Wet weather tyre thoughts

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
I've been using the Panracer Crosstowns for about 6 months and they're been pretty good so far. Had my first puncture with them today (didnt realise until a minute ago, some 5 hours after getting home). Before that I had the bontrager racelites and never had an issue with tearing over broken glass if I had to, and I ended up over glass a lot more then than I have with the Panracers. Though the racelites were naff if it rained - no grip and I'd have to slow right down.

So what do you guys cope with on really wet days? Not a big fan of marathons tbh.

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Conti Grand Prix 4 Seasons on the commuter fixie...but at £30 a pop they should be good, and are..........
  • I'll watch this thread with interest...

I've just got a Boardman Hybrid with 700x28c Maxxis Detonators on. Did my first wet commute in London this week and very nearly squashed a fellow cyclist as I slid in a sideways breathless fashion towards him.

It could be that I'm used to a MTB with 26x1.9 Continental Double Fighter 2's on, or it could just be that I'm a rubbish noob.
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • Durbat
    Durbat Posts: 7
    After dropping my Trek hard in the rain the other day and buggering my hip (went down so fast I was still holding the hoods when I hit the tarmac) I'm looking to replace the original Bontrager boots with some thing a bit stickier.
  • downfader
    Cheers for the replies! I shall look up those Contis. :)
  • +1 for the Conti GP 4 seasons. Good all year round, only wish they didn't have those rather odd brown colour walls that Conti seems to add randomly on various models.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    IRC, the Michelin Krylion Carbons I peviously used were pretty good, and better than the Gatorskins.

They stick to the road really well. My only complaint with them was that they cut up a lot more than Gatorsins.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • doog442
    doog442 Posts: 370
    ive got 25mm bontrager race lites..about 1500 miles on them and although a bit shredded on the outside, took them off today as a bit of strip down and nothing had infilitrated the kevlar belt

never had an issue with them in the wet and running them at between 100-120 psi..
  • downfader
    doog442 wrote:
    ive got 25mm bontrager race lites..about 1500 miles on them and although a bit shredded on the outside, took them off today as a bit of strip down and nothing had infilitrated the kevlar belt

never had an issue with them in the wet and running them at between 100-120 psi..

I liked mine, though they were labled as 23 iirc. Feel like something different now though.

..although stripped down the wheel to remove the inner tube today after my puncture and found no penetration through the tyre. Plenty of outward scars as you and I have seen on the race lites, but the crosstowns were baby-bottom smooth on the inside.. no wait, that came out wrong :lol::lol:

It turns out me valve had failed near the seal at the base.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Krylions are awesome, I've just ordered my second set but Yellow this time, the thread was showing through on my rear tyre, they have allot of miles, over 4000 and througout there life not one puncture, I've had the GP4000 and GP4000S tyres and tbh I think the Krylions are just as good if not better in terms of speed and everything really, great tyres and pretty good price they are 20 quid each at the moment on CRC.

When I first got them I thought I had a puncture as the tyre went down, but I checked the tube and nothing wrong :s, put it back in, inflated, was fine...