Specialized Tricross - Bags etc for first tour

Stuww
Stuww Posts: 203
edited August 2009 in Tour & expedition
My first visit to the Tour and Expedition forum, I usually frequent the commuting forum!

I'm planning on going on my first bike tour, well I say first, I did actually ride to Israel in the 80s on a Muddy Fox Courier, but I digress.

This trip will probably be a week along the coast from Exmouth and into Dorset and back...

I'll be using my trusty Specialized Tricross commuter with guards and a rear rack.

I have some cheap Altura rear panniers that are on there last legs so I may upgrade those with this trip in mind, what do folks recommend, Ortleib seem to get a mention quite regularly.

I will also need a handlebar bag, will one fit on my Specialized as it has sissy brakes, I could get the lbs to remove them if needs be.

I'm off to read through this forum but any tips on kit for my trip would be grateful.

I will be camping so I will need a small tent and sleeping bag.

Also does anyone have a link to a basic cycle tourists kit list!

Sorry about all the questions, hope you can help.

Stu

Comments

• tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Welcome to the tour side Stuww!

Your tricross sport should be fine. BUT I went from edinburgh to thurso on mine (six days with a lot of hills in :shock: ) so you should be fine! I will now ramble about MY tricross touring experience - it is the 2008 one, I think it is pretty similar to the 09 (and possibly 07)...

The gear range should do you, I only hit one hill that I was into the lowest gear on. If it's your regular bike, I'd say get a basic service at least, and possibly after - I didn't bother and had trouble with a very stretched chain after I got home.

Bags! I did okay with front and back panniers, and a big Altura Fusion saddle bag. BUT although the front forks are drilled to fit a rack, it's not the 'custom low rider' style hole-all-the-way-through type. You might want the axle fitting kind, or just the blackburn normal front pannier type. I had to do a bodge job with plastic cable ties with mine, but I just had clothes in them so it was okay. Oh and a regular blackburn expedition rack on the back, with two huge ass old vaude panniers.

Bar bag - I reckon you CAN have one - I have bought (but not fitted) an Altura Fusion bar bag for my bike. The basic mounting thing needs wider attachment loops for the tricross fat bars, but these cost £2.50 (I bought mine already). If you have problems with the cables from the bar-levers for the brakes, you can get a mount extender - this a fiver I think

Oh, and tents? I have a cheapola 2 person Vango tent. Not the lightest but with room! NEVER share a tent when your touring if there is any possible way of avoiding it. Also, in a serious crunch you can fit the bike inside the 2 person tent...
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Oh, and your old altura panniers? They will be fine! Use plastic bags or nice drybags - a new set of ortliebs (which are sooooo wonderful) are pretty expensive!
  • Stuww
    Thanks for those tips Tardington, very kind...
  • Stuww
    I got my LBS to remove the sissy brakes and I bought a Topeak bar bag http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/TourGuideHandlebarBag .

It fits fine, the gear cables from the STI's do get pushed out of the way a bit, but it doesn't seem to effect gear changes.

Tardington, am I right in thinking that one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/LifeLine_Alloy_Front_Rack/5360033788/ won't work?

Cheers

Stu