The other unfortunate thing was that on the back up through France, my chainwheel came in contact with his front tyre.... real shame!!