Best place to take girlfriend?

2»

Comments

• lynseyf
    lynseyf Posts: 47
    Weekend in Edinburgh with a day trip to Glentress?

The blue is really fun and the red isn't too hard, nothing you can't roll over. Its possible to mix and match them as well so you could do one section of the red and if she didn't like it go back to the blue. There are also some nice skills loops, rated green, blue and red, which you can easily spend a few hours on.

The red was my first ever mtb ride and I loved it even though I'm GASP...... A GIRL!!!!!!!
  • lynseyf wrote:
    Weekend in Edinburgh with a day trip to Glentress?

The blue is really fun and the red isn't too hard, nothing you can't roll over. Its possible to mix and match them as well so you could do one section of the red and if she didn't like it go back to the blue. There are also some nice skills loops, rated green, blue and red, which you can easily spend a few hours on.

The red was my first ever mtb ride and I loved it even though I'm GASP...... A GIRL!!!!!!!

Thats not a bad idea! May try that in the future though, as were much closer to Wales. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • easyg
    easyg Posts: 266
    Hogester - So we went to Sherwood Pines on Sunday (yesterday). We had a great start - We forgot to take any money with us, so parking for a fee of £3 was the first obstacle we had to overcome and with no trail in sight!

We started on the blue route after leaving a very friendly, and family orientated, visitor centre - Because it is a very good place for other activities it is pretty popular and thus has a nice atmosphere we thought. It was pleasant and once my girlfriend had started to figure out the gears on her new bike she started to have some fun. In fact, it was only a couple of miles before she decided she wanted to get on the red! I know boys, what a goddess!

So we basically picked up the red near its starting point and got on with it. She did really, really well and actually said she enjoyed the red more because it was more involving and exciting. As reds go it isn't too technical, and there was only a couple of spots where she decided to get off and push the bike. These were downhill bits that were steeper than the average slope; Funnily enough, she loved the uphills!

Anyway, I would recommend this place for you and your girl as it has interested mine - she wants to know where we are going next weekend, so, so far, so good. I know boys, what a goddess!! The only thing that was a bit cr4ppy was the rain the day before which made parts of the trail virtually unridable due to it being deep, constant, thick mud, which on tight singletrack through dense and thus dark pine forest is a bit of a ball ache.

Let me know if you go, and also about that other place you were going to check out.

Easy.
    "If you think straight enough, you can see round corners"
  • That sounds ideal mate, thanks for reporting back. I feel were providing a service for all the blokes with new to riding girlfriends :lol:
  • Hi Hogester,

Looks like i beat you to it!!

Took the missus to Delamere last week and she was bored stupid, so we got in the car yesterday and took a trip down to Llandegla.

You will not go wrong going on this trail. It does everythjing right for beginner riders.
    Nice atmosphere around the Cafe/Shop. Good selection of food and drink including a BBQ (which may only be on at weekends).

We set of on the blue route which covers about 7-8 miles.
    The first 3-4 miles is basically climbing but its not too steep and a lot of it is farily windy and therefore interesting. I find climbing is easier when you have to waeve a path through uneven sections rather than tackling a long straight boring hill when all you can think about is knackered legs and lungs.
    One word of warning..... right at the very top of the climb before the route splits for red/blue there is a large Berm and the 2nd half of it is very bumpy. There is nothing like that leading up to it so be prepared.

From the top though the rest is pretty much downhill and its a hoot. Plenty of jump opportunities to keep you interested and your girl will love the speed and will hopefully tackle some of the berms head on.

If we had the time, we agreed we would have had a go at the red route, but we will have to wait till next weekend.
    Its the first time ive seen my missus really enthused about MTBiking. She was really buzzing for the rest of the day and night and planning our next trip.

If you decide to make a weekend of it, they offer courses to teach basic or specific skills.
    Me and the missus thought it would be nice to do the Blue route in the morning, have a lesson in the afternoon than come back the day after to tackle the red.

Good luck with it all!
    Surely this weekend away must be fast approaching now, whens the trip planned?

jon
  • Thanks for that mate, Llandegla sounds ideal! Theres no trip planned as of yet. Me getting back in to biking has come at a bit of a tight money time, so im just going to have to hang fire for now. My gf is very much up for it though, so i cant wait :D