Ryanair: taking bike - weight limit?

kaiserpc
kaiserpc Posts: 22
edited August 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

I'm off to France next week with my bike (going up Mt Ventoux), I'm flying with Ryanair (from Edinburgh to Marseille). I can't find anything on Ryanair's website about weight limits for sporting equipment (I've already paid the £30 each way for them to carry my bike).

Does anyone know if they have a weight limit on bike bags? They state that checked baggage i.e. a suit case has a limit of 15kg (and then they charge £14 extra per kilo!!!), but there is no mention of a limit on sports equipment.

I don't want to get to the airport and they charge me an extra fortune on weight limit grounds. I'm not taking any other hold luggage with me (as they chrage £20 per bag) - so I'm hoping to stuff some of my stuff in the bike bag, and carry the rest as hand luggage.

getting nervous now that they will charge me, thanks in advance

Comments

• APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    No weight limit as such. On the way back, at the check in desk there was some discussion between the girl and her supervisor, but she was told no limit applies. Mine was only 21kg all in anyway. I think airlines as a more general rule have a 32kg limit on a single item, so you should be ok.
  • Floodcp
    Floodcp Posts: 190
    I had about 24kgs in my bike box when flying with Ryanair and all was ok. They did weigh it at Stansted but I think this was more to do with the upper limit of 32kg as previously stated. Saw some heavy item stickers being put on other large packages.

Hope you have a good time on Ventoux
  • kaiserpc
    thanks for the replies guys - just the answers I was looking for :)
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I'm thinking of taking my bike with me on Ryanair, Edinburgh to France, in a couple of months time. It would be great to hear how you got on with them. I've never taken a bike on a plane before, so need some reassurance!

Cheers,
    Philip
  • Bodhbh
    Bodhbh Posts: 117
    IWhen I used them they asked me at the desk how much the bike weighed, but did not check. Guessing wildly I told em 20kg and they didn't seem bothered. I don't think you're supposed to stuff the bikebag with luggage, but I wouldn't like to say the likelyhood of them pulling you up on it. I was mildy cheeky, bungeeing a rusksack with the tools in and the front panniers with some bits in to the bike. Though I could at least argue this was part of the bike if it came to it (well, sort of). Not sure I'd want to risk stuffign the bag with bottles of wine etc :).
  • kaiserpc
    Philip S wrote:
    I'm thinking of taking my bike with me on Ryanair, Edinburgh to France, in a couple of months time. It would be great to hear how you got on with them. I've never taken a bike on a plane before, so need some reassurance!

Cheers,
    Philip

Just back - great trip, Ventoux is the toughest Mountain I've done in France - worse than the Galibier, and Alp D'Huez.

Anyway, I can't fault Ryan Air - When you get to Edinburgh airport just join the Ryan Air queue (check-in 27-30). I was asked what weight my bag was - I said 25kg (I packed my toiletry bag, helmet, shoes, most of my clothes etc in my bike bag as well) - they didn't bother weighing it and just put a "heavy" sticker on it. I then took my bike to the oversize luggage check-in at the far left hand side. I managed to get the emergency exit seats both ways :-) and my bike was in perfect condition in France, and back in Scotland :-)

Note: I did pack the bike pretty well though - I had a large soft fabric DHB bike bag, took off the pedals, took off the wheels and cable tied them to the frame, turned the handlebars and put one side through a wheel, covered all the tubing in pipe lagging, put the chain on the biggest chain ring to protect the chain ring, covered the entire cassette, chain, chain ring in 5 metres of bubble wrap (rolled around it) and then put cardboard inserts on either side of the bike and below it.

I would certainly travel with them again
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    No problems with Ryan Air for me either... Took it on without a 2nd glance, arrived in one piece at both ends.

Now BMI on the other hand... (See other thread)
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    Thanks guys. Ryanair's looking like a good bet. If this goes without a hitch, I could see a few cheeky Carcassone flights being taken next year... Then perhaps even a May/June Chambery trip...
  • Marcw
    Marcw Posts: 28
    Any one taken a bike with Easyjet? (Bristol)

I'm off to Italy to cycle Blockhaus/Passo Lanciano in the August heat. Probably wasted my money buying a return ticket...

Any recommendations re Bike bags/cases? I can't afford a £350 bike box (cool though they may be) but need to know best alternatives.

Alternatively, anyone know about hiring bike boxes in the South West of England?

all advice gratefully received,
    cheers,
    Marc
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    That'll be £3.99 for the bike*

* plus £99 per wheel
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Anybody taken a bike box on a BA flight?

How did you get on checking in...any weight restriction problems?

I'm off to France on Monday for the first time.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Marcw wrote:
    Any recommendations re Bike bags/cases? I can't afford a £350 bike box (cool though they may be) but need to know best alternatives.

£350?????

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_E ... 360026102/

I don't own one (Tardis Ground Effect for me). But I've seen them in action and they seem good. A b*stard to lift on top of a van let me tell you.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    andymiller wrote:
    Marcw wrote:

£350?????

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_E ... 360026102/

I don't own one (Tardis Ground Effect for me). But I've seen them in action and they seem good. A b*stard to lift on top of a van let me tell you.

0/..

That's the box I'm using to take my Scott to France on Monday.
  • Marcw
    £350? see below:

http://www.bikeboxalan.co.uk

Anyone know how likely a bike is to make it through unscathed in a bike bag?
    Obviously in the above thread people seem to have been ok. Any horror stories out there?
    cheers,
    Marc
  • Marcw
    whoops didn't do that link right, sorry.
    http://www.bikeboxalan.co.uk
    hope that's better
    marc
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I believe you. Th point I was making was that you don't have to pay £350.
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    Marcw wrote:

I'm off to Italy to cycle Blockhaus/Passo Lanciano in the August heat. Probably wasted my money buying a return ticket...

Alternatively, anyone know about hiring bike boxes in the South West of England?

cheers,
    Marc

I went Easyjet from Liverpool to Berlin, and they were fine. No problems at all, except for the usual waiting, cueing, waiting, cueing, waiting, cueing......
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Marcw wrote:

cheers,
    Marc
    I used the CTC plastic bag method for 2 bikes, Easyjet Bristol to Pisa. The handlers (I saw them) did indeed treat them with respect, standing them up on the luggage trolley, and personally carrying them out to us at the baggage collection place. I wouldn't take my carbon bike this way, but was very pleased and happy with the treatment my cherished steel audax bike got and my g/f's aluminium road bike. No damage whatsoever, plus the CTC bags are easily carried on tour, which was a big issue as we had nowhere to leave more cumbersome packaging/bags. It was also a simple 10 minute process to pack/unpack at the airports, just turning bars, removing pedals and fastening the bags with a zip tie and a bit of duck tape to secure the excess flappy bit. Testament to the success of this approach, the bags remain in perfect condition after 4 flights.
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    I'm going to go with the clear plastic bag method when I go away in September. I've been away twice before, and packed 2 bikes up in stronger bike bags. I've prettywell disassembled the entire bike, wrapped it in pipe lagging, cardboard, the works, and been faced with a major reassembly at the other end, then a dissassembly when returning, and of course a reassambly when home. It's just not worth it. Much as I like tinkering with my bike, it's too much.
    So plastic bags for me this time.
  • disgruntledgoat
    Gotte wrote:
    I'm going to go with the clear plastic bag method when I go away in September. I've been away twice before, and packed 2 bikes up in stronger bike bags. I've prettywell disassembled the entire bike, wrapped it in pipe lagging, cardboard, the works, and been faced with a major reassembly at the other end, then a dissassembly when returning, and of course a reassambly when home. It's just not worth it. Much as I like tinkering with my bike, it's too much.
    So plastic bags for me this time.

To be fair, and maybe i'm just lucky, I've never been one for the total dismantle and have never had a bike damaged yet (10 years of trying!). I generally just take off pedals, bars, seatpost and rear mech (wrap in bubble wrap) and use the spacers you get with the frame for the front and rear drop outs. Then wrap it in an old thick table cloth and chuck it in a bike bag.

My mate, on the other hand, spends about 3 hours packing his.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Marcw
    That sounds pretty much like a total dismantle to me - what else can you remove other than the wheels (which are the easiest bit!)?

Marc
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    I bought that bike bag off wiggle for £99 12 months ago. Stll not used it though.
    My mates bike [carbon scott] in a soft bag was chucked off the carousel at Palma by the shagaluff crowd who thought it was good fun.
    Took a bike to Large item scanner at Manchester and security told another guard he was training, to always check bike bags on the scanner in case people were trying to carry unrelated articles in the bikebag. Might just have been a jobsworth but......
  • storck
    storck Posts: 64
    Hi im just back from Ventoux was over with Veloventoux for Tour,flew Ryanair from Edin to Marseille no probs with bike case they dont weigh them you just take along to over sized luggage area put on belt and off it goes,good luck with Ventoux been up Bedoin side 3 times now and that bloody forrest section still goes on and on.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I think the more it looks like a bike the more respect it gets, but you cannot rely on it.

But I do not take valuable bikes (except my folder in a suitcase with padding), because I have had damage and at least evidence of rough treatment in the past. I saw a bike in a case fall from the hold to the concrete a couple of years ago. I cannot believe it was ok.

There is a choice between wrapping it well so it might survive a kicking, or leaving it looking vulnerable so they are careful with it.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • disgruntledgoat
    Marcw wrote:
    That sounds pretty much like a total dismantle to me - what else can you remove other than the wheels (which are the easiest bit!)?

Marc

Fair point... I do remove the wheels.

However, said friend has to put the chain back on and recable, plus undo about 30 layers of cardboard and pipelagging. Not how i want ot spend my holiday, but there you are.

@gietvangent
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    kaiserpc wrote:
    Hi,

I'm off to France next week with my bike (going up Mt Ventoux), I'm flying with Ryanair (from Edinburgh to Marseille). I can't find anything on Ryanair's website about weight limits for sporting equipment (I've already paid the £30 each way for them to carry my bike).

Does anyone know if they have a weight limit on bike bags? They state that checked baggage i.e. a suit case has a limit of 15kg (and then they charge £14 extra per kilo!!!), but there is no mention of a limit on sports equipment.

I don't want to get to the airport and they charge me an extra fortune on weight limit grounds. I'm not taking any other hold luggage with me (as they chrage £20 per bag) - so I'm hoping to stuff some of my stuff in the bike bag, and carry the rest as hand luggage.

getting nervous now that they will charge me, thanks in advance

I am just back from Ventoux and flew from edinburh to marseille with ryan air. The only question they ask is how much it weighs. Tell them apporx 25kgs and you are sorted. They never ask any more than that.
    Brian B.