Team Sky will be riding...

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Who knows, but it might be a one of these
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    you can take a quick bet that they will be bikes available from Halfords and have the name of a former hour record holder on them
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It looks more likely it'll be a big name - Giant is what the article indicates as the favourite.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I doubt Boardman have the type of money available to sponsor a Pro Tour team. It's not cheap, as the article Iain links to indicates.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited July 2009
    andyp wrote:
    I doubt Boardman have the type of money available to sponsor a Pro Tour team. It's not cheap, as the article Iain links to indicates.

Plus Boardman don't really do a broad enough range of bikes to suit a Pro Team. Their technology isn't exactly cutting edge - and do they even do a TT bike? (Edit - yes they do)

Or are Boardman just another re-badge of Giant anyway?
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    do they even do a TT bike

Sounds like they need more advertising.......
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Sounds like they need more advertising.......
    Maybe they should link up with a pro team? :wink:
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    I really like the look of their TT bike http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_AiR_TT.html
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I clicked through on to the Pinarello website and nearly LOLed myself to death (literally) at their customer testimonial:

"Incredible. A river of completely new feelings is lived on the Prince, feelings that literally ignite a demanding cyclist: the handling is extraordinary on high speed curves, tremendously explosive on violent accelerations and then when you get to know it the pedals seem to spin as if driven by a motor putting all the power from your legs to the pavement."

:mrgreen:
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Pokerface wrote:
    Plus Boardman don't really do a broad enough range of bikes to suit a Pro Team. Their technology isn't exactly cutting edge - and do they even do a TT bike? (Edit - yes they do)

To be fair the technology was good enough for Nicole Cooke to win world and Olympic titles on a Boardman.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The guys at Specialized are pretty convinced that their deal was done...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited July 2009
    Maybe posting that bike was a last throw of the dice from Pinarello to steer the deal their way. Or shift stock before an official announcement.
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Would be great if a British team went for something with a bit of soul like a Pinarello. SO typical if they go for something like a Giant though. Britishness can be so dull sometimes.(In terms of their cycle equip choices NOT the cyclists themselves - who, frankly, ROCK :) )
    Mens agitat molem
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Pokerface wrote:

To be fair the technology was good enough for Nicole Cooke to win world and Olympic titles on a Boardman.

Yeah TBF the pro race prepared looks pretty decent to me.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    edited August 2009
    bazbadger wrote:
    Would be great if a British team went for something with a bit of soul like a Pinarello. SO typical if they go for something like a Giant though. Britishness can be so dull sometimes.(In terms of their cycle equip choices NOT the cyclists themselves - who, frankly, ROCK :) )
    If I were a professional cyclist, i'd want to ride the bike that wasted as little of my precious energy as possible and bollox to "soul" whatever that means. What is it that gives a Pinarrelo more soul than, say, a Giant apart from curvy bits? Is that soul?

Presumably they'll get sponsored by a big manufacturer than build their own like they did for the track. Those black track bikes were gorgeous.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think they should ride Mercians.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Do they still make Raleighs? They should ride them. A classic British brand.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    If I were a professional cyclist, i'd want to ride the bike that wasted as little of my precious energy as possible and bollox to "soul" whatever that means. What is it that gives a Pinarrelo more soul than, say, a Giant apart from curvy bits? Is that soul?

Yeah, that's true. That's why you don't see CAMPAG winning serious, big boy races... :wink:
    Mens agitat molem
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    AndyRubio wrote:
    bazbadger wrote:

Presumably they'll get sponsored by a big manufactuerer than build their own like they did for the track. Those black track bikes were gorgeous.

You don't realise what soul is, do you? It means the carbon fibre is handwoven to the same recipe Grampa Guiseppe was using a hundred years ago...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    bazbadger wrote:

The history, attention to detail. beauty, the way it handles, weight and overall feel... Give me a Pinerello over a Giant any day....
    www.dotcycling.com
  • prawny
    Prince frames are still made in taiwan! :P

*runs and hides*
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RichN95 wrote:
    Do they still make Raleighs? They should ride them. A classic British brand.

They do, pretty damn good too by all accounts.
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    prawny wrote:

*runs and hides*
    correct ...but they are finished in treviso.. Believe it or not, Taiwanese carbon technology is amongst the best in the world.
    www.dotcycling.com
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    I still remember when "bet it was Made in Japan" was often used to decry the quality of an item, until it was reaised their quality was ten times that of products emanating from the UK.
  • Unsheath
    Unsheath Posts: 49
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I think they should ride Mercians.

I was thinking Hetchins. Bring back those curly stays! Now, thats somthing with soul. :lol:
  • prawny
    emadden wrote:
    prawny wrote:

*runs and hides*
    correct ...but they are finished in treviso.. Believe it or not, Taiwanese carbon technology is amongst the best in the world.

I agree, aren't all monocoque(sp?) frames made in taiwan because they're the only people who can do it properly?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    prawny wrote:

*runs and hides*

I agree, aren't all monocoque(sp?) frames made in taiwan because they're the only people who can do it properly?

Orbea still made in Spain (mainly on the plain)
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    The history, attention to detail. beauty, the way it handles, weight and overall feel... Give me a Pinerello over a Giant any day....
    Yep no doubt about that
  • Dave Brailsford was riding a Pinnarello yesterday in Manchester - coincidence?
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    prawny wrote:

my Isaac is made in Germany. They seem to know what they are doing :lol:
  • I was hoping they'd ride Dolans given the long time involvement with Terry Dolan and the track team.

It won't happen though - Dolan couldn't support the cost.