So will all this new kit make me a better rider??

pedrojake
pedrojake Posts: 229
edited August 2009 in Road beginners
After much anticipation, the new toy and accessories have arrived!
The Spesh 2010 Allez Elite with Wireless Cadence comp, Shimano 105 ped’s, the Spesh Elite shoes, Team spesh Replica l/s jersey and bib shorts (yup, look like I crashed into the Specialized Shop Window)
First Impressions…..

Start with the pedal and shoes, since getting back in the saddle about 20 months ago ive used standard pedals and toe clips, as always had a fear of clipless having heard a few horror stories such as keeling over at traffic lights! So after much testing sitting on the bike leaning against the side of the house, took the plunge and went for a quick spin round the block. Well flip me, what have I been missing out on! Clipless just seems considerably effortless compared to what I have been used to. :D

Shoes; bizarrely normal size 8, trainers would be a 9, but had to g for a 10 in the Spesh?? Having looked at shoes for a while my main concern has been they always looked so damn uncomfortable. How wrong was I, fit like slippers and click in so simply with the pedals, definitely so much better than heading out for a 30 mile blast in the Nike running shoes.

Havent had a chance (or maybe the nerve!) to try on the clothing, but am assuming the bib shorts and Jersey will be better on the rear than the JJB specials I am used to.

So, to the bike then. Well its certainly red and shiny! Very red in fact. My first thoughts had been to look at a Boardman for the spec and cosmetically but having read a few posts here on the Halfords service etc, preferred to go with the LBS and left me with the choice in my price range of the 09 Giant or the 2010 Elite. Chose the Elite and as mentioned the colour will take a bit of getting used to. Initial thoights are the White saddle wont stay white for long, and white bar tape is ridiculous and will have to be replaced in no time at all. The ride itself, well the only comparison I have is the Raleigh Airlite 100 Ive been on. I’ve so far only been a couple of miles round the block, but first impressions are just how smooth the thing is! Gear changing, Im now starting to think that the AIRLITE was never set up correctly to start with, cause the difference between SORA and Tiagra is staggering, Times I was having to look down to make sure it actually had changed gear, whilst beforehand people in the houses I was passing heard the clunk of the change. It will take a bit of getting used to not having to us the thumb for the switch. The Carbon forks seem to sponge the bumps a bit but will be interested to see how this impacts over a longer run and brakes stop the thing on a sixpence. Have to say I am impressed so far though.

So will all this new kit make me a better rider…… Probably Not!

Will it encourage me to get out a lot more ………….Definitley.

And will getting out a lot more and getting a load more miles under the belt, joining a club and entering a few sportives when I feel up to that level improve my cycling….. Hopefully!

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Yes - it will make you a better rider. There is a definite relationship between money spent and improvement in cycling! (To a point, of course).

Congrats on all the new kit - and get out there riding!
  • Course you will. The better you look the more confident you will feel and this will improve performance. My new top came from Edinburgh cycles today I expect to go at least 1mph better on my avg cos of it. Why? Cos I look dam good in it thats why :wink:
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • I finally took the full lycra plunge and went out last night, was well over 3 MPH faster than my usual.

Nothing to do with the fact my dinner was nearly ready and I only did half the miles I usually do........
  • Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    Course you will. The better you look the more confident you will feel and this will improve performance. My new top came from Edinburgh cycles today I expect to go at least 1mph better on my avg cos of it. Why? Cos I look dam good in it thats why :wink:
    Darn, should have got an Edinburgh Cycles jersey. My Bbox jersey only made me 0.7MPH better (but over a longer distance, so it may have balanced out).
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.
  • Woodchip wrote:
    Course you will. The better you look the more confident you will feel and this will improve performance. My new top came from Edinburgh cycles today I expect to go at least 1mph better on my avg cos of it. Why? Cos I look dam good in it thats why :wink:
    Darn, should have got an Edinburgh Cycles jersey. My Bbox jersey only made me 0.7MPH better (but over a longer distance, so it may have balanced out).

It's all in the colour scheme. Its a well known fact that the combination of green, black, white and red give you asn extra 1mph on average. you are obviously missing at least one or more of those colours. The colours blue, orange and yellow garauntee to lose you at least 0.2mph per colour.
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • Woodchip
    Woodchip Posts: 205
    Woodchip wrote:

It's all in the colour scheme. Its a well known fact that the combination of green, black, white and red give you asn extra 1mph on average. you are obviously missing at least one or more of those colours. The colours blue, orange and yellow garauntee to lose you at least 0.2mph per colour.
    So if I get green shorts, red shoes and black socks I should see more benefit.

Do I have a slower starting point though as I have orange hair?
    I have nothing more to say on the matter.
  • Woodchip wrote:
    Woodchip wrote:

So if I get green shorts, red shoes and black socks I should see more benefit.

Do I have a slower starting point though as I have orange hair?

Most definately the miles will zoom by. Hair colour however makes no difference we live in a mulitcolourable society whichdoesn't discriminate against hair colour. Unless you get you hair dyed green in which case you gain an extra 2mph.
  • And dont wear yellow or pink! Surely everyone knows that the leader of the TDF is forced to wear this ungoldly colour in an attempt to slow the rider down to increase competition.

The Italians do this similarly with a pink jersey. This does not seemingly affect the rider immediately, but it has far more damaging consequences for the whole of TDF.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    And dont wear yellow or pink! Surely everyone knows that the leader of the TDF is forced to wear this ungoldly colour in an attempt to slow the rider down to increase competition.

The Italians do this similarly with a pink jersey. This does not seemingly affect the rider immediately, but it has far more damaging consequences for the whole of TDF.

actually the one I steer clear of is the polka dot jersey. NOT one thing more ridiculous then a fat man on a bike wearing a climbers jersey. :?
  • Bugly wrote:
    actually the one I steer clear of is the polka dot jersey. NOT one thing more ridiculous then a fat man on a bike wearing a climbers jersey. :?

Really?

Worste jersey ever discussion:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15506262
  • alex16zx
    alex16zx Posts: 153
    Don't worry about keeling over while clipped in. It will happen sometime! Mine wasn't til my 3rd ride with them, but if I can give you some advice - do as I did and fall into a soft hedge/verge, with noone around. Then you can just wash grass stains off and pretend it never happened :D
  • screebs
    screebs Posts: 178
    alex16zx wrote:
    Don't worry about keeling over while clipped in. It will happen sometime! Mine wasn't til my 3rd ride with them, but if I can give you some advice - do as I did and fall into a soft hedge/verge, with noone around. Then you can just wash grass stains off and pretend it never happened :D

I opted for the traffic lights at a busy junction with a driver pulling up next to me - to be fair, i was laughing as i hit the ground thinking about how stupid i looked!
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • mikeq
    mikeq Posts: 141
    I fell off moving away from lights, out the saddle, and the chain snapped. :oops:
    Cycling from Glasgow to Paris to raise funds for Asthma UK

www.velochallenge.org